Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2006, 15:03   #31
BHPian

How to handle this situation ?

In line with the topic i will tell what happened in my case in Chennai. A few days back i was returning home in two wheeler. Suddenly a white Scorpio began to honk at me from behind. I moved to left and waited for the Scorpio to overtake. Instead in the rear view mirror the Scorpio moved to left and continued honking. I waited for some more time and slowly reduced my speed, put on my left indicator and stopped my vehicle. The Scorpio stopped close to me and a few kids popped their heads up. I asked the driver what is the issue. Driver looked terrified and did not open his mouth. When i asked again, he told me to talk to Sir inside. The Sir inside was a teenager . I parked my vehicle and asked the teenager what he wants. He said FO. Meanwhile one more person who it seems watched the entire stuff from his car, stopped and got with two of his friends. He did not even talked. He just beckoned the guys in scorpio to come out. The guys without opening came out. They were three of them. Then he asked the driver why he was chasing me. He told the Sir asked him to do that. The boys began to apologize to me and asked me to forgive them. I asked the other man who came to let them go. He was not happy but he said we do not have options and left. My query is how to react in this circumstances ?
Old 1st September 2006, 18:09   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,
i may be the wrong one to comment on the thread given that i am 16 but i agree with most of views out here.
I know many people who are underage and have gotten fake licenses and drive like they own the road, even in their school uniform.
While i also drive, i limit my driving to private roads and do whatever i want there and i know that if i drive on the road, i will always respect the laws, even if i am given the car to drive on self (which is never going to happen till i am 18). Infact, i'm practising my parking skills and reversing skills as they will be more useful then driving on the roads in a place like India. Afterall, whats the point of driving if you can't park the car properly?
I honestly feel that instead of tackling the issue of underage drivers, one should tackle the issue of fake licensing that goes on.
Old 1st September 2006, 18:50   #33
BHPian

unless we change the license issuing and policing system in our country NOTHING is going to work. Why talk about under age kids.. haven't u seen cabbies drive? Infact everyone does brake rules... going on one ways, jumping to the opposite lane coz there is a jam, list is endless and you'll see a fair number of so-called educated, mature guys doing this.
Issue license based on ability to follow rules not just age (yes keep the eligibiility to over 18 only). Make driving license test the most difficult one to clear. Enforce fines and heavy punishments. If people are caught with a traffic offense cancel their license and ask them to re-take the test.
No other solution is going to even vaguely fix this problem!
Old 1st September 2006, 20:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

In karnataka I have see a car being operated with auxillary pedals on the front passenger side , all the driver has to do is change gears when instructed and turn the steering wheels..
Old 1st September 2006, 20:44   #35
BHPian

My query is how to react in this circumstances ?[/quote]

Firstly bringing the focus back its not a case of underage driving
Not much options, let go of the situation, though my hands would itch to do some physical work they can just be temptations. But definetly make a scene and try to see where it can mentally hurt them. so atleast they get a lesson before doing something like this again.

Some time ago on a sunday afternnon My freinds car was scratched from the left side by a Amby, as the amby guy was trying to over take from the left to come on to the right lane.

W stopped the car and got and the driver got out with lot of air and started abusing us. We inturn started arguing that its was his mistake meanwhile the Janata had assembled and were opining that the amby guy was at fault, All the while the Guys in the rear seat never moved a muscle and appeared to be reading a paper. The driver was getting nervous seeing the crowds reaction started apologising, saying sahib was in a hurry. I was really cheesed by now and noticed that it was a govt car.
Then i started insisting for a police complaint. This moved the sahib and he come out and try to use his clout saying we can go to anyplace a book a case against a govt vehicle. at this point i used the little grey matter that god has not been genrous with me and told him that we will lodge it on sunday. I have not studied law, but fundamentally know that govt cars are not to be used on sunday when they are not on duty.

The sahib must have realised somethng ( like he must have been using the car which could be classified as personal use or what ever) and completely changed his stance and was more apologetic for his drivers behaviur and he made a act of scolding him and offred to repair our car.

Guess what my freind was drving???
A Prmier padmini which was at the brink for its FC. So he just collected a small cost and we moved away from the scene.

That was when I learnt that anger just clouds the brain be cool you can leverage any situation to your favour if you are in the right.

Phew that was a long one

Last edited by kiranpashtakar : 1st September 2006 at 20:49.
Old 1st September 2006, 20:51   #36
BHPian

car being operated with auxillary pedals on the front passenger side , all the driver has to do is change gears when instructed and turn the steering wheels..[/quote]

These are mostly used by driving schools, to let the learner concentrate on other things and whilst the instructor controls from the passenger side.
Old 1st September 2006, 23:05   #37
BHPian

hey ppl.....i dont drive yet as i m not 18.
i know driving since i was 12 but have not yet driven on public roads......

on the 1st page koooliooo said that one likes doing what one is banned from.......

i really dont agree to that.....

its up to the person to decide....

i am just waiting to turn 18..........11 days to ho....yesss

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks