Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2014, 15:17   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Experience with Office Transportation & Hospitalisation

Sorry to interrupt again but from the narrative it really looks bad on the part of the company to send someone recuperating from trauma on a foreign business trip with his crutches and without any assistance. Can you atleast expect a higher and fatter paycheck/bonus for taking all this trouble?
Old 25th August 2014, 17:32   #137
Senior - BHPian

selfdrive - you have a very engaging way with words. Thanks for sharing a really hilarious account of your commute woes!
Old 27th August 2014, 14:23   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Sorry to interrupt again but from the narrative it really looks bad on the part of the company to send someone recuperating from trauma on a foreign business trip with his crutches and without any assistance. Can you atleast expect a higher and fatter paycheck/bonus for taking all this trouble?
Yes, I totally agree with you! But to be fair, this is my side of the story so it could sound a bit biased. My manager would have a different story to tell you. That one would be fictional though

As for what I get? I get to continue to slave away at my job. No difference in thickness of paycheck. Bonus, what is that?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
selfdrive - you have a very engaging way with words. Thanks for sharing a really hilarious account of your commute woes!
Thanks joy! My woes do not end at the commute but considering the topic for this forum I am trying hard not to cross the topical boundaries of travel
Old 27th August 2014, 14:31   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Yes, I totally agree with you! But to be fair, this is my side of the story so it could sound a bit biased. My manager would have a different story to tell you. That one would be fictional though

As for what I get? I get to continue to slave away at my job. No difference in thickness of paycheck. Bonus, what is that?!

Thanks joy! My woes do not end at the commute but considering the topic for this forum I am trying hard not to cross the topical boundaries of travel
Actually, living with crutches is far easier in the west than in India. Wheelchair access everywhere.
For example, in India going to a movie theater could mean climbing stairs because the elevator does not go to the actual floor the cinema is on.
No such issues in the west I guess!
Old 28th August 2014, 09:54   #140
Senior - BHPian

I tried to keep myself busy by putting together a tower using the crutches, the laptop bag and the side of a chair. I was trying to build a structure to support my ankles while I stretched my legs in front of me. While I occupied myself with inane engineering, multiple arguments erupted around my dangerously leaning tower. People were jostling each other to get into the plane. Maybe there is free food for the first few people who enter.

I limped into a corner and dragged my little engineering marvel along. The lady announcer with the seat row numbers was getting more and more flustered with every passing minute and trying to ensure that everyone would get to board without calling for an ambulance. The bedlam continued unabated.

Thankfully a good friend called from the Americas. Thanking heavens for the time difference, I ensured I kept talking till the crowd thinned out. The European airline lady finally asked me to board the flight. Inside people were still trying to defy the laws of physics by creating space where there was none. I found some space in the coat area for my crutches and hopped over to my seat.

One passenger across the aisle was trying to negotiate another seat because he didn’t want to be seated near a baby. I am nothing if not baby friendly, so I volunteered to switch seats. The parents of the baby were glad to have some time for themselves. The baby also seemed happy to play with a person that was not its own parent, for a change.

After a while we started to taxi. The baby started to doze off, so I went back to playing with the remote. The flight attendant reminded me to keep my legs inside the seat area to avoid any unwelcome bumps. I dozed off with my eye caps in place and woke after an uneventful flight, which does seem quite a rare commodity these days.

As the flight began its descent, the airhostess informed me to stay seated till everyone else had vacated the flight.
selfdrive is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 10:05   #141
Senior - BHPian

Flights are quite boring. The only worse things could be sitting in the third row of an Ertiga, or the second row of a Linea, or the driver’s seat of an i20. Wait, this list was getting longer. So it may not be such a bad thing after all. Except that the food is always inadequate.

I stared at the small tray of food with miniature packets of butter/ jam. These sizes were not designed with people like me in mind. There have been flights where I have been through two of those meal trays (the other donated by a willing colleague, not stolen) and still hungry for more.

I am used to eating every half hour or less from vendors in Indian railways over 24 hour journeys. Seated at the door of the train on half a newspaper. Reading the other half. Then switching the newspapers. Sipping watery railway chai or tomato soup while trying hard to keep the flimsy plastic cup intact. Eating bread omlet and veg cutlet in khandala ghat (the pune mumbai deccan queen in the rainy season still rocks!), hot pakodas, upmavda (upma + vada), dal vada, steamed groundnuts, bhel, a cut raw mango or a guava with chilli powder and salt one after the other. Looking at the passing scenery while wondering whether the water drops hitting the face are from rain or someone washing their hands from a window further up the train.

Walking across the compartment trying to steal furtive glances at the few girls around (years ago). Talking to complete strangers and striking up conversations without any reservations (yes both personal and ticket!). Finding that vacant upper berth in an overcrowded train and stretching out to read a book while juggling the walkman and two audio cassettes in the pajama pockets. What bliss.

The wheels screeched onto the tarmac bringing me back to my claustrophobic flight. The seatbelts were unlocked and the luggage bins were opened. Mobiles were switched on and random uninterested relatives/ friends were informed that the flight had landed. Reflexes rivalled those of Formula 1 drivers waiting for the green light.

It almost seems that people feel suffocated when they aren’t online. Why dont we live our lives for what we want to do instead of what we want to post?
We take more pictures than actually sitting and enjoying the moment itself. All the DSLRs and lenses have made us all the next self professed photography expert. Just look at all the facebook walls around.

I glanced back to the queue of people with hanging bags and was reminded of the overcrowded buses back home

Last edited by selfdrive : 28th August 2014 at 10:15.
selfdrive is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 11:12   #142
Senior - BHPian

selfdrive - I stumbled upon this thread this week on Monday. Your posts just made my Monday so peaceful and smiling !!
I am hooked on to your posts. I feel like you are just expressing each and every thing that runs through my mind !!

I can only keep imagining a suited booted babu walking with a grumpy face with crutches. Well, that too brings a laughter on my face !!
Get well soon man.
Hope you are doing good in Germany too. Do keep us posted on your encounter with Germans, you know what I mean.

Cheers !!
Old 28th August 2014, 12:48   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
For example, in India going to a movie theater could mean climbing stairs because the elevator does not go to the actual floor the cinema is on.
Cinemas are barely my concern here. Other more basic things are, such as navigating a stretch of pavement or access to a public toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
selfdrive - I stumbled upon this thread this week on Monday. Your posts just made my Monday so peaceful and smiling !!
Glad every little helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I can only keep imagining a suited booted babu walking with a grumpy face with crutches. Well, that too brings a laughter on my face !!
Hope you are doing good in Germany too. Do keep us posted on your encounter with Germans, you know what I mean
Well I cannot do much about the grumpiness, I note that it usually manifests itself here. I didnt have a single problem travelling in Germany. I returned within a few weeks to India. My boss is German, so it is quite possible that there may be an encounter Indian 'ishtyle'. Dont know which of us will pull the trigger first!
Old 28th August 2014, 16:53   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Glad every little helps!
Hey Selfdrive. Awesome stuff here and I can't believe I haven't seen this thread for so long ! I see the time period is during the first half of 2013 when I was still in Pune and I now know why there weren't any morning meets for bun omlette

While the hospital part was quite scary, it's nice how you bring out the lighter side of the whole experience.

Keep it flowing. Will be looking out for more.
Old 29th August 2014, 14:18   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I see the time period is during the first half of 2013 when I was still in Pune and I now know why there weren't any morning meets for bun omlette
Thanks Tarun, I hope Mysore is treating you well.
Yes 2013 was a bit difficult as I was dependent on others to travel around
A majority of my visits were to the hospital and physio sessions so was out of action for quite some time
A lot of bun omelets and misal pavs to catch up on
Let us know when you are in Pune next
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 14:39   #146
BHPian

Quote:
I pulled my earphones from my pocket and kept myself busy half wondering/ rest imagining why people were so keen to get in to the airplane. It wouldn’t leave without you, you know?
I have been wondering this myself during all my recent travels May be they are keen to know who's going to sit next to them! I have never been lucky in my life, so that keenness is taken away. I am fine whosoever sits next to me as long as they don't encroach my already sparse space - I mean my seat..

In one of flights recently the crew was so insistent that I stand in the queue to board the flight.. I told him, I have decided to be the last one to board the flight. So if sit for some more time on couch (that would be last time I would be stretching my legs before journey ends) or stand in queue and do it - how does it matter. He did not have any answer..

keep the posts coming. They make me smile, The way you present everyday nagging routine & humor, both are great..
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:33   #147
Senior - BHPian

People do seem to be normal when you talk to them but I have no idea why they mutate when they are seated in a plane or a car in the driver seat. I tried hard to stop myself from drifting back and forth from my memories.

I and my baby neighbour were now enjoying the entertainment minus the popcorn. We sat and waited. The baby’s turn arrived and she gurgled and waved a cheery and salivating goodbye. The parents looked at me as if pleading for some more minutes of babysitting.

Finally a cheerful lady walked up the empty aisle and helped me to my wheelchair at the door of the plane. She was perhaps half my size. I assumed there would be someone else to push me, but there wasn’t. She brought the wheelchair to one of those golf carts.

I half waved; half twitched thumbs at all the early leavers from my flight as we quickly overtook them. Losers, ha! No embarrassment this time.

The lady asked me about my flight and where I was headed for. We approached a set of escalators where she took the entire golf cart into an elevator. I offered to get down and walk to the smaller elevator but she would have none of it. She brought me directly to my boarding area for my flight connection.

After ensuring I was seated she asked me if I needed any help with the vending machines or perhaps a newspaper or a coffee. No tip solicited for, a cheerful goodbye and get well soon later, she drove off into the terminal horizon with her golf cart.

Another uneventful flight later, I had a similar helpful experience at my final destination. I was even helped into my taxi with my luggage and crutches.

I wonder why people say that the west is more materialistic

Last edited by selfdrive : 2nd September 2014 at 09:36. Reason: formatting
selfdrive is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 16:36   #148
BHPian

Hope you are not in any kind of hibernation mode Please please continue the fantastic writing .
Old 3rd April 2015, 16:05   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Hope you are not in any kind of hibernation mode Please please continue the fantastic writing .
Thanks for your kind words and for reading through

Not hibernating as much as being pushed against the clock I guess. It has been a long time since regular logons here.

A lot of filth has flown through the Mula Mutha (open air sewage line maquerading as rivers in Pune) during this time

Will start posting shortly
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 14:26   #150
Senior - BHPian

Update:
I am extremely glad to report that with time, I have moved on from the memories of the surgery and physiotherapy. There must be some link between fading memory and follicular disability.

Consistent traffic jams on my commute helped a lot in convincing myself (and of course more importantly my wife) that 2 wheels are better than 4. Instead of me lugging a car around for 4 hours a day, a bike will bring me home in around 2 hours.

Of course there were pre requisites to be met. So the old bike was sold. The new bike limit was 150cc, so I went in for a Gixxer 155. To get the satisfaction that I stretched the set limit. Biking safety gear has also been included to get the Soviet cosmonaut look. A multipurpose mesh jacket that helps me shiver in the mornings, get drenched during rains and then sweat during the day. A pair of semi gauntlet gloves which are perfectly shaped for my laptop-typing- shaped hands. And of course a helmet which barely allows me to look around anywhere else but straight ahead. A little similar to the contraptions put on the heads of horses.

I feel equipped now to deal with the commute on BRTS line routes. Keeping on the left lane and riding at 40 (speed, not age!). I also look forward to riding on the brand new 5 year old flyover in Pune (added facility of traffic jams at different levels)

Here is to safe riding and a happy commute to you all too
selfdrive is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks