Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2013, 21:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Live Traffic Updates, Now on Google Maps

Have used it in Delhi quite extensively but there has been a lag of upto 30-45 minutes a lot of times. I mean when even when the traffic has cleared for 30-45 mins it still shows as red. Similarly green even when the traffic has started building up.

It definitely makes the decision easier when there's an alternate available but cannot be trusted 100%, yet. The updates need to be quicker.
Old 10th January 2013, 22:50   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
On a separate note, this service offers a brilliant integration opportunity for players like MapMyIndia who provide navigation systems in the car.

If cellphones can provide it, should not be too difficult for MMI/Garmin to do it.
Wanted to reply earlier, but the network was a bit lagging in my phone.

With my limited knowledge, I think it is difficult to provide traffic info on the in-car GPS devices.

The traffic info that we get on google maps is due to the network based GPRS/3G i.e. the internet data connection that our phone is connected with.
This data is downloaded on the phone via this connection.

The GPS devices that are used in cars, the inbuilt ones as well as the MapMyIndia type ones just use a GPS receiver that receives the position data from the satellite. It is no where connected to the internet AFAIK and hence, to update maps you need to plug in to a PC.

Hence, according to me, as far as you don't get internet connection to the device, it would be far difficult to integrate the traffic info in there. Or there should be some way to sent the traffic data via the GPS receiver as a solution.

I am telling this with my limited knowledge and might be mistaken.
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 08:19   #33
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Wanted to reply earlier, but the network was a bit lagging in my phone.

With my limited knowledge, I think it is difficult to provide traffic info on the in-car GPS devices.

The traffic info that we get on google maps is due to the network based GPRS/3G i.e. the internet data connection that our phone is connected with.
This data is downloaded on the phone via this connection.

The GPS devices that are used in cars, the inbuilt ones as well as the MapMyIndia type ones just use a GPS receiver that receives the position data from the satellite. It is no where connected to the internet AFAIK and hence, to update maps you need to plug in to a PC.

Hence, according to me, as far as you don't get internet connection to the device, it would be far difficult to integrate the traffic info in there. Or there should be some way to sent the traffic data via the GPS receiver as a solution.

I am telling this with my limited knowledge and might be mistaken.
Now when I think of it, yes, with current primitive implementations it does look difficult.

The GPS navigation devices are basic receivers and won't be able to handle this. Some GPS trackers do take a SIM for sending SMSs and in general conveying information. Those might have a better chance to implement this, but then again, they do not have a user-interface at all.

A combination device - a GPS receiver + tracker - is the best bet. Is MMI listening?
Old 11th January 2013, 12:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a separate note, this service offers a brilliant integration opportunity for players like MapMyIndia who provide navigation systems in the car.
Hello SDP,

Yes possibilities are immense.

What you mentioned in another is absolutely correct: A combination device - a GPS receiver + tracker - is the best bet. Is MMI listening?

This will be specially useful for people like you who already have MMI like devices installed in your Car & getting live traffic updates (+ voice warnings) on its screens will be great.

Also have you tried this service in morning or evenings? Do you find the information generated accurate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Hello Carzone,

As SDP suggested - A combination device - a GPS receiver + tracker - is the best bet. Is MMI listening? with a device like this it can very much be possible. This is just a matter of mapping comanies being open to idea of collaborations & having open systems - then leave the rest to IT guys like us & it will be done.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 19:44   #35
BHPian

If anybody wants to know technically how it works, here it goes-

The model used by Google for this to work is called Crowdsourcing. They do not collect this information from service providers but from individual handsets. Basically, they monitor the location and speed of users either using GPS or if GPS is turned off, then using Cell tower triangulation. Hence, collecting enough information from a sufficient number of users, they can get a pretty good idea of how fast the traffic is flowing in a given road. According to Google, the data collected is anonymous and cannot be traced back to you (to catch you for speeding, for example ). Needless to say, the more users contribute, the more accurate it gets.

So, in order for you to contribute, you need to ensure the following (assuming android handset)-
1. Background data enabled
2. Contribution to Google services enabled
3. Optionally GPS enabled and navigation in use. I personally have found that enabling the GPS and active navigation makes the data much much more accurate (no gain for me though, it will help other people who come after me). However, merely enabling the GPS in setting does nothing. You need to actively keep maps or other navigation software running. Else, GPS stays off and the system uses cell tower triangulation.
dutta_d1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 22:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutta_d1 View Post
If anybody wants to know technically how it works, here it goes-

The model used by Google for this to work is called Crowdsourcing....
Does that mean that at any given point of time if there is no one with data service switched on, on a particular stretch, it would show as green?

And wherever we have a jam we definitely have people with data services switched on?

I would like to believe this but somehow don't feel very confident about this.
Old 11th January 2013, 22:12   #37
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Also have you tried this service in morning or evenings? Do you find the information generated accurate?
I have been checking out my regular stretch on Google Traffic since last 2-3 days and its quite accurate. I anyways know the traffic pattern for this stretch, so checked the history patterns as well and they do make sense.

My only grouse is the main Central Avenue of Hiranandani Powai which eats up upwards of 15-20 minutes for less than half a km, is not shown on traffic records at all. The traffic details starts after you exit Hiranandani Powai and meet the JVLR road.

PS: Your thread appeared in TBHP-facebook feed. Its also listed in Hot-Threads today!
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 23:27   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Does that mean that at any given point of time if there is no one with data service switched on, on a particular stretch, it would show as green?

And wherever we have a jam we definitely have people with data services switched on?

I would like to believe this but somehow don't feel very confident about this.
No. Doesn't show as green. If no information is available, nothing shows at all. However, Google has more tricks up their sleeve. If no information is available, they predict the information from past, considering factors like this time last week, etc.
Old 14th January 2013, 10:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Hello Fine69,

If there are no live updates through data services of mobile devices, Google Maps can anyways predict the traffic situation based on historic data.

Also I believe this service will definitely not be dependent only on updates from andriod devices. I feel they must have tied up with Mobile service providers for live feed of movement of mobile phones in a particular area. Because most of the people have found this updates relatively accurate & this will not be possible only through data updates from Andriod devices.

Quote:
PS: Your thread appeared in TBHP-facebook feed. Its also listed in Hot-Threads today!
Hello SDP,

Thank you for a information. It feels really good & gives you a sense of pride & accomplishment. I did not knew about this T-BHP Facebook page. I will subscribe to this page today itself.

Thanks,
Old 17th June 2013, 22:57   #40
PPS
Senior - BHPian

I feel the Traffline app is more accurate than the Google Maps! It also gives out alerts about traffic jams which the Google Map doesn't!
Although the other day Traffline tweeted not to use the subway but i still used it & surprisingly it was quite a breeze! I guess they are more dependent on users for information!

Last edited by PPS : 17th June 2013 at 22:59.
Old 29th December 2015, 16:31   #41
BHPian

Refreshing an old thread on traffic updates on Google Maps...
I recently noticed google providing traffic data on routes with further improvements.
- There is a toggle switch on the map page, which when turned on will update the route with traffic information.
- You have the option to choose Live traffic or Typical traffic.
- In typical traffic option, you can select the day of the week and time as in the attached picture.

Is this something new? or did I miss it earlier.
Either ways, found it quite useful in planning as well as for live updates.
Attached Thumbnails
Live Traffic Updates, Now on Google Maps-google_trafficdata.png  

Old 29th December 2015, 17:14   #42
BHPian

I used to rely on google maps while leaving from my Hinjewadi office. Typically the whole route from Hinjewadi chowk till about pashan would be red with some parts dark, blackish red !!

But I always treat this data with a pinch of salt. There is always some lag in updates and the traffic shift is reflected a little late in the maps. Maybe refreshing gets newer data. All in all it is a good guide to get an idea about the traffic condition.
Old 15th September 2016, 10:29   #43
Team-BHP Support

Just got a notification with this update. Pretty cool!

Live Traffic Updates, Now on Google Maps-screenshot_20160915102342.png

Live Traffic Updates, Now on Google Maps-screenshot_20160915102400.png

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th September 2016 at 10:31.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks