Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2006, 12:44   #1
BHPian

Taxis SAFEST mode of travel on Bombay-Pune Expressway

Have been following with interest a recent thread on a Volvo crash on the Bombay-Pune Expressway and I posted there that I remember reading taxis are the safest. After Googling, I found the link and yes, it seems taxis are the safest!

Cool! Taxis are safest on expressway
PUNE: While overspeeding, driver fatigue and wrong over-taking are among the major causes of road accidents on the Pune-Mumbai expressway, taxis and 'cool cabs' have emerged as the safest vehicles with the lowest accident record.
Complete Article: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...18,curpg-1.cms

Having driven on the Expressway a few times in my car, besides using Volvos and taxis, I tend to agree--the taxi chaps really drive well and besides the discomfort if you're sitting in the rear seat of a Zen (I don't even want to imagine how it would be in a Wagon R taxi--I've seen a few), it's a smooth, quick ride, though expensive.

Another thought that comes to mind--if Bombay-Pune taxi drivers drive so well, how come Bombay cabbies are such dangerous drivers who drive as if it's a free-for-all on our roads?
Old 10th May 2006, 13:01   #2
BANNED

WagonR is actually bigger and more comfortable than the Zen. The tall boy design gives more room for back seat passengers.
Old 10th May 2006, 16:02   #3
BHPian

Having been in cool cabs a few times I do agree that you feel safe in them as the drivers generally are older guys who stick to a decent 80kph speed (in my experience).
Old 10th May 2006, 19:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

If the vehicle is yours and you depend on it to make a living, then I bet you will be careful. That I think is the rational explanation. For bus drivers, they dont give a damn!
Old 10th May 2006, 19:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

off topic, on this route some of our colleagues were drugged and looted(in separate incidents), and one died. they took so called shared taxis.

make sure you always take authorised taxis(if there are).
Old 11th May 2006, 17:32   #6
BHPian

off topic:
vivek, I think you are talking about the 2 Infy cases.. :-(
Hard to believe a person can take a ride in a car (not a taxi) with unknown people and meet that fate inspite of same case happening a week before in the same company !

Always take buses or cool-cabs (authorised taxis)!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks