Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2013, 19:29   #46
BHPian

Re: How a bunch of goons ruined my wife's evening

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post

I called was assured of action. They told someone from Mico Layout police station will contact me. Promptly I got a call from Inspector Rajesh. He asked to come down to Police station tomorrow and file a formal complaint.
Please go well prepared. Be very careful in wording your complaint. It has to include criminal actions and intent without which the complaint will fall flat. Write down everything that happened at home. Go over it a few times in detail and add all the points that you have missed out. Also remember to store a copy for later use. You will forget the actual details later, if and when there is a trial.

Do not hold back any punches. This first complaint will be the basis of the entire case. You will not be able to add stuff later. I would also suggest that you do not lie about any of the facts. Small untruths may taint the whole story and actually favour the opponent.

Quote:

Let us see what transpires there.
If the cops are registering a NC complaint, absolutely nothing will happen. If they do register a FIR, then they will try and catch hold of the guys, conduct an investigation, record their statements and even make an arrest. But they would normally get bail in a day, unless you are able to make out a strong case of intimidating, harassing, verbally and physically abusing a woman, and extorting money from her under duress.

Talk to a criminal lawyer. I cannot guide you completely here. Hope this helps.
lapsi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 19:57   #47
RVD
BHPian

Such a scary incident for the lady. My sympathies are with her. I think that it is a great idea to have a T-BHP SUPPORT GROUP. All the volunteers have to do is give his/her contact number & location ( work and home). A database can then be made as per the location. It is understood that the volunteer is not obligated in any way and his/her availability would be at his convenience.

I have been involved in two such incidents and in one case, I had to pay up and in the other case I let my fists do the talking. What I have learned in both cases is that having number by your side aaalways helps. It is especially helpful, if it is your wife/ mother/ sister that is involved and you are not around.

Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 20:12   #48
BHPian

Looking at how road rage is growing, i guess it makes sense to have car dvr's installed. May not have helped instantly in this situation but would definitely help if you want to pursue police action later.
Old 29th January 2013, 21:27   #49
BHPian

Acroback,
Here is what I think you should do,

Call up some lawyers, use all the contacts you can get. Ask your friends, their friends in short, anyone who you think has a little bit of experience in this.

Since you know the bike number, it shouldn't be a problem to press charges against the owner.

Find out if the hooligan actually works at the Hyundai showroom. Get in touch with the management for the same.

You can also press charges against the Police station that refused to help.

Crime against women is a very important topic in today's times. If I were you, I would contact the media and tell them about the whole experience and see if they could report this somewhere. Specially, the police station that refused to help your wife.

from now on, please carry some self defense equipment with you in the car. A pepper spray for your wife would be a start.
Old 29th January 2013, 22:01   #50
Senior - BHPian

I could not post the incident details earlier due to work.

Last night when I saw Acroback’s(Pradeep) thread, I called him up immediately to understand what was happening. Pradeep informed me of the situation and he mentioned his wife is still inside Fortis hospital. This was at around 9:10PM. Since I stay close to Fortis, I drove to Fortis. Once I reached there, I called up Pradeep, he informed that his wife had left around 10 mins ago with a friend after paying the goons. I blasted the security guy and the parking attendant for their inability to protect a single lady in distress. They did not speak back. Since I knew couple of senior people within Fortis Management, if I could have reached earlier I could have contacted them immediately and also taken help from a friend who is well connected to end the matter yesterday night. But unfortunately it didn't happen. It is understandable as anyone in that situation would want to resolve the situation as soon as possible.

I came back home and asked Pradeep to post a detailed report as even he was unsure of what exactly happened.

Today after speaking with Pradeep, I got to know about the details about the way the security behaved and the usual ineptitude of police.

I spoke to my contact at Fortis and through him I got in touch with the DGM at Fortis. I spoke to him about the entire incident and mentioned about the way the security handled the situation. He apologized and promised to enquire about the incident and call me back. The DGM called me back in the afternoon and informed me what happened according to the security.

The accident occurred just outside the gate of Fortis hospital, after the accident Pradeep’s wife got down and spoke to the guys who had fallen and then parked the car inside. After she went inside, these rouges wanted to break the car’s glass but were stopped by the security. After this, they brought in 15-20 people and formed a mob and waited for Pradeep’s wife to come out. Once she came out they started threatening and harassing for money. The security guards intervened and protected her from the mob and informed the mob to move outside the hospital premises.

I spoke to Pradeep and he confirmed that couple of security guards did help his wife but later the security supervisor came and messed up the situation by siding with the mob and asked the guards to not help her and settle the matter outside the hospital. This is when his wife had no choice but to pay the goons and get out of the place.

The DGM has asked both Pradeep and his wife to meet him tomorrow to discuss this matter and assured of action in case of any fault by the security.
Please meet the DGM tomorrow and explain what happened, also please file a police complaint and register an FIR. Unfortunately my friend is abroad and I could not contact him to use his influence and I may have to travel tomorrow else I would have accompanied you.

While it is understandable that our police are very inefficient and never come to the aid of common man, the way the security supervisor messed up the situation is disheartening. At least the Fortis management has assured us of strict action and apologized for the incident. I hope no one else faces such situation ever again and the culprits are booked and arrested.

Pradeep, please inform me if any of the details I have posted are incorrect.

P.S: Fellow members, please stop posting messages asking to learn the local language to get out of such situations, this incident can happen to anyone even if they know the local language. I am travelling to Mumbai for a day's work tomorrow, does that mean I have to learn Marathi. We have many languages and many different customs, it is impossible to learn all the languages spoken in India. Stop this regional and language bias and think of being an Indian first. If you cannot help, it's fine, but please stop posting such messages to learn local languages and other irrelevant information.
speedmiester is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 22:53   #51
BHPian

Ok, my wife checked the car in detail in morning and she texted me in evening with pic that looks like bike did hit the car. It hit the left rear side of the car around rear wheel.

All she can recall is that the bike was blinded by another car and by the time she was done taking her turn she heard a speeding bike nearing the rear of the car and falling near the Car with sound.

She went to inquire if everything is fine and returned seeing all was well.

I am putting this, because I do not want to gather unnecessary sympathies. I do not know if my wife was at fault. But looking at way she drives I think she is not lying when she said that she was blinded by another car when the speeding bike hit the back of the car.

So, I am going to ask my wife to be truthful and not to feel guilty. Accidents happen, the speeding bike did not stop in time, happens all them time. We have insurance for the same. Why did they harass her and threatened is what unnerves me.

Last edited by acroback : 29th January 2013 at 22:54.
Old 29th January 2013, 23:20   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post

I am putting this, because I do not want to gather unnecessary sympathies. I do not know if my wife was at fault. But looking at way she drives I think she is not lying when she said that she was blinded by another car when the speeding bike hit the back of the car.
Acroback

Not sure if you know this, but if you has been rear-ended, it is ALWAYS the fault of the person who has hit you from the back. It can never be the fault of the person in the front.

The person driving / riding has rear-ended you because:

- He / she had not maintained sufficient distance between him and the vehicle in front of him.

OR

- He / she had been going too fast to brake and come to a halt.

From what I understand, it seems like your wife was in the process of turning into the hospital premises from the main-road and she was on the extreme left-hand-side of the road. So the bikers had no business going THAT fast in the left-lane in the first place. I'm assuming the biker was trying to overtake another vehicle from the left and couldn't spot your wife's car turning and crawling into the hospital premises. It is not her fault at all.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 23:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

@Acrobak--I'm distressed after reading the trauma your wife had to undergo. Please have the courage to pursue it further, as suggested in the prior posts.

@suhaas307--The first post says she was taking a right turn into the hospital. I'm not sure about the layout of roads in that area, but if one needs to turn right from the main road to enter any building, due care should be taken to give way to vehicles that are travelling in the opposite direction. The right of way lies with the opposite direction vehicles.

It could be a case of 'shall I go first or you?' situation, and an error in judging the speed of the opposite direction traffic, though I am not sure if this was really the case.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 00:34   #54
BHPian

Can you, for the benefit of everyone, post the details on how you dealt with him and how the argument/negotiation went?
Did cops play any role at all after you paid the token amount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
The guy returned after 4-5 days for the money, meanwhile I had sought opinions from all relevant people ( including T-bhp) about what my course of action should be. Well prepared I dealt with him resolutely and the guy had no choice but to leave. I guess the time that I bought after the accident and that I prepared myself in the interim helped me immensely.
Old 30th January 2013, 00:42   #55
Senior - BHPian

It does not matter any more who was right and who was wrong when the accident happened.
The behavior of the biker after the accident deprives him to that claim. What happened outside was unintentional on part of acrobak's wife. Hence the term "accident". But the threats made inside the parking and the damage done to the car (with kicks etc) was completely intentional and much more serious in nature.
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 02:18   #56
BHPian

Very scary incident. Under those circumstances, I am glad that your wife managed to get away without any physical harm.
When such incidents occur, I think nothing helps more than being calm and composed. This is easier said than done, especially in where its a lady against multiple thugs.
Knowing local language wont really help much as my Brother in Law who is from Bangalore was beaten up by two such thugs for a similar "accident" about a year ago. All that transpired was that:
He was driving a big car, they were riding a bike and were probably from around that area.
For everyone who gathered there; it was a case of Rich Vs Poor or the Haves Vs Have Nots.

Next Course of Action for you? Sanest one would be to let it go.
For future, make a list of friends/well-wishers who could rush for help when needed.
The Hyundai showroom story is most definitely a false story. At best the guy who pulled it off might have a friend/relative working there. Even otherwise, going to the showroom in order to identify the thug is not such an easy task.
Consulting a lawyer and lodging a police complaint might work. But then, you may have to grease a few palms to get things moving.
Old 26th February 2013, 19:15   #57
Senior - BHPian

Maybe I am but any updates on how this ended? This sort of "accident" can happen to anyone and I would like to know if the cops finally stepped in and did some work for once.

OP?
naveenroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 21:59   #58
BHPian