Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2013, 14:42   #1
BHPian

Funny "Traffic Awareness" Video from Gujarat : Must watch!

Check this 3 minute short film on Traffic awareness in Vadodara city

PC77 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 13:42   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Funny "Traffic Awareness" Video from Gujarat : Must watch!

Great video, thanks for sharing. Few people can combine humour with a serious underlying message. Hats off to Paritosh Goswami for a class act.
Old 30th January 2013, 14:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Let us try to make this go Viral.

I am sure someday our roads will be safe and people will want to obey rules.
Old 30th January 2013, 14:24   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi guys,

Came to Ahmadabad for 3 days to do some office work. I was surprised to see the driving method followed in the city and was thinking to start some liners on this, then found this thread.

Traffic here is crazy and no body cares for any body, safety seems to be a an additional feature. Traffic comes from all direction and goes in all directions, crossing every body in mm and risking everybody's life as in the video..

For eg, If a car has crossed 85% of a traffic junction , another car/bike/auto/rick guy will try to cross him thru the balance 15%. One really need a special skill set to drive around here with out any issues.

Met other BHPians like AVR and Ramky yesterday.

God is great .

Still city rocks !!.

Last edited by Rajith : 30th January 2013 at 14:50.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 14:35   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hey thanks for a nice video.

In the related lists on youtube found another good one.

bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 14:44   #6
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Hi guys,

Came to Ahmadabad for 3 days to do some office work. I was surprised to see the driving method followed in Ahmadabad city and was thinking to.......Still city rocks !!.
Haha PC77 Thanks for the Video from GJ6. It is very nicely made, though I'd say a bit over the top, the traffic isn't as bad in Baroda.

Rajith,
I have grown up in Baroda, and Yes atleast in our friend circles being able to drive in Ahmedabad was a benchmark of Skilled drivers .
The city still rocks though !!
Old 30th January 2013, 15:39   #7
BHPian

Nostalgia I lived in Ahmedabad for a year (2010-11) and keep visiting as I work for a Gujarat based company. I absolutely love that city however, wish that people start driving with a bit more patience. What's unique about Ahmedabad (or any other city in Gujarat) is that in between all the madness, one never sees road-rage. I used to move around in my DL registered black Santro. There were occasions when someone would cut into my way or jump the signal to block my way, being a Delhiite I have been conditioned to stare or make hand gestures at such moments. In Ahmedabad, staring is futile as they never look at you or when they do, do it with a smile. Bottom line - No road-rage. Even the traffic policemen I interacted with during my stay were very friendly.

Driving in the Satellite area is still fine, try and go towards the old city (Kalupur/Bhatiar gali). It's a test of one's estimation of space, and patience.

Me and my Delhiite friends used to joke with our Gujarati friends/colleagues - Is driving on the wrong side, your way of preparing for driving in USA? (No offense meant to anyone).
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 15:47   #8
BHPian

This video has shown only 10% what we are facing in Ahmedabad, thanks to BRTS.
I am Gujarati and feel very shame to say that people here are completely "Ravan" kind of.
They dont follow any kind of rules, Red light or Green light they dont even follow Police at some places, due to BRTS people dont take U turns to follow the directions, wrong side driving is their style to save the time and money. And if we call them not to drive in wrong side they say blame it on BRTS no one is ready to take long U turns, if we call them very strictly people are ready to fight verbaly with you at any time and even some time physically too.
People belive that anywehre parking is allowed here, even on the road near to divider, just imagine!! I can post some photos about this here but it really hurt me to portrait Gujarati people like this.
hiren959 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 16:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Let us try to make this go Viral.

I am sure someday our roads will be safe and people will want to obey rules.
Hi,

This was posted on Bangalore Traffic Police FB page sometime back and had a good amount of shares. This really shows the scale of traffic sense in our country and how much time will it take to change this outlook
Old 30th January 2013, 17:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
In the related lists on Youtube found another good one.
Nice video!

But then, What do we have to say about the female not wearing a helmet and texting while waiting at the red light? Isn't it equally grave?

IMO, it would have been more appropriate had it been portrayed as a Helmet campaign video.
Old 30th January 2013, 18:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Awesome Video, thank you so much.

Not only in Gujarat, but almost everywhere its the same story. Clippings like these need to be on TV (In all major channels) so as we atleast make some progress in increasing some awareness towards following some law on the roads.
Old 30th January 2013, 18:59   #12
BHPian

I couldn't agree more with the sentiments of Paritosh Goswami.

Its been 3 years since i came to Ahmedabad and i still haven't gotten around to understanding that what provokes the locals to drive the way they do !

For those familiar with Ahmedabad, Crossing Thaltej round-about is a nightmare to say the least, more so if you are walking .

Ahmedabad does have beautiful roads but the lack of basic driving courtesy kills the pleasure.
Old 30th January 2013, 19:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
I couldn't agree more with the sentiments of Paritosh Goswami.

Its been 3 years since i came to Ahmedabad and i still haven't gotten around to understanding that what provokes the locals to drive the way they do !
It's just not Gujarat. Traffic sense is bad all over the India.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 20:57   #14
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Brilliant video! Thanks for sharing.

We need many more initiatives like this. May be a few which are not as subtle and are direct and hard-hitting.

The first chap who doesn't stop at the red signal, the first chap who drives on the wrong side, the first chap who parks in the no-parking zone - those are the main culprits. The others are mostly followers.

Some of these "first chap"s need to be caught and taken to task right there, so that others get the message.

A few hundred rupees of fine is not the solution. Public humiliation might be.
Old 30th January 2013, 21:39   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Had been in Baroda for about 3 months. The roads are good and wide, but the nobody has patience. Everybody wants to be a star on the road by bullying around and this includes lady drivers/riders as well.

One my colleagues who is from Anand quoted this during one of the weekends during our casual drive to the city malls "Aise nahi chalayato, Mardh nahi hota" and my reply "Aishi hi chalao, murdh to definitely hota"

Most Viewed