Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2015, 20:38   #781
BHPian

re: Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
A very sad incident indeed. Unnecessary loss of life. One of the victims, Sambhavi, was a senior from my school. Both of the girls were freshly placed graduates. My thoughts & prayers with the family of the deceased. May God give them the strength to go through these difficult times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
After this, a long legal battle will follow. Not sure where the case will go to. I bet Zoomcar will not agree to fund all the expenses. Moreover they have lost the car too.
Insurance will wash their hands off this case for the simple reason that Zoomcar themselves admit that the car had 13 people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
They have managed to get huge customer base and ramp up like anything with the relaxed rules but now it is getting out of hand. I would rather lose some customers with the higher deposit, 21 year old age limit and additional logistics for fuel being borne by driver than have to deal with such fatal incidents.
Dear Vidyut,

Your points are very valid. In a bid to increase their customer base, they expanded too fast. Reducing the age limit was a hasty decision and it is costing Zoomcar money and reputation both. Instead of providing insurance cover to the driver(post 5k damages), Zoomcar should start charging them for everything, inlcuding minor scratches and dents. And even if the damage is above Rs. 5000, the member should pay up. This will ensure that people don't take the service lightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post

There was this guy in a Scorpio with 11 people inside it. 3 in front including driver, 5 in back seat (couple of children), 3 in last row jump seats(one kid was standing in between) being driven rashly and trying to lose everyone in the RVM.
Sad but true. We Indians do not value life at all. We wear seat-belts because cops will catch us, buy helmets as cheap as possible, select variants which do not have 'unnecessary safety features' & buy cars made of compressed cardboards.(Maruti Omni anyone?) In the above case, the children standing in between the rear seats and middle ones would have been thrown out through the windshield had there been a sudden braking maneuver.
searchingheaven is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 22:09   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

Video seems to be private, can you please make it public?
Yeah sorry it was private, have made it public. You will be able to watch it now!
Old 18th August 2015, 10:21   #783
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
The best possible solution would be to go for speed governors and restrict the maximum speed to say 90 kmph. This is just a thought. If people can drive irresponsibly without bothering about other's lives, the rental agency should tighten the screws to safeguard their vehicle and name.
If you see the kind of posts people make on the Zoomcar FB page, renting these cars look more like a joke to some people. They just want to take these cars and drive carelessly, since it isn't their car. And the same people beg for offering discounts on the mercs and fortuners because they want to take it for a spin desperately. Recently, when they increased prices, a lot of complaining was made.

Now if such incidents happen repeatedly, how can they continue to offer less prices and deposits? Next if they introduce a speed limiter, you will see many such posts which say "Zoomcar is a cheater, won't let us go beyond 90kmph", and there was already a post which complained that the car didn't have a warning about overspeeding and stating that the fine was very "unfair".

With such morons out there renting cars, I feel bad for Zoomcar to be frank. Imagine random people paying for your car's fuel and then wrecking it before returning the car to you. There are many posts where people are standing on the hood of the car, hanging from the windows of a Nano etc. How can such cars be in top shape?

I guess such repeated incidents will lead to increased prices and deposits. It's welcome though.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 10:37   #784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If you see the kind of posts people make on the Zoomcar FB page, renting these cars look more like a joke to some people. They just want to take these cars and drive carelessly, since it isn't their car. And the same people beg for offering discounts on the mercs and fortuners because they want to take it for a spin desperately. Recently, when they increased prices, a lot of complaining was made.

Now if such incidents happen repeatedly, how can they continue to offer less prices and deposits? Next if they introduce a speed limiter, you will see many such posts which say "Zoomcar is a cheater, won't let us go beyond 90kmph", and there was already a post which complained that the car didn't have a warning about overspeeding and stating that the fine was very "unfair".

With such morons out there renting cars, I feel bad for Zoomcar to be frank. Imagine random people paying for your car's fuel and then wrecking it before returning the car to you. There are many posts where people are standing on the hood of the car, hanging from the windows of a Nano etc. How can such cars be in top shape?

I guess such repeated incidents will lead to increased prices and deposits. It's welcome though.
You have made a valid point. See the difference in mentality between a rented car and one's own car. More than increasing deposits, i would recommend the following:
Before the vehicle is rented out (say a new car), zoom car authorized person should inspect the car in front of the customer. Once the customer comes back to return the car, the same kind of inspection must be carried out for any dents/broken parts. Accordingly the customer should be asked to bear the expenses for the damage.
But the catch here is what if the customer is actually not involved in an accident as a result of which the car has been dented. Say the customer is driving sedately and some private/state owned bus/lorry rams into the rented zoom car.
More often than it is difficult to get the bus/lorry owners to pay completely for the damages induced in the rented car.
What do we do in such situations??
Old 18th August 2015, 10:58   #785
BHPian

Quote:

More often than it is difficult to get the bus/lorry owners to pay completely for the damages induced in the rented car.
Unfortunately this is to be expected to some extent. This is the way our country works. There will always be mischief makers who will try to abuse a service and cause nuisance /raise costs for everyone else.

Some Examples that come to mind :

1.When the Delhi metro started, there was mad rush. And people abused emergency switches, abused seats and in general caused damage. The emergency intercom to the driver was shut down the next day.
There was no queue discipline. Bouncers/security service was brought in.

But now things seem to have settled down. There is decent queue discipline without any security staff and nobody's abusing the intercom /seats etc. Or its minimal

2.I worked for a health insurance startup and we had an unusually large no. Of claims from Bihar/U. P. interiors. They were fraud cases where miscreants bought health policies and then forged hospital /lab documents. They beat up the operations investigator/claims investigator. Some even filed legal cases. One time a claims investigator was abducted and a lot of lobbying the IPS from Delhi and Mumbai was involved to solve the cases. Ultimately this led to company policy of raising the rates disproportionately in those areas.

3.While I was in college at Amritsar, some city areas were notorious for taking two wheeler loans from banks/finance companies and then ganging up to beat the collection agents.
The result : Try getting a two wheeler loan from a bank nowdays. Next to impossible. Two wheeler companies have in - house finance now or have tie ups with NBFC 's that give these loans at 20-24% now. Hiding the high rate of interest in EMI' s
drsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 15:01   #786
adu
BHPian

Pardon my ignorance, but would like clarity on whether anyone with a valid license is allowed to drive a yellow board vehicle? My assumption is that you will need a special provision in your license to allow you to drive yellow board vehicle. Does Zoom Cars not come under the category of yellow board vehicles?
Old 18th August 2015, 15:07   #787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adu View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but would like clarity on whether anyone with a valid license is allowed to drive a yellow board vehicle? My assumption is that you will need a special provision in your license to allow you to drive yellow board vehicle. Does Zoom Cars not come under the category of yellow board vehicles?
Zoomcar uses yellow on black registration plates which is the correct category for self-drive rentals. You still have to pay tax when entering another state similar to commercial (black on yellow board vehicles) but there is no specific requirement for a commercial driving license to operate it.

Some rental companies like Myles do use yellow board vehicles for self-drive as well. Not sure how they manage it.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 15:13   #788
adu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Zoomcar uses yellow on black registration plates which is the correct category for self-drive rentals. You still have to pay tax when entering another state similar to commercial (black on yellow board vehicles) but there is no specific requirement for a commercial driving license to operate it.

Some rental companies like Myles do use yellow board vehicles for self-drive as well. Not sure how they manage it.
Noopster, thanks for the clarification. I had observed that the Zoom Cars board was yellow on black and assumed it was the same as the commercial/ taxi registration. Didn't know there was separate category for self-drive rentals, my learning for the day .
Old 18th August 2015, 20:09   #789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I tried booking a car through Zoomcar yesterday evening and after providing all the details, I made the payment of Rs 15,000+. I received a confirmation from my bank that the amount has been debited yesterday evening. Unfortunately the Zoomcar website continues to provide the following status "Security Deposit Unpaid. Booking NOT CONFIRMED as payment not received."
I made a second booking after finally receiving a call from a Zoom car representative. The booking amount of my first attempt was returned to my bank account last week. The overall experience with zoom car was pleasant except for a small slip up from their side. The Ciaz AT was in good condition and all the details were explained to me before it was handed over.

I had to extend the booking on the night of my return and we called them and confirmed that we needed the extension till midnight. Later on I checked the app and was surprised to see that it was only till 23:30. I called them up immediately and was told that one can only extend a booking till 23:30 and beyond that you pay the late charges plus the hourly rate. It would've been fine except that we were at a music event and I had to miss the last half hour since I had to rush and return the car all because they forgot to tell us that you cant extend it till midnight.

They have deducted the extension amount from the Rs 5000 deposit. Now awaiting the refund amount after having entered my bank details through Citrus cash yesterday.
Old 19th August 2015, 09:52   #790
Senior - BHPian

Inspection of vehicle with a zoom rep before and after rental already takes place and visible scratches / dents are clearly marked on the documentation that is filled out (or photographs taken using the app)

Abusive renters hanging from a nano bonnet or scorpios being driven off road may not cause visible damage that shows up in such a PDI - and nor will standing on the clutch, clashing through gear changes, underbody dents and damage from offroading / hitting road dividers etc. After all nobody is putting the car over an inspection pit and checking it during the PDI.

Quote:
You have made a valid point. See the difference in mentality between a rented car and one's own car. More than increasing deposits, i would recommend the following:
Before the vehicle is rented out (say a new car), zoom car authorized person should inspect the car in front of the customer. Once the customer comes back to return the car, the same kind of inspection must be carried out for any dents/broken parts. Accordingly the customer should be asked to bear the expenses for the damage.
But the catch here is what if the customer is actually not involved in an accident as a result of which the car has been dented. Say the customer is driving sedately and some private/state owned bus/lorry rams into the rented zoom car.
Old 19th August 2015, 11:28   #791
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure about mention of overspeeding here, but I cant keep myself from posting this here:

Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India-scrn.jpg

What a moron!! Wonder how much he struggled to keep it below the limit. And he casually takes a picture of the speedometer at this speed which I have cut though its available in public. This is in a swift LDi without any safety features.

Zoomcar should be blamed partly for this - First they give a barebones car with no attention towards safety, and secondly they happily acknowledge such activities while driving.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 08:41   #792
BHPian

guys. I need a car in Chennai next Saturday and planning for an XUV. Since I will be arriving by train, what is the best pickup point i should choose?

Since XUV's are not as "available" as Hatches, should i book a week in advance? Or is it fine to book just 2 to 3 days in advance?
Old 30th August 2015, 08:56   #793
Senior - BHPian

Puzzled - if you know your travel dates and what vehicle you need what reason would be there to not get your booking over and done with?
Old 30th August 2015, 09:00   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Puzzled - if you know your travel dates and what vehicle you need what reason would be there to not get your booking over and done with?
Well - i dont know my plan and hence dont know my return time yet. Is it possible to modify a booking (return time basically).
Old 30th August 2015, 09:26   #795
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Well - i dont know my plan and hence dont know my return time yet. Is it possible to modify a booking (return time basically).
Yes. You can modify the booking more than 24 hours in advance without any charges. Less than 24 hours before the booking starts has some additional charges.

You can even extend the booking after starting the trip but this is not guaranteed as it depends on availability/booking by someone else for same car.

Alternately if you book more time and you need to shorten the return, they will charge 25% of the total fare and refund 75%.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks