Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2017, 13:07   #1396
Senior - BHPian

re: Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India

Here's a piece of news on Zoomcars profitability.

So even though the revenues grew by 35% YOY, the net result is still in loss.
Set up in 2013, it is high time they start churning out some returns.
Quote:

Self-drive car rental start-up Zoomcar India Pvt. Ltd’s loss narrowed to Rs100.4 crore for the year ended 31 March from Rs101.4 crore in the previous year, according to company documents sourced from Tofler.

Total revenue grew 35% to Rs121.2 crore from Rs89.82 crore in the previous fiscal.

The company’s expenses rose 16% to Rs 221.6 crore in the year ended March. It spent Rs28.2 crore on employees and Rs14 crore in finance costs.
Source: http://www.livemint.com/Companies/GY...in-201617.html

EDIT: Barring 42cr on employee and finance cost (which we can consider as major portion of their fixed cost), the other portion has to be the operating costs of the cars. Comes to 180cr.
Incurring 180cr variable costs for revenues of 121 looks quite bad.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 3rd November 2017 at 13:10.
Old 6th November 2017, 12:07   #1397
BHPian

Yesterday, I had a good time with Zoomcar. Rented a KUV100 from Kochi for 5 hrs (1 pm to 6 pm) to attend a function at Cherthala. There was an offer of 50% off as the booking was made on November 1. It came to just ₹675 for 5 hours.

The car was showing 28k+ on the odo. It was fun to drive, with good ac and good wipers (yes, we were accompanied by the rain all the way from Cherthala to Kochi during our return). The space on the offer was also good.

For the return, we were late by approximately 30 minutes due to traffic congestion at Vyttila. However there were no additional charges. The only issue I felt was that their pickup/drop point is located in a narrow road, which leads to traffic congestion if there are too many bookings at the same time, which was the case yesterday. Overall experience was great and I will use their services again if the opportunity arises.
knightrider_7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 15:05   #1398
BHPian

I have booked a Swift for 6 days on my Rajasthan tour next month. My wife and son (1.5 yrs) are accompanying me. We'll fly to Jaipur from Bangalore and pick up the car from Jaipur airport. I have requested zoomcars (by mail & on their FB page) to arrange for an infant-seat but they have declined. Should I carry my current infant-seat from Bangalore with me? It's quite heavy (Chicco Eletta Comfort) to carry and may get damaged while loading and offloading cargo from the flight. Is there any channel (twitting zoomcar CEO etc.) to 'persuade' zoomcar for a child seat?
Old 6th November 2017, 15:32   #1399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I have booked a Swift for 6 days on my Rajasthan tour next month. My wife and son (1.5 yrs) are accompanying me. We'll fly to Jaipur from Bangalore and pick up the car from Jaipur airport. I have requested zoomcars (by mail & on their FB page) to arrange for an infant-seat but they have declined. Should I carry my current infant-seat from Bangalore with me? It's quite heavy (Chicco Eletta Comfort) to carry and may get damaged while loading and offloading cargo from the flight. Is there any channel (twitting zoomcar CEO etc.) to 'persuade' zoomcar for a child seat?
You can email the CEO directly. Email : <his first name>@zoomcar.com.

Tried it once and he replied within 24 hours.
akshaymahajan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 16:55   #1400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
Yesterday, I had a good time with Zoomcar. Rented a KUV100 from Kochi for 5 hrs (1 pm to 6 pm) to attend a function at Cherthala. There was an offer of 50% off as the booking was made on November 1. It came to just ₹675 for 5 hours.

The car was showing 28k+ on the odo. It was fun to drive, with good ac and good wipers (yes, we were accompanied by the rain all the way from Cherthala to Kochi during our return). The space on the offer was also good.

For the return, we were late by approximately 30 minutes due to traffic congestion at Vyttila. However there were no additional charges. The only issue I felt was that their pickup/drop point is located in a narrow road, which leads to traffic congestion if there are too many bookings at the same time, which was the case yesterday. Overall experience was great and I will use their services again if the opportunity arises.
I have booked that KUV for later this month. Good to hear that its in good condition. Yes, their warehouse/office/garage is in a residential area with narrow roads. I believe it was deliberate as they were earlier getting heat from the local taxis. Have you met the in-charge? Hes an old friend of mine.
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 17:08   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
I have booked that KUV for later this month. Good to hear that its in good condition. Yes, their warehouse/office/garage is in a residential area with narrow roads. I believe it was deliberate as they were earlier getting heat from the local taxis. Have you met the in-charge? Hes an old friend of mine.
Yes, the vehicle is in good condition, and no, I didn't meet the in-charge. Glad to know that he is your friend. I will surely meet him next time.
knightrider_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 22:31   #1402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the mail does not work, then you can try putting it in the check in baggage. I did it twice and the car seat was marked "fragile" both times and handled with care. The car seat is still in use, though relegated to my dad's car whenever she uses it. So, I guess you can go the check in baggage route if there is no other option
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 23:16   #1403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am exploring a similar option early February. May I ask how much are the charges for 6 days, and is there a cap on mileage per day? And do they deliver at Jaipur airport?
Old 7th November 2017, 00:23   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I am exploring a similar option early February. May I ask how much are the charges for 6 days, and is there a cap on mileage per day? And do they deliver at Jaipur airport?
I am paying nearly 19K for 6 days. This includes pickup and drop at Jaipur airport. The rate is high for the particular week I am traveling as it is coinciding with the famous fair at Pushkar. In Feb, I think the rate's going to be significantly lower.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 07:38   #1405
BHPian

The problem with all these self drive services is that the maintenance of the cars is very poor.

I had rented an Figo Aspire last year to drive from Bangalore to Vellankani - the car was rented from Revv. When the car was delivered, it was dirty outside and inside. Also along the way, the brakes seems to be sticking and squeaking loudly. Made the trip however.

The second car I rented from them was a Scorpio to drive from Bangalore to Chikmagulur. This was extremely dirty, the driver who dropped the car at my place was rude and the gear shift stick kept on unscrewing itself and nearly coming off due to the vibration. I had to literally screw it back every couple of kilometers to ensure it didn't come. Despite telling them all this when they picked up the car, there was no apology or anything. Also the AC was so dirty that dust was coming out, a foul smell and all of us got sick when we got back.

After both experiences, I decided it is better to use my own car. Simply not worth the headaches after paying so much to rent.
motorguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 17:06   #1406
Senior - BHPian

Zoom Car: Self Drive Rentals in India

Quote:
This post is for Ankan and all others in the forum. Please avoid Zoomcar Jaipur. I had a terrible experience yesterday. I am currently visiting Jaipur for work and we had a Sunday off so we decided to drive to Ranthambore for a jungle safari.
We opted for a home delivery at 6 in the morning. The person who came in the morning explained us about the charges, however, he also mentioned that if the damages exceed the security deposit amount we need to pay him the excess money in cash. We did not pay much attention to that as we were in a hurry to leave. Also, as far as I knew damages were limited to INR 5000.
The car was not in a very good condition although we did not expect much. It was a base model Figo driven around 44k kms.

So we left at 7 and reached back home in Jaipur at 10 PM. We had booked the car till 11 PM and 340 kms. The same guy came in the evening and he went directly to the left rear tyre to point out a bulge(as if he already knew it was there). He said that we will have to pay for the rim damage. First of all it was a tyre bulge that wasn't visible for the naked eye. It was more of a mm of dent on the tyre. He claimed we had damaged the entire rim. We argued for sometime. We had clicked pictures but it was not very clear from the image since it's a very very small dent and the pictures were taken when it was dark.

Thereafter, he started asking for money for cleaning the car since it was was dirty. We had driven the car for 370 kms on a highway so there was a layer of dust on the car. That's it. Not even dirt marks. He was adamant. He said kept asking for money and the argument went on till 11:30. Since it was late and we did not want to wake people up in the neighborhood we told him we won't pay and went up.
In the morning we realise they have deducted an additional 1500 bucks.

Points to note. The person was dicey right from the beginning. He wasn't very polite and was more of a 'iska yeh charge uska yeh charge' kind of a person. And as told by him one person owns all the zoom cars on Jaipur. So we don't expect a better experience with Zoomcar in Jaipur next time.

Last edited by Pancham : 20th November 2017 at 17:19.
Pancham is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 18:02   #1407
Senior - BHPian

I tried looking for a XUV on zoomcar. However, I cannot find any in Pune. I thought it would be an availability issue, but seems they have withdrawn XUVs from their fleet.

Any news about this or if someone could confirm?
Old 21st November 2017, 20:40   #1408
BHPian

Hired a Scorpio from Zoomcar, Coimbatore for a 3 day trip to Valparai with friends. Initially I was allocated a scorpio with broken hand brakes 66k on the odo. Since we were travelling to hill station spoke to customer care and replaced that one with a 17k run Scorpio. The car was ok but had speed governor installed with max speed being 80kmph. Was tough to drive with that speed limit when returning back from Athirapally thru NH47 to Coimbatore. I thought their speed limit was 125kmph. But the pick up and drop was pretty quick.

Last edited by smrtdvl : 21st November 2017 at 20:41. Reason: Typo
smrtdvl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:31   #1409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
I thought their speed limit was 125kmph.
125kmph was Zoomcar policy and latest government regulation made 80kmph speed limit mandatory for commercial vehicles.
Old 23rd November 2017, 17:28   #1410
BHPian

Zoomcar Bengaluru now has Tata Hexa in its fleet. Now that is a proper 7-seater for comfortable family/friends touring. IIRC it is the XE variant I saw
anthusiast is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks