Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2018, 16:38   #1456
BHPian

re: Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
I had recently rented a Ford Aspire in Bangalore through ZoomCar. I can confirm the speed limit is indeed 80 kph. It is as per the directive from the government and has been stated by other BHPians as well, earlier in the thread.
Yes, As on date all Self Drives have been locked to 80Kph be it Zoomcar/Revv or others.

This is really a pity.
Old 11th June 2018, 02:05   #1457
BHPian

Booked a ZoomCar through their Deal Shack section. Was feeling restless, so just booked a car, and went on a long drive.

The car I chose was a Honda Jazz. It was a S-MT variant, equipped with ABS but no Airbags. I have never driven Honda Diesels before, so chose to give it a try.

The car had run over 71000km, but was in decent shape. Not much physical damage, good tires (looks like they were replaced within the last 10-15k kilometers) and was neat and clean from the insides.

Zoomcar's procedure was simple, everything was handled through the App, no zoom representative was needed.

The engine feels really gruff, but the low end punch and city driveability is good. The refinement is worse than the 1.3 MJD cars, not sure if that's by nature or due to poor maintenance. The car would pick up pace from as little as 40km/h in 4th gear. One grouse was that the clutch pedal seemed to be set too much forward. If I rest my foot on the pedal, it would naturally get pressed slightly, and the lack of dead pedal didn't help either. The car was not limited to 80km/h, and being an older example, it also lacked Airbags.

The experience with Zoomcar was good, and I would definitely book their deals again. The ultra cheap prices make for great choices for sudden getaways, but for longer trips, I'd still prefer Drivezy, for their newer and better conditioned cars.

What struck me about ZoomCar's Deal Shack is the prices. I booked my car from 10PM to 2AM, for 100km, for a mere Rs 426.

I know it's an odd time, and the cars are usually idle during this period, but here's what struck me.

The car returned 14.7 km/l over 99km of driving. That equates to 6.73 litres of diesel being used. At the current rate of around Rs 69.5, it comes to Rs 467 for just the fuel used.

Technically, I got a car and used it thoroughly, for a price less than the car's running cost.
Attached Thumbnails
Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India-img_20180610_215429.jpg  

Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India-img_20180610_215716.jpg  

Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India-img_20180610_220422.jpg  

Last edited by ts1506 : 11th June 2018 at 02:15.
ts1506 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 12:06   #1458
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend who intends to book a Ford Endy through Zoomcar for his upcoming drive to Pondicherry had a question regarding the speed limit.

I am aware that its due to Government notification that all self drive cars have now got a limit of 80 KMPH but wanted to know if this will be the case with Endy too (whether it is for all categories of cars)?

Earlier I remember that they had a limit and one could still cross that and then after couple of such attempts the driver would be blacklisted or something of that sort. However, I am reading through last few posts that now the vehicle itself won't cross the limit of 80 KMPH.

Can someone who has hired a selfdrive car in recent past enlighten me so that I can share that info with him?

EDIT: I think I have nearly got my answers few pages back as I looked for it and the fact is that the cars will come with a pre-installed speed limiter and one can be lucky only if any of their cars may not have it as yet.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th June 2018 at 12:25.
Old 12th June 2018, 12:28   #1459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
A friend who intends to book a Ford Endy through Zoomcar for his upcoming drive to Pondicherry had a question regarding the speed limit.
Booked a Hexa & a Scorpio back to back in Bangalore last week. The former was fairly new & the top speed was limited to 80 kmph whereas the Scorpio was a 2016 model with 91xxx odd kms. on the odo with no limiter.

However, both cars were in good condition, pick up / drop off & payment for the extra mileage was seamless. Had a chat with the fleet executive at the airport regarding the speed limit and was told that Zoomcar is in the process of increasing the limit to 100 kmph.
Babuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 12:31   #1460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post
Booked a Hexa & a Scorpio back to back in Bangalore last week. The former was fairly new & the top speed was limited to 80 kmph whereas the Scorpio was a 2016 model with 91xxx odd kms. on the odo with no limiter.

However, both cars were in good condition, pick up / drop off & payment for the extra mileage was seamless. Had a chat with the fleet executive at the airport regarding the speed limit and was told that Zoomcar is in the process of increasing the limit to 100 kmph.
Thank you Babuda. I guess its fair to assume that there will be no escape from the current limit of 80 KMPH irrespective of the class of car that you rent. You might be only lucky when you get an old one without a limiter.
Old 12th June 2018, 19:47   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can someone who has hired a selfdrive car in recent past enlighten me so that I can share that info with him?

EDIT: I think I have nearly got my answers few pages back as I looked for it and the fact is that the cars will come with a pre-installed speed limiter and one can be lucky only if any of their cars may not have it as yet.
Parag, spoke to my friend who works for Zoomcar and he confirmed that it is limited for all new cars coming into the fleet (starting mid 2017 I believe) irrespective of the class.

I think this step was taken to bring down the number of accidents which was more often. Earlier there was at least one incident of a zoom car in a week, and looks like it has come down to an extent after this limit being introduced.

Last edited by fusionbang : 12th June 2018 at 20:08.
fusionbang is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 03:01   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Babuda. I guess its fair to assume that there will be no escape from the current limit of 80 KMPH irrespective of the class of car that you rent. You might be only lucky when you get an old one without a limiter.
I have taken a Zoomcar Creta, Hexa and a Drivezy Swift, all of these had a 80km/h sticker on windshield, and a receipt of installation of said speed-limiting device. All these 3 cars were registered around Nov 2017 to Jan 2018.

But in real world, none of them were actually limited. The proof, I have taken the cars up-to their 120km/h limit (as per Zoomcar/Drivezy policy).

I have taken self drive cars around 10-12 times, and have not actually seen any car which was truly limited. All experiences are pertaining to Bangalore only.
ts1506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 07:59   #1463
BHPian

Had booked a Hexa last week from Zoomcar in Bangalore. However, couple of hours before the trip start time, I got a call from the customer care saying the Hexa had broken down and was given the option of switching to a Scorpio from the same pick-up location. Reluctantly agreed as I really wanted to drive the Hexa but the main purpose was to just drop my parents at the airport.

The Scorpio allotted to me was a July 2017 registered vehicle and had its top speed limited to 80 km/h.
red.devil_19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 23:18   #1464
Distinguished - BHPian

It seems someone has taken a long term rental

Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India-img_20180628_231601454.jpg
mpksuhas is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 11:47   #1465
BHPian

Dear BHP-ians,

We are planning to visit few temples in the Mangalore - Kollur stretch. We are around 6 adults and 3 kids of the age (4-10).

I was planning to self rent a scorpio from zoomcar and drive for the 3 day trip starting Aug 23rd.
From some reviews I understand that if the booked car is not available, they will try to give some other car. If we reach there and they say there is no scorpio, then it will be a tough situation.

So, my question is:
1. We will get the booked zoomcar for sure?
2. Which one will be a good idea to opt for? Zoom or make use of some taxi service?

Kindly suggest.
Thanks.
deemash
Old 16th July 2018, 16:37   #1466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
We are planning to visit few temples in the Mangalore - Kollur stretch. We are around 6 adults and 3 kids of the age (4-10).
I was planning to self rent a scorpio from zoomcar and drive for the 3 day trip
Sorry for the off topic response.

But are you particular about this being a self drive trip? If not, this package tour by KSTDC is worth a look.
Old 23rd July 2018, 15:41   #1467
BHPian

So I had hired Zoomcar from Nagpur over the weekend. The entire process involved no face to face interaction with anyone and it went fairly smoothly. Few points on the overall experience.

1. I was flying in and out of Nagpur airport but they do not have airport delivery or pickup yet. The pickup point is good 30-40 min away from the airport which makes it very inconvenient.
2. I had hired a Ford Figo Aspire which was in decent condition and is a nice car to drive. Though Zoomcar offers the most basic versions which is quite annoying
3. Car was to be locked and unlocked through the app and the process went smoothly. This is much better than my previous experience when interacting and co-ordinating with the zoomcar executives was a little tiresome.
4. Biggest pain point with self drive rentals now is the stupid 80 kmph speed limiters. This is another of random government dictats without a lot of logic. We were driving on great roads with very less traffic and it felt like crawling along going at 80. There is no point now to go for cars with high performance and we should now just think of them as people movers to take you from point A to point B. I am not someone who drives very fast but this limit is just not practical and possibly dangerous if you try to overtake a fast vehicle. Even a 100 kmph limit could have been far more acceptable. Currently on our highways 70-80 would be the average speed you normally go on and if roads are empty you can easily do 100-110 without driving dangerously.

Zoomcar seems to have picked up their service little bit as sometime back it was really going down the drain.

Last edited by neeravnaik : 23rd July 2018 at 15:43.
Old 23rd July 2018, 17:00   #1468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravnaik View Post
1. I was flying in and out of Nagpur airport but they do not have airport delivery or pickup yet. The pickup point is good 30-40 min away from the airport which makes it very inconvenient.
2. I had hired a Ford Figo Aspire which was in decent condition and is a nice car to drive. Though Zoomcar offers the most basic versions which is quite annoying
I have not yet found any cars with an airport pickup/ drop. How difficult should that be to do? Or they are just worried about the additional expenses to park in the airport? In other countries, it is just so convenient to walk out of the airport directly into the rent a car space and drive out.

for the second point, I thought Zoomcar always had higher spec'ed models; at least those with airbags. Did they change their strategy after car manufacturers started bringing in base versions with airbags?
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 16:46   #1469
BHPian

I am planning to rent a zoomcar in Karnataka. I will be taking it to Kerala.

Will I need to pay the tax at the Kerala checkpost?

I am trying to speak to zoomcar executive from the number: 1860 123 9666, but there is no option to redirect the call to a customer support executive.
Old 2nd August 2018, 19:02   #1470
BHPian

Yes, You've to pay Tax in Kerala. First, Check If the Car you're allotted has any Kerala Tax Paid Receipt. Check in the Dashboard or you can take the help of the executive available at the collection centre.

Usually, the Kerala Tax is collected for 1 year. So, If the previous person who hired the same Car has paid, then you need not pay up to 1 year. If you pay the Tax for 1 year, it's re-imbursed by ZoomCar. If the allotted Car has never entered Kerala, then you need to pay. Try paying for 1 year or the least amount. If you know the local language, you can check the full details with the RTO Checkpost.

In my case, they collected for 3 months. Absolutely no idea, why they took for 3 months only. Blame it on myself being illiterate in Kerala.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks