Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2015, 23:47   #751
Senior - BHPian

re: Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India

Such roads are common in the middle of bangalore's suburbs - and even main roads look like minefields. However there are many obvious cases - if you drive the car down what is clearly even on the map a forest track for example, or not even mapped - where Zoom can definitely implement the rule if pushed.

Even if they dont track it, it is fairly easy to look at the condition a vehicle came back in and assess damages accordingly. A few questions about the holiday the guy took might even establish proof he wasn't driving down a national highway.
Old 15th August 2015, 11:28   #752
Team-BHP Support

If you compare the Myles Merc GLA and the Zoom one- the Myles one looks near pristine like a normal owners. The Zoom ones look a couple of years older
Old 16th August 2015, 06:40   #753
Senior - BHPian

Myles has these terms of use -

http://www.carzonrent.com/terms-of-use.php

Quote:
Tyre misuse: In case of any tyre damages resulting from driving in bad terrain and continued driving in case of tyre puncture, customers will be charged for the cost of tyre on actuals.

Running vehicle in damaged conditions: Customers are not advised to drive the car if it gets damaged in an accident. Customers are advised to inform Carzonrent immediately. In such case, customers will be charged for the cost of spare parts on actuals.

Deliberately driving the car in water: Customers will be charged for the actual cost of repair and spare parts.
And they block 30K from your card.

Zoomcar caps the damage deduction at 5K and has a Rs. 300 fee for any cleaning required is all. Which means better for people who actually use the car and have less to fear if it gets accidentally damaged, but ALSO better for people who want to rent a car and abuse it in ways (off roading etc) that they wouldnt do to their own cars.
Old 16th August 2015, 06:48   #754
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Myles has these terms of use -

http://www.carzonrent.com/terms-of-use.php

And they block 30K from your card.

Zoomcar caps the damage deduction at 5K and has a Rs. 300 fee for any cleaning required is all. Which means better for people who actually use the car and have less to fear if it gets accidentally damaged, but ALSO better for people who want to rent a car and abuse it in ways (off roading etc) that they wouldnt do to their own cars.
This encourages unethical behaviour by way of poor treatment of the vehicle, in the users. It also creates a greater propensity for the next customer's dissatisfaction, not to mention the wear and tear damages on the car in question.
Long term, after the VC money runs dry, I am wondering how sustainable this kind of policy will be.
Indians love "Free" stuff and "Inexpensive" stuff and love it when it comes to one at someone else's cost. We are not the best mannered of people and somehow think we are "smarter" than the system. Hence our propensity to mistreat property/ assets that do not belong to us, is much higher.
Frankly in our country, irrespective of who we may be, only the "fear" factor and "promise of penalty and personal loss" works, if we are to be disciplined in our behaviour while using someone else's asset.
Add to this the woeful roads and infrastructure here and I am sure that if one rents a Zoomcar a year from now, irrespective of the "Class" of car, the renter will see the difference in quality and upkeep. That nice "novelty" feel will disappear and the cars will become jaded. Somewhat like the difference between UberGo and UberX.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th August 2015 at 06:51.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 07:36   #755
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd expect Zoom to be traking their vehicles. And even when you get out of mobile coverage area the tracking devices usually buffers data. So would be easy to know abuse like going off road etc.

How will they know abuse on road? Many of mapped roads are worse than off road
Old 16th August 2015, 07:57   #756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I'd expect Zoom to be traking their vehicles. And even when you get out of mobile coverage area the tracking devices usually buffers data. So would be easy to know abuse like going off road etc.

How will they know abuse on road? Many of mapped roads are worse than off road
Knowing about abuse on road or off - the end result is easy enough to note once the car is returned, as it undergoes a visual inspection after return to assess any damage.

Zoom caps the amount of damages that you are liable for which makes this a bit moot.
Old 16th August 2015, 16:54   #757
Senior - BHPian

cross posting from accidents thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3779944

Two Wipro employees being killed in a road mishap.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle7545414.ece
Attached Thumbnails
Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India-wipro_2512437f.jpg  

Old 16th August 2015, 17:01   #758
Senior - BHPian

Zoomcar may be good in Bangalore or Pune but the condition of cars and customer care is too pathetic in Delhi NCR. I have used them thrice with friends now and it is no more Zoom for me.

I had rented a City for the first time, was shocked to see the condition it was in. It was full of bird crap on exteriors, dirty inside out even though it was just 2600 kms old, it was so bad on exteriors that i could not see anything till i drove to my home to clean up the glass. Called Zoom and they apologised, gave 300 credits and i thought this was a one off case.

Next we took a Figo, this was a ZXI without ABS. They made me wait for an hour at pickup location as car was not remote unlocking and their fleet executive came at his slow pace. This smelled like a rotten rat as the whole carpet of this car was wet, water splashed forward on braking, had to drive with windows open in this sweltering heat, called zoom and got basic apologies with 300 credits, to hell with your credits Zoom I had to run after them for 8 days to get a refund on security deposit.

Last week, we were 6 friends and we rented a XUV to do a small 150 kms dash in a day. Dirty interiors as usual and the tyres on this car were a disaster waiting to happen, seemed as if it was running on racing slicks. Refund again tool 8-9 days and tons of calls.

Would not rent their cars again, Delhi support is pathetic and their cars are even more badly maintained. No clue if they even change brake pads etc on time.

Racing slick tyres on XUV
Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India-team-bhp.jpg

Beautifully maintained Honda city, they expect me to drive in this.
Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India-11807250_10204657327421713_3725242788163475276_o.jpg

Wet floor on their Ford Figo.
Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India-11807674_136189276719127_1033976743772354165_o.jpg

Last edited by coolboy007 : 16th August 2015 at 17:04.
coolboy007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 17:22   #759
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Perhaps ZoomCars should offer only cars that have ABS and Airbags etc.
But they cannot be answerable for the damages caused by dangerous uncontrolled driving habits of the renters.
Seeing that Accident where those Wipro guys were hurt and indeed where some lost their lives, brings to the fore, the extreme dangers that lurk on our Indian Roads.
Old 16th August 2015, 17:29   #760
Team-BHP Support

I think Zoom is expanding too fast for their own good. To get more customers they reduced the age barrier from 21 to 18. Same as legal age for driving but that just adds more immaturity to the drivers using Zoom.

Secondly their rule of fuel being included while making logistics easier is resulting in customers driving rashly and not sedately efficiently. If fuel is on the driver, a big majority of drivers will drive a little more sedately for better FE.

Thirdly, the security deposit of 5K is just too less. This needs to increase for sure.

They have managed to get huge customer base and ramp up like anything with the relaxed rules but now it is getting out of hand.

I would rather lose some customers with the higher deposit, 21 year old age limit and additional logistics for fuel being borne by driver than have to deal with such fatal incidents. IT's getting more and more common nowadays. I heard about a Merc CLA being totalled in Pune recently as well.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 18:30   #761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
cross posting from accidents thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3779944

Two Wipro employees being killed in a road mishap.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle7545414.ece
Just how many people were travelling in that car?

We rented two scorpios for less than that number. So many people loaded in an already unstable car is disaster for sure. Any sudden maneuvers in this condition will send the car all over the road. And shockingly two people passed away due to the stupidity of the driver.

Now, Zoomcar will not cover these guys and the driver will end up paying up every penny for the repairs. Sad, just sad state for whoever took the decision to stuff more than 10 people in a seven seater car. They tried to save money and now will end up paying lakhs.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 18:34   #762
Distinguished - BHPian

3 weeks back I saw a Honda Amaze(Zoom Car) on the NICE road(Bangalore) which lost control, went to the other side of the road and turned turtle. And on the same day, I also saw a Merc(Zoom Car) side-swapping with a Scorpio on the EC Elevated tollway. These days, whenever there is a Zoom car around me, especially on the highway, I try to be extra cautious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I think Zoom is expanding too fast for their own good. To get more customers they reduced the age barrier from 21 to 18. Same as legal age for driving but that just adds more immaturity to the drivers using Zoom.

I would rather lose some customers with the higher deposit, 21 year old age limit and additional logistics for fuel being borne by driver than have to deal with such fatal incidents. IT's getting more and more common nowadays. I heard about a Merc CLA being totalled in Pune recently as well.
Yes, they should increase the deposit, age eligibility and some stricter norms in case of accident.
Old 16th August 2015, 18:34   #763
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I heard about a Merc CLA being totalled in Pune recently as well.
Got this picture from a friend and fellow BHP'ian. As per him it was a 200 kmph crash.

And the driver got away with the 5k penalty on the security deposit. Peanuts for crashing such a beautiful machine.

I agree with you. The deposit has to go up atleast till about 25k - specially for medium to high end cars. They can retain the 5k deposit on cars like the E2O, Swift, Figo etc if they are worried about customer base.
Attached Thumbnails
Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India-image.jpg  

Old 16th August 2015, 19:05   #764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Got this picture from a friend and fellow BHP'ian. As per him it was a 200 kmph crash.

And the driver got away with the 5k penalty on the security deposit. Peanuts for crashing such a beautiful machine.

I agree with you. The deposit has to go up atleast till about 25k - specially for medium to high end cars. They can retain the 5k deposit on cars like the E2O, Swift, Figo etc if they are worried about customer base.
How can the driver get away with 5k penalty? If the speed limit was indeed exceeded by the driver, then he wont be covered under insurance and the repair charges will be borne by the driver. Same applies to the Scorpio right? Since the car was overloaded to nearly double its capacity, Zoomcar has every right to hold the member responsible for everything.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 22:23   #765
Senior - BHPian

I agree with all you guys on the above posts. Today was coming back on Mysore road and I could see close to 10 zoom cars during my 1 hour journey. Also I could see that each and every car was driven very rashly and I had to stay away from them every time.

There was this guy in a Scorpio with 11 people inside it. 3 in front including driver, 5 in back seat (couple of children), 3 in last row jump seats(one kid was standing in between) being driven rashly and trying to lose everyone in the RVM.

I think it's high time Zoom has to have control on their cars and make the customers drive sensibly, I am not sure though how they will get everything on track.

Here is the video of the same from my Dashcam, see how he zoomed off with the Scorpio (Watch in HD)

Last edited by ampere : 16th August 2015 at 23:43. Reason: Back to back posts merged
fusionbang is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks