Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2017, 17:04   #1246
BHPian

re: Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
1. AC non fuctional ...

2. .. it desperately needed an oil change ...
This is actually better than the average condition of Zoomcar.

An average Zoomcar car will probably leave you stranded or in an accident.
Old 20th January 2017, 18:51   #1247
Team-BHP Support

Personal opinion only, but the whole 'cars are allotted based on your driving history' is hogwash, unless someone is repeatedly getting good cars over an extended period. For starters, that logic should've got a good chunk of their clientele banned from ever renting again (those cars didn't destroy themselves, did they?), and it's not really a reward to get the 'best of the scrap heap'.

Some customers will always randomly end up with brand new cars based on availability at a particular pick-up point, but if they were smart enough to actually cycle their cars among 'good' drivers and maintain some standards, they won't be sitting on a pile of scrap in the first place.

Sounds grand, but hard to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
This is actually better than the average condition of Zoomcar.

An average Zoomcar car will probably leave you stranded or in an accident.
Service expectations have dropped so low that a fully-functional car is considered a 'bonus'. Enough said!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th January 2017 at 19:02.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 13:51   #1248
Senior - BHPian

They seem to have got an all new fleet with yet more models. This just makes their maintenance logistics crazy to handle. Let us see, the new fleet should mean decent service on Zoomcar at least for the next two or three months before the new cars are reduced to rattletraps.

Quote:
Dear Zoomer,

Travelling is joyful, soothing and rejuvenating. Well now, it just became so much more exciting! We have added some majestic machines to the fleet that are waiting to take you around. There's no time like the present to pack your bags and zoom off.

Introducing the Honda Jazz and i20 Elite as premium hatchbacks, combining class with simplicity for your smooth travel. The Figo Aspire and KUV100 are perfect for a day out exploring the city with your family. Try the powerful Endeavour for your next roadtrip with the gang and if you want to steal the limelight, why not directly go for the Audi Q3? Whatever your need, we have the perfect car to bring you the freedom of self-drive.

Also, we've increased the fleets of some of your favourites in our fleet. There are many more Swift, Ecosport, Figo and Baleno in all our cities to make sure we cater better to your self-drive wishes.

So, what are you waiting for? Hit the road right now!
Old 24th January 2017, 15:22   #1249
BHPian

I was on a holiday in Delhi/Agra and decided to pick up zoomcar to visit Fatehpur Sikri and Agra. I picked up a Swift for Rs 5300 for 540 kms and 36 hours. This gave me enough mileage and time to go to Agra and come back in time to catch my flight back to Bangalore. I was put up in Karol Bagh and the nearest pick up point was the New Delhi railway station premium parking. Of all the things, it is such a dirty place especially when you are carrying luggage. As soon as my uber dropped me near that place, I was disgusted by the condition of the place.

I then go to the car and plan a thorough inspection and to my disappointment the car was in terrible shape. I expected this as most of Delhi's cars are in pretty rough exterior shape. Here's a couple of pics to prove my point. The front bumper was sticking out. The front door wouldn't close properly and I kept getting the occasional beep reminding the door was not closed(frustrating that was).

[IMG]C:\Users\ram_kulkarni\Desktop\Ram\Personal\Zoomcar \IMG_3536.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]C:\Users\ram_kulkarni\Desktop\Ram\Personal\Zoomcar \IMG_3534.JPG[/IMG]

After unsuccessfully asking for a replacement car, decided to move along anyways. The car was badly aligned and was pushing me to the left continuously. Imagine the pain of driving on Yamuna expressway with a badly aligned car. The engine was beaten up properly. I felt bad for the car because of how it was abused. The clutch was in such a bad shape that there was an uncomfortable drag between releasing it and the car moving forward. BTW the car had done only 54190 kms when I got it.

I finished exactly 535 kms before returning and thanked my stars for returning back intact.

Would I rent zoomcar again? Absolutely not! I am better off hiring a cab.

Mod Note : It is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our pictorial help article on uploading pics.

Please submit images ONLY via the Team-BHP Attachment System.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 24th January 2017 at 15:47.
Old 25th January 2017, 13:13   #1250
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Damn, I recently booked an EcoSport with Zoom Car in a city I'm flying into. Hope it's not a shoddy experience, although I'm not too confident now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
My humble two cents on why is Zoom doomed to fail
  1. Too many locations, even Zip car does not have that many in NYC.
  2. Too many locations means employing many people meaning high overheads Car condition is neither strictly monitored or strictly enforced
  3. Depreciation - most big car hire firms get big discounts of upto 30%. The cars are rigidly sold off within 15000 miles and retailed at markt price so depreciation would be not too much
Awesome post. Add one more = Indians don't know how to treat other's property. We will always abuse someone else's car. I can list a 100 examples. We're just not good people to lend something to.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 13:56   #1251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Damn, I recently booked an EcoSport with Zoom Car in a city I'm flying into. Hope it's not a shoddy experience, although I'm not too confident now. .
Hope that its one of the cities where Zoom has a better network (read as Bangalore) or else "God Save You" !

Quote:
Add one more = Indians don't know how to treat other's property. We will always abuse someone else's car. I can list a 100 examples. We're just not good people to lend something to.
Fully agree with you. Hence, personally as well - I don't lend anything to any one - but I am always ready to help out someone as long as I am doing the task for them (taking them somewhere or using my tools to do some DIY for them etc.)

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 14:58   #1252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Damn, I recently booked an EcoSport with Zoom Car in a city I'm flying into. Hope it's not a shoddy experience, although I'm not too confident now.
GTO, if Myles is available in that city then I'd strongly suggest that you cancel your Zoom booking and book through Myles.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 16:45   #1253
BHPian

I am a regular zoom car customer in Bangalore and once in Kolkata and have always been satisfied with the car, apart from the occasional dirty interiors. But after reading this thread, I just feel damn lucky.
Plan to take a zoom for a week of travel to Jhansi from New Delhi. Is it worth the hassle? I don't like being driven when I can drive, but if the experiences at Delhi zoom are perennially bad, no point.
Is MYLES better?
The trip is planned in march end. What's the advise by tbhpians?
Old 28th January 2017, 00:59   #1254
Senior - BHPian

We're planning a driving trip into Spiti end April - early May, and I'm not wondering if picking up a self drive car is a good idea, or if it's just saner to get a cab with a driver. The stories about the condition of the vehicles are scary indeed!
Old 29th January 2017, 16:18   #1255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
We're planning a driving trip into Spiti end April - early May, and I'm not wondering if picking up a self drive car is a good idea, or if it's just saner to get a cab with a driver. The stories about the condition of the vehicles are scary indeed!
I would urge you to drive yourself through Spiti. I did the circuit in a friends Duster 2WD in august 16, had an absolute blast.

Between myles and zoom, I would rate myles better. They have duster in their line up in delhi which I feel is the perfect vehicle for this trip.

Check which one works out cheaper. If myles is even 20% more expensive, go for it.

cheers
Vishwas
vishwaschettri is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 10:01   #1256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
I would urge you to drive yourself through Spiti. I did the circuit in a friends Duster 2WD in august 16, had an absolute blast.

Between myles and zoom, I would rate myles better. They have duster in their line up in delhi which I feel is the perfect vehicle for this trip.

Check which one works out cheaper. If myles is even 20% more expensive, go for it.

cheers
Vishwas
Thanks much! I'd done a ride through this area and sooo totally want to drive The parents are coming along and we'll be 6, so the Duster, unfortunately won't work. A Scorpio or XUV, most likely.
Old 30th January 2017, 14:13   #1257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
The parents are coming along and we'll be 6, so the Duster, unfortunately won't work. A Scorpio or XUV, most likely.
For 6 people neither XUV nor Scorpio is comfortable. All Scorpio's with Zoom and Myles are with side facing bench seats, so effectively can seat 5 only.

XUV last row seats are a joke and you will have zero luggage space with them up. Though most of the Zoomcar XUV come with overhead luggage carrier.

Myles also had a 4x4 Scorpio (Old Model) at their Mahipalpur outlet which I was considering for my spiti trip. I had personally checked this vehicle in august 16 and found it OK.

Consider Innova also which will be comfortable for 6 and manages all right in this terrain. Myles Innova's are quite well maintained.

I would anyday put my bet on a abused Toyota over Mahindra.

cheers
Vishwas
vishwaschettri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 19:21   #1258
BHPian

Hi tbhpians,
Just looking to get some help on an earlier posted query for using zoom or MYLES for my trip from New Delhi to Jhansi and back.
Two specific questions:
1. Zoom or MYLES?
2. I will end up going from Delhi to UP to Rajasthan to UP to MP on this route. How inconvenient will the state entry taxes be?

Just me and my wife on the travel to and fro... any other things to take care of?
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 19:55   #1259
BHPian

I recently went to Zoom Car yard (Near Sony World signal, Bangalore) to give back the Ritz we rented for one of our trip and was absolutely shocked to see how the staff treated the cars.

All sorts of maniac driving was displayed there - flooring the car in tight spaces, loud braking, tires screeching.

If this is how staff treat their company property, quality of vehicle as well as the service will definitely have to suffer.
Kiterunner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 12:23   #1260
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Oh well, it's not a pretty start to my first Zoom Car experience. They just called and said that the EcoSport is 'in poor mechanical condition' and they'll be giving me a KUV100 instead .

Told them to buzz off. He then gave me an Elite i20.

In comparison, my Myles experience was so much superior. They'd given me a spick & span Etios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
GTO, if Myles is available in that city then I'd strongly suggest that you cancel your Zoom booking and book through Myles.
I tried that right now. Myles is totally booked. Should have tried earlier.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed