Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2020, 15:06   #1651
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
I am never booking a Zoomcar ever again in my life.
The experience was outright pathetic to say the least, I am flabbergasted by the customer experience and vehicle quality these guys are offering. Yes! I have heard a few horror stories but well being an optimist, I didn't expect it to go soo bad. ... ... ...
Years ago... No, decades ago, I used to occasionally hire cars from an outlet in East London (UK). They were old, hard-used cars, and the daily rate was very, very cheap compared to mainstream UK car hire where one always got a car in like-new condition. Your photos remind me of those cars, except they were cleaner!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 16:17   #1652
BHPian

Booked Zoom Car self drive car twice and was disappointed on both the occasions. First time, it was Maruti Swift with over 60,000 Kms on the odometer. Car was making all kinds of noise. It seemed like the car is going to fall apart any moment but fortunately for me, it stayed in one piece over the duration of 3 days.

Second instance, I was not that lucky. This time it was a Ford Figo that was supposed to be delivered at the Airport. The car did not show up at the airport, rather we had to go pick it up from a shady place around 1 hour away from airport. Car was rented for 5 days but it died after 2 days. Zoom car could not provide a replacement and gave me all kinds of wrong information. Customer care was useless and the entire refund process was a mess. It was such a bad experience that Zoom Car is a definite NO.
thetank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 17:37   #1653
BHPian

Lately, I am not hearing any positive feedback on Zoomcar. I wonder what are the senior executives doing?
Like, doesn't the plethora of negative reviews has it's effect on them?
Are they actually not bothered with so many complaints pouring in from various customers! This is outright baffling. I had a lot of hope when they had began it's operation and to be fair the service indeed was extremely good with the pricing being extremely reasonable as well way back in 2016. I just hope they get back on track and run it's operations on their own fleet rather than acquiring ZAP vehicles. On that note, does Revv also provide similar service?
Like you can subscribe to a vehicle and further on rent it to Revv users?
Old 3rd February 2020, 08:17   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
does Revv also provide similar service?
Like you can subscribe to a vehicle and further on rent it to Revv users?

They do.. its called Revv Open
Old 4th February 2020, 14:20   #1655
BHPian

While the opinion of recent users has not been very positive.

I came across this article that presents a different picture.

https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...arges/1811897/
Old 4th February 2020, 14:47   #1656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
While the opinion of recent users has not been very positive.

I came across this article that presents a different picture.

https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...arges/1811897/
Of course if a journalist rents a car for a story he's doing they'd be nuts to give him a filthy rattle trap. They probably prepped one specially for him, maybe even took it to 3M or somewhere for a wash and wax.
hserus is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 15:30   #1657
BHPian

Hi Guys, plan is to take Fortuner or Ford Endeavour from Delhi to Spiti, only zoom car Endeavour, ecorentacar has fortuner in month of May, we are 2 families, (6 members), please let me know if any other options available, Thanks,
Old 4th February 2020, 16:58   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Hi Guys, plan is to take Fortuner or Ford Endeavour from Delhi to Spiti, only zoom car Endeavour, ecorentacar has fortuner in month of May, we are 2 families, (6 members), please let me know if any other options available, Thanks,
Check out Revv car. They have a host of 6+ seater SUVs available.

Pricing wise they're at a slight premium to Zoomcar, but I find it to be VFM as their cars are better maintained (read: cleaner) than Zoomcar's fleet.

I believe Revv allows you to book up to 3 months in advance only, so in case the dates don't come up - just try the app/website after 2-3 weeks.

Last edited by sidpunjabi : 4th February 2020 at 17:03.
sidpunjabi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 19:47   #1659
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Spiti are full of these cars. Quite possible that your hire car would have been there every other week. So check condition etc.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 07:24   #1660
BHPian

Recently I booked Creta from Zoomcar at Siliguri for a week. The moment I saw the car I understood that this was poorly maintained. The front 2 tyres were almost without thread. The spare tyre that was provided was punctured. Interior was not cleaned, covered under dust and all rubbish from the previous tenant are dumped at seats corner. When I called the helpdesk they immediately wanted to refund the money to get rid of the complaint and without bothering to replace the car. When the owner of the car was informed he took the pain to call me to explain that such condition of the car is acceptable and there should not be any fuss around it. Reading the other similar experiences in the thread looks like Zoomcar management is not looking at these concerns and these are acceptable policy.
souvik25 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 08:02   #1661
BHPian

Yet another Zoom car customer wronged; Yet another customer lost for Zoom car!

From a cousin - He booked a Zoom car that was to be picked up at Sapphire Mall. He gets a call saying there's some issue with the car (1st car) and another one (2nd) is assigned to him. This 2nd assigned car is about 6 kms away from Sapphire Mall and located towards New BEL Road.

He takes a cab to the location of the 2nd assigned car. Finds nothing there. Searches. Connects with the customer care. After about an hour of wasting time, he is informed that there is some issue with the 2nd car that was assigned.

He is informed they have assigned him a 3rd car. The 3rd car is located about 10 kms away from the location of 2nd car. The location is towards Peenya.

The disgruntled chap takes off in another cab to the location of the 3rd assigned car. He does find a car there. Except it's got one flat tire. Other tyres look very frayed too.

He doesn't think the car will serve. Another conversation with the customer care ensues. He's complaining of the car condition; it's lack of drive-ability; and his lack of confidence in it.

The customer care recommends he gets the flat fixed!

The cousin has now finally given up on Zoom car and their (lack of) professionalism. Looks like they have one good experience for every 99 bad ones!
Miyata is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 10:06   #1662
BHPian

Quote:
Try Avis Self drive. I'm a happy customer.
K a s h is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 06:56   #1663
BHPian

With so many negative reviews about the present state of affairs of "self-drive" car rentals in India, I wonder why auto manufacturers themselves haven't stepped into this business, as an add-on side business. The benefits I feel are:

1) The fleet would be maintained by their own staff, so more likely it being well maintained and that too regularly.
2) They have the money, so can invest big in the needed assets in multiple places in a city (constructing a dedicated multi-storey parking lot for for fleet depot and maintenance hangar, a small rental office, etc).
3) They stand to gain as it provides an outlet for increasing sales of its manufactured vehicles.
4) They again stand to gain if their vehicles are seen more often on the roads, helps gain mind-share and brand loyalty.

If they feel its a severe distraction for their core business, they can perhaps partner with somebody and just help with #1 above, which seems to be the sorest point per the reviews on this thread. They can split the cost for #2, and they still stand to gain from #3 and #4.

Had it been the US, I'm sure this is the direction a US car manufacturer would have taken. Dunno why it doesn't happen here. Am I missing something?
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 08:41   #1664
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post

Had it been the US, I'm sure this is the direction a US car manufacturer would have taken. Dunno why it doesn't happen here. Am I missing something?
Hertz used to be owned by Ford
Avis mainly had GM cars
Enterprise had mainly Chryslers

The fleets there are rotated every 6 months and well maintained cars were sold off flooding the used car market and have an effect on resale value. Usually, the manufacturer will sell or lease the car to the hire company at cost.(20-30% below retail), cars are sold on and capital recovered.

What happens is that trying to be everywhere means car utilisation gets for a toss so losses happen.

Car companies have other problems to worry about and to preserve resale value, they prefer to offer fewer cars to rental companies. Rather than the Big 3, it will be a variety !
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 14:45   #1665
Senior - BHPian

I was at the airport to drop someone and noticed a deal for a 7-seater Scorpio. I was anyway planning to get a car for a day for transporting some stuff.

Picked up the car at midnight and the drop was at 8pm the next day. Paid less than what an Uber would have cost to to and fro. The car was in nothing great condition, but all the lights seems fined, the brake was ok and clutch was not worn out. The car had done about 93,000 kms and seems one of the better ones amongst the fleet.

Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India-screen-shot-20200222-2.43.08-pm.png

Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India-screen-shot-20200222-2.43.20-pm.png

So far my Zoomcar experiences have been great to ok. But I will no longer book one for intercity / road trip over the poor maintenance. But it all boils down to the cost. Frankly, I'm surprised that they are letting out the car for such a low price. An auto for the same distance would be more expensive in Mumbai for a fact. I would rather pay 2-3X the current Zoom car rates and get a much well maintained car.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks