Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2018, 09:00   #1516
BHPian

re: Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India

Hi All. Just did a Chennai-Puducherry trip on a Zoom i20 Grand in between my trip to the Andamans. here is the experience in a gist.

1. Compared Myles and Zoom over a few days and realized Myles didn't have any choices for airport pickup. Also, the prices were similar. So booked Zoom before leaving Mumbai.
2. Landed, gave a call to the executive and was guided on how to reach the pickup point. The executive did not start until I reached the point and gave. call after waiting for 15 mins, but I guess the language barrier was to blame. Luggage and passengers got inside and went to the Zoom Car yard. There were lots of Scorpios and i20s parked there.
3. The executive insisted that I make a video of the car's exteriors. Did so, noted that Kms on the odometer, and set course. He also told me how to use the app for reaching back to the same place.
4. We used the i20 for approx 45 hrs. The car was in a good condition with about 35k on the odometer. Reached the drop point with just 4 mins to spare, before the scheduled drop, but the executive quickly guided me how to finish the trip so that I am not charged for the late delivery. We were dropped to the airport, and our journey to the beautiful Andamans continued.

All in all, it was a good experience with Zoom Cars. This was my second booking so I am now exempted from paying deposits on my future bookings. (will have to read the terms carefully again). My faith in Zoom stands, and I might not try out other players in near future.
SX4LOVER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 14:49   #1517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'm no way related to this guy, but, thought his ordeal deserves an attention. Personally, I was contemplating to sell me SCross & book a Zoomcar for the occasional holiday drives. But incidents like this brakes to my decision...
Part 2 video - Looks like he's asked to pay 2.5 Lakhs

Not sure who is right, the customer or zoom cars, but, as the complainant says, there're lots of such complaints as comments in his YT channel against zoom cars.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 22:52   #1518
BHPian

What has happened to Zoomcar. They just charged him 2.5 lakhs!! What happened to 10k limited liability. This just proves Zoomcar is turning into a greedy company but I have a feeling it is their management that is trying such tactics to show revenue to their share holders.

Very disappointing
Old 26th December 2018, 22:57   #1519
BHPian

I was about to book my first outstation Zoomcar but this definitely has me scared.
Old 27th December 2018, 06:17   #1520
Senior - BHPian

Compared to a taxi hire, self drive cars are expensive along with poor and shoddy service.
Better to hire a cab than drive such cars.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 09:30   #1521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not sure who is right, the customer or zoom cars, but, as the complainant says, there're lots of such complaints as comments in his YT channel against zoom cars.
I am sure there is more to it that what is being portrayed. People misuse the cars and then try to play victim.

I have rented zoomcar a few times and once had a minor accident as well. While reversing the i20 I got distracted for a sec and hit a tree. There was a major dent in the bumper and hatch door. A few days after returning the car I got a quote of 4.5k which I felt was reasonable and paid it through the app itself. No questions asked.

Last edited by Eddy : 27th December 2018 at 23:03. Reason: Quoting a video hampers readability
Old 27th December 2018, 09:44   #1522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I am sure there is more to it that what is being portrayed. People misuse the cars and then try to play victim
Yes, these days anything including a video & photos can be manipulative.

Pls see the first part of his video & also go through the comments provided in his YT channels. Not all of them could be playing a victim card right?
Old 27th December 2018, 11:01   #1523
BHPian

The video says that the 2.5lac charge came about 15 days after returning the car, a car which had broken down in the middle of the road due to lack of engine oil.

So I went to the Zoomcar app to look up and investigate what might have transpired.

When we try to make a new booking, the Zoomcar app during booking tells us that the fare includes
1. Fuel (optional)
2. Insurance
3. Taxes

No mention of who pays for the maintenance and damage.

So, I went to their T&C for other charges.

The damage charges are clearly defined based on the extent of damage. So there is transparency there.

Couldn't find what the maximum liability was in case someone totals the car, but I guess that is ₹10,000.

What has happened in this case is not an accident but a breakdown due to poor maintenance. If there was no oil in the engine, the check engine light or the low oil indicator must have shown up but it was probably ignored by the driver. Maybe it was because it had been on since the beginning of the trip and not something which happened during the trip.

In case of maintenance related breakdown, nobody will be willing to foot the bill, not the insurance company, not the manufacturer warranty, you are on your own.

That brings us back to the question a large set of questions.

1. Who is responsible for the maintenance of the car?
2. What happens if the car service becomes due mid-trip and it is booked for another trip immediately after? When does it get serviced?
3. Is it the responsibility of the renter to ensure that the car has not missed it's major service?
4. Should we be checking the oil levels periodically? Or assume that it has been serviced on time?
5. If it is our responsibility to ensure that the car is maintained as per manufacturer specifications, why is it not part of the Zoomcar app checklist?
6. Should we instead use the TeamBHP 'How to buy a used car' checklist?

Maybe everyone should call up Zoomcar and ask them these questions before each booking, and record the call. That should put some sense in them.
Old 27th December 2018, 11:21   #1524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Saw both his videos earlier, and now my YT feed is filled with zoomcar rant videos.

Anyhow, I would agree with some of the comments on these videos - train + local taxi would have worked out cheaper and saner for him.

You can't really put a price on driving pleasure but now if it comes at such a high risk, it's not worth it. There are people who hired zoomcar in my close circle and all of them got really bad vehicles and a few suffered breakdowns as well. I have lost faith in them and would probably never hire a self drive in India (except Goa maybe , where this business has been thriving since a long time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Compared to a taxi hire, self drive cars are expensive along with poor and shoddy service.
Better to hire a cab than drive such cars.
Absolutely!
Old 27th December 2018, 13:14   #1525
BHPian

So the engine seized due to poor maintenance and Zoomcar is trying to recover that money from a customer? There is a possibility their employees are taking money from the company for service and showing fake bills to pocket it instead of carrying it out.

And instead of taking action against them, Zoomcar is encouraging this behavior by recovering breakdown charges from customers.
Old 27th December 2018, 14:14   #1526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
A few days after returning the car I got a quote of 4.5k which I felt was reasonable and paid it through the app itself. No questions asked.
Sorry for asking a silly question but isn't this covered by insurance or is that provision not available in zoomcar? I have rented with zoomcar once and I was under the impression I am covered by insurance.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th December 2018 at 19:40. Reason: Small typo
Old 27th December 2018, 19:29   #1527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
sorry for asking a silly question but isn't this covered by insurance or is that provision not available in zoomcar? I have rented with zoomcar once and I was under the impression I am covered by insurance.
There is max liability of 5 or 10k. Anything above that is covered by insurance.
Old 31st December 2018, 14:41   #1528
BHPian

I have used Zoomcar and Revv. Life is much easier. Before these self drives came in I used to drive all the way. Now even for drives in Kerala which is 8-9 hours away I find it better to take an overnight train or a flight and take the rental. Cost effective and stress free. If it's in North India - it's a big time-saver too. Only downside is you don't get to drive your own beloved car which you bought with so much research and take pride in owning. Upside - you get to drive different cars and new ones.
Old 1st January 2019, 07:46   #1529
BHPian

Recently was in Ahmedabad for a few days and compared about using zoom car versus taking a regular taxi. Costwise a rental taxi (with driver) worked out much better. How does this work - because it should have been cheaper isn't it as I am removing the driver out of the equation?
And this is true for all places in India - not just Ahmedabad.
Old 1st January 2019, 08:01   #1530
BHPian

It's mostly for the thrill of people who love driving and who want privacy. Drivers are paid peanuts in India and your calculation proves that. The owner is sucking it out. Also in some places like Kerala you need to rent out a place for the driver to sleep if overnight which is fair enough. Dignity of labour. Expecting him to sleep in the car is injustice but many places in India poor guys do it. So if his sleep place and a better pay-scale is taken into account then self-drives would be cost effective giving you that privacy and sense of driving accomplishment. Just imagine, in the future you get high-end cars for self-drive and even if you may have to pay thru your nose for small hours the thrill of trying it and moving around - memories will be with you all your life. Just my point of view and I am not saying it's true for all.

Last edited by jeevmenon : 1st January 2019 at 08:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks