Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 1st January 2019, 10:11   #1531
BHPian

Default Re: Zoom Car: Self Drive Rentals in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
It's mostly for the thrill of people who love driving and who want privacy. Drivers are paid peanuts in India and your calculation proves that. The owner is sucking it out.
Yeah. It makes sense. But I am wondering why zoomcar's cost is so high that the cost ends up being over 50% more than a traditional taxi. Is it because zoomcars renters abuse cars so much that their cars life is much reduced? It it because zoomcar wants to make more money and has a way higher profit margin? Or is it plain mismanagement by zoomcar because of which they are unable to manage costs? That's my question. As BHPians I am sure most of us would like to rent cars and almost none of us would abuse them. So we are unnecessary penalised because of a few bad apples who might be car-abusers.

Can't they have a rating system where they encourage good drivers and discourage bad drivers? They could even have an OBD reader that reads how well a driver drives. Insurance systems in the west already do that - so it's not something out of the world. One a rating system is present then they could use it to incentitivise good drivers with lower costs.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2019, 11:33   #1532
BHPian

I have see Innova taxis in fairly good condition with 2,50,000 kms on the Odo. And Zoomcars with 10% the kms covered falling into pieces.

I would imagine that this is one of the reasons. Also, insurance premiums must be higher for these cars I am guessing.
akshaymahajan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:34   #1533
Team-BHP Support

Can someone confirm if Zoomcar still has governors on their Hexa fleet? I am renting one for a Bombay airport run end of this month and don't want to be stuck at 80 on the expressway. Usually 100-110 is my comfort spot for cruising.

Also worried about their cleanliness aspect since the car appear to be badly kept. Don't want the family to suffer due to dirty and dusty cars on my way back.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2019, 14:48   #1534
BHPian

Bihar government flags off ‘rent a cab scheme' with Zoom Car in Patna. Here's how to book
Transport minister Santosh Nirala and secretary Sanjay Kumar Agrawal flagged off the service, which allows any individual to book a car to be driven by self at the minimum cost of Rs 70 per hour.
Read further on at:
https://in.finance.yahoo.com/news/bi...131146120.html

Last edited by virgopal : 8th January 2019 at 14:49. Reason: correction
virgopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2019, 15:04   #1535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Bihar government flags off ‘rent a cab scheme' with Zoom Car in Patna. Here's how to book
Transport minister Santosh Nirala and secretary Sanjay Kumar Agrawal flagged off the service, which allows any individual to book a car to be driven by self at the minimum cost of Rs 70 per hour.
Read further on at:
https://in.finance.yahoo.com/news/bi...131146120.html
Do they have a car that costs 70/hour? There is no price matrix on their website
ashishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2019, 15:05   #1536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
I have see Innova taxis in fairly good condition with 2,50,000 kms on the Odo. And Zoomcars with 10% the kms covered falling into pieces.

I would imagine that this is one of the reasons. Also, insurance premiums must be higher for these cars I am guessing.
In this regard, I dont understand how Zoomcar initially chose their fleet. They had Scorpios and Figos in their fleet in the earlier days whereas I would have personally picked up an Innova in the place of the scorpio.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2019, 15:13   #1537
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In this regard, I dont understand how Zoomcar initially chose their fleet. They had Scorpios and Figos in their fleet in the earlier days whereas I would have personally picked up an Innova in the place of the scorpio.
Quoting the Co-founder David -
When they started out, Ford and Mahindra were the only company that worked with Zoom to get the applications and interfaces integrated and also supported them with good initial credit terms. BMW also helped but hiring high end cars does not work in India
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2019, 15:37   #1538
Distinguished - BHPian

Booked a Tata Hexa from Zoomcar for the weekend gone by. Extended family (7 of us) had to drive to Lonavala to attend an overnight function.

Got one pretty easily though I only booked a few days in advance. Pick-up spot was a parking lot of a school not far from my place. D-BHPian @selfdrive was kind enough to volunteer to drop me there. I took an Uber back while dropping it off.

Overall experience was quite positive. The vehicle ran perfectly. It did NOT have an 80kmph speed governor in action, though I was warned by email and SMS that it did. The unlocking/relocking experience was smooth. This wasn't the case when I'd booked an Ecosport from them but again that was almost 4 years ago.

But the vehicle was not clean at all. Looked like nobody had touched the insides with a clean rag in a while. The seat covers and mats were torn and dusty. To add insult to injury there was a bunch of half a dozen ripe bananas in the central armrest console. Utterly disgusting.

The cars exteriors were dusty, scratched and dented, plus one side running board had broken off at some point. There was an attendant there and he offered to clean up the exteriors with a dry rag (I can hear Viddy and Rudra wince at this!!) He also advised me to take a video of the car for the pre-existing damage.

I've never driven a Hexa before so this was a nice TD of sorts. With its extremely long throws and a not-precise-at-all rubbery gearshifts, the manual transmission variant is not one that would ever land up in my consideration set to buy. Have heard the AT is much better. The interiors aren't cheap but are not exactly premium either. In fact the instrument console looks quite nice. Bluetooth and the USB/iPod interface function perfectly well and the Harman sound is decent. But the Hexa loses out in the smaller things: for example, the last row entry is extremely ungainly and best managed by children.

I also seem to have booked the "fuel excluded" option (there is a tab right at the top which vanishes when you scroll down, so it is easy to miss) and as a result had to shell out 1440/- at the end of the trip for failing to top up diesel (which I could easily have done and it would have been cheaper). Zoomcar needs to make this process more transparent. I travelled maybe 150 km at the most and the price of ~15 litres of diesel is around 975/- I didn't raise the issue with them because the amount involved isn't significant. But it does rankle a bit.

Car was mechanically sound and the Hexa engine is quite powerful so overall we had a nice time. Would definitely prefer the AT variant next time.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2019, 17:00   #1539
Team-BHP Support

So my first Zoomcar experience went quiet well over the weekend. Had a wedding to attend in Cochin and thought ill give it a try for local commute. Had booked using the credit card and used the card for the deposit locking too. I had selected Figo freestyle since it was a new car model that I had not driven, and being new would make it a un-abused specimen.

And yes it was a new 6k kms only car, used the app to do check list enter the km reading (that was off by few kms) and went off with the car. When I reached hotel I realised the remote fob does not lock the driver door, though it enables the car siren. So if someone tries to do hanky panky, it would blow the horn.

Anyways moving on, the car came with 80 kmph sticker and that stupid governor in place. This would just cut the fuelling at that speed irrespective of the gear. I feel this is outright dangerous, imagine a serious overtaking situation and your car goes life less!! Anyways I did not get an opportunity to touch these speeds apart from one stretch where I could and that too just to check if it has a speed governor. Still I seriously advice zoom to have a better implementation of the governor than this, maybe allow occasional bursts for such situations and not holding it steady. Another interesting feature was the map chime (feeble ones) for speed limits, I found this very useful.

Had taken no fuel plan, but thanks to Noop's experience and early warning, filled up couple of litres to make it full tank level similar to when I had taken the car.

Spoke to the drop point person about the lock and he mentioned, team from BLR has to come down and fix the glitch with the lock, due to the GPS and remote access software they have installed. The work around is to use the physical key to lock the door. We are so used to these remote lock feature, I tell you! that I didn't even bother to try the traditional key!! Then again for me the car was always parked at safe locations during this trip and never mattered.

Other points:

- Saw couple of other cars being collected on Sunday, and the popular swifts seemed to be pretty tired with all the abuse. Good decision I made paying more, the 100 odd bucks for the Figo.

- My car was bathed before delivery, but quiet a shabby job and the wheel covers were almost full of mud. My OCD and joblessness almost gave me the urge to take it to the nearest car wash

- Overheard the guys at zoom speaking to Hyundai for fixing service appointment, so the cars seems to be serviced, maybe at least during the free service schedules lol and he was heard insisting on tight deadline of 10 am to 5 pm to workshop, and how they needed to ensure the washing is also done within that time lol
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote