Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:32   #61
BHPian

re: Zoom Pay & Drive, New Self Drive Option in Bangalore! *UPDATE* Now in Pune!

Some updates from the latest newsletter:

Quote:
Starting today, Zoom is pleased to announce our 4th location at the Chancery Pavilion on Residency Rd

There is a change in tariff and discounts as mentioned in http://www.zoomcar.in/tariff

Stay glued to our website in the coming days as we will officially be introducing the all-new Mahindra Reva E2O into our fleet.

Additionally, for those living in East Bangalore, know that Zoom is coming to your side very soon.

rajesh1868 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 10:35   #62
BHPian

Along with this recent announcement, they have also increased the tariffs a bit. Figo was earlier at Rs 1999 per day and Scorpio was Rs 2499 which have gone upto Rs 2250 and Rs 2750 respectively. However, they have increased the weekdays discount to 35% which keeps the tariff similar to previous weekdays rates. Only weekend rates will be higher.

On the same note, here's my take on Zoomcars after using their Figo last week for 3 days on my visit to Bangalore. (Picked up from their J P Nagar parking.)

1) Booking process could be made a bit smoother. The website still has some quirks. E.g., when you are required to enter your address, the City and the PIN Code field will not accept anything other than Bangalore and Bangalore PIN Codes. And mind it, the site does not also work properly with Firefox.

2) Customer care is good and the representatives are helpful. I liked the way I was reminded and confirmed of my 5-00 AM booking at 4-45 AM.

3) Cars are very new and are still with the "new" car smell. The cars have a torch, extra mobile charger and a small First Aid kit.

4) The car has a tab for navigation about which I have a slight complaint. It is a normal iBall 3G tab and not a dedicated GPS device. So, it is totally dependent on Google maps and 3G. And many a times I was without navigation due to lack of 3G signal while roaming. I think here a basic Garmin device would have cost them the same yet providing a better experience to us.

5) There is an overspeeding penalty of Rs 300 or 500, (I've forgotten now, and no, I was not penalised) for driving beyond 115 kmph. I think this is a good thing and should be implemented religiously by them.

6) After returning the car and making the final payment, I did not get any receipt as they did not have any. So, I suggest they keep some money receipts with their executives at the respective parkings.

I do agree and appreciate that these are just small issues which will be removed as time passes. However, despite these, overall it was a pleasant experience and given future requirements, I'll rent them again than trying anything else. And do I recommend Zoomcars to T-BHPians? Oh, yeah...
wanderer4x4 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 11:01   #63
BHPian

No point of renting a self drive to run around in bangalore traffic unless you dont own a car and specifically want to drive. It makes sense to rent the cars for going out of city trips but the 200km restriction makes it less appealing in that aspect too. They should have separate plans for city n outstation. And again the pricing for merc is too over the top
Old 3rd August 2013, 11:08   #64
Team-BHP Support

Update:

Over the past few months Zoom has expanded their operations, both in terms of locations and fleet size.

Zoom cars are now available for pickup in 4 locations:
1. Brigade Gateway Malleswaram
2. Brigade Millenium JP Nagar
3. Ulsoor road (Solar Automobiles compound)
4. Hotel Chancery Pavillion Residency Road

In terms of fleet size, the number of Figos and Scorpios has increased quite a lot since the initial stages. They have a total of 30 vehicles now.

The exciting part now is that they have added 2 BMW 320d in their fleet for rental. Expectedly, these don't come cheap. Rs.999/hour or Rs.9,999 for 24 hours. These are the new F30's.

I also noticed that the rates for Figo and Scorpio have increased over the last few weeks. Figo rental from Rs.199/hour is now Rs.225/hour and Scorpio is now Rs.275/hour (up from Rs.250/hour). If you reserve during the weekdays Mon-Thurs there is a 35% discount on the rental.

Just wondering if they should start with weekly rental rates as well which will be lower than the 24hours rate.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 11:56   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
It makes sense to rent the cars for going out of city trips but the 200km restriction makes it less appealing in that aspect too. They should have separate plans for city n outstation. And again the pricing for merc is too over the top
Despite the 200 km free usage restriction, I find the rates attractive. For weekday bookings, you pay Rs 1463 for the Figo for 200km "free". Now this comes to Rs 7.31 per km which is similar or better to the rates of those non AC rickety Indicas at Rs 7-9 per km. Here, you get brand new, comfortable AC cars and the flexiblity, control and joy of a self drive as you do not need to lug the driver around . Moreover, in case of regular cabs from a travel agent, after 10 PM, you need to pay Rs 200 to 250 to the driver as well along with the meals. So, overall Zoom works out to be cheaper. However, the revised weekend rates are a different issue altogether.

PS: I don't think they have any Mercs in their inventory.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 3rd August 2013 at 11:59.
Old 3rd August 2013, 12:01   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post

Despite the 200 km free usage restriction, I find the rates attractive. For weekday bookings, you pay Rs 1463 for the Figo for 200km "free". Now this comes to Rs 7.31 per km which is similar or better to the rates of those non AC rickety Indicas at Rs 7-9 per km. Here, you get brand new, comfortable AC cars and the flexiblity, control and joy of a self drive as you do not need to lug the driver around . Moreover, after 10 PM, you need to pay 200 to 250 to the driver as well along with the meals. So, overall Zoom works out to be cheaper. However, the revised weekend rates are a different issue altogether.
: I don't think they have any Mercs in their inventory.
Somewhere in previous posts somebody had pasted the new luxury car launch email which stated the price of 1250/hr or 12500 for 24 hours oh wait may be that was a bmw ? Even then thats too pricey
Old 3rd August 2013, 15:12   #67
BHPian

Me and a Friend wanted to start this kind of self driven car service in Goa, but didn't know how to go about getting the permissions. I hope they expand to Goa.
Old 3rd August 2013, 15:45   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Me and a Friend wanted to start this kind of self driven car service in Goa, but didn't know how to go about getting the permissions. I hope they expand to Goa.
Isnt this kind of service already available in Goa. Last time i saw a couple of tourists in such rented cars
Old 7th August 2013, 13:21   #69
BHPian

See http://www.iamwire.com/2013/06/zoom-...mist-on-board/

So more locations are planned.

FYI: Scorpio is available for Rs 2750 per day (+ Rs 12/km over and above the first 200 Kms).

Price includes fuel (we dont need to return it refueled; besides, if we ever refuel enroute, we can just show them the fuel receipts upon return and they will reimburse us; basically they pay for fuel).

Eg:
A trip to Mangalore from Blore (700kms round trip) over a 3 day period would cost 2750*3 + 12*500 = Rs 14250.

Is it worth it?
Old 7th August 2013, 16:16   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
A trip to Mangalore from Blore (700kms round trip) over a 3 day period would cost 2750*3 + 12*500 = Rs 14250.

Is it worth it?
You got it wrong there, mate. If you book the car for 3 days for a 700 kms round trip, you'd be getting free 600 kms for 3 days @ 200 kms per day as included in the tariff. So, you need to pay for only 100 kms as excess. So the final cost is as below -

(2750*3) + (12*100kms) = Rs. 9450

This is how the excess km was calculated, when I had rented a car from them for 3 days last month.

PS: Moreover, rate of 2750 is applicable if you book the car for Friday till Sunday. On other days, you get 35% off, so you get the car at Rs 1787 per day which to me looks like a good deal.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 7th August 2013 at 16:29.
wanderer4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 19:22   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Something incorrect in that article. US$30K isn't really much (that's ~18L based on today's approx exchange rate) and the new article states Zoom plans to use the raised funds to buy about 15-20 more vehicles.

That's clearly not possible even if you consider Mahindra and Ford might have given extreme discounts to Zoom for this initiative. Maybe not more than 4-5 vehicles will be possible to be bought using these funds.

Great initiative nevertheless. Only waiting for them to bring on Reva electric cars and also open their parking spots/yards in and around Marathahalli, Indiranagar, etc.. They need to have a location in Bangy East.
Old 4th October 2013, 11:33   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Zoom just raised about Rs. 6 crore, it's largest $$$ infusion yet.

Quote:
Bangalore-based Car sharing service Zoom has raised $1 million seed funding led by the existing investor Empire Angels (New York, US) and participation from other investors like Funders Club (San Francisco, US), Basset Investment Group, Lady Barbara Judge and other angel investors, reports The Times Of India. The company plans to use the funds raised to scale up its car fleet and for technology development.

Prior to this, the company had raised $650,000 across several angel rounds. This includes a $200,000 investment from angel investor Raj Kumar Elango in July 2013, a $30,000 funding from former US treasury secretary Larry Summers and a $215,000 funding round from Empire Angels, Lady Barbara Judge and other angel investors in May 2013.
Source & Full Article
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 12:11   #73
Team-BHP Support

They have also inducted a fleet of VW Vento's
Old 13th October 2013, 00:30   #74
BHPian

Where do they park their fleet in Bangalore? Anyone has any idea?
Old 13th October 2013, 13:47   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohank024 View Post
Where do they park their fleet in Bangalore? Anyone has any idea?
Their website has these addresses -

Name:  zoom_locations.png
Views: 9235
Size:  30.1 KB
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed