Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2015, 11:57   #826
BHPian

re: Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Yes, you'd need to pay for both the states as the RTO gates are just inside each state border.
You need not pay while returning as the tax payment is valid for at least 7 days.
Just checked with Zoomcar. They also voiced the same. But looks like some of the cars being rented out in Pune at KA registered. They have MH taxes paid. Hence if you get a KA registered car then you can drive to KA with no additional taxes to be paid. Only Goa entry tax will need to be paid.

Last edited by noopster : 28th September 2015 at 16:56. Reason: Corrected typo KS=KA
Old 4th October 2015, 00:49   #827
Distinguished - BHPian

Zoom Car: Self Drive Rentals in India

Rented a Fortuner for a day trip with extended family in Pune today. Shiny dark gold top end variant with only 5500 on the odo. Apart from a missing ORVM shell (mirror was intact though) it looked decently maintained. I actually had a ball toodling up and down the highway with that monstrous 3L engine purring away under the hood. Attacked some potholes and rough roads we encountered on the way and was not disappointed. It set me back around 4k net of fuel which is really not bad at all.

Still, the more I use Zoom the more I think they need to get some things right, and quickly.

For starters, the distribution of cars across locations is strange. I specifically wanted a Fortuner or XUV500 and realized there isn't a way I can specifically search ONLY for these vehicles and the most convenient locations. Ended up booking one from across town and had to do a longish commute for the pick up and drop. Thank God for Uber.

Next, Zoomcar needs to decide whether they are going purely digital or keep some processes manual because the current mishmash of the two is maddening. In my case when I reached the pickup point the app unlock didn't work and I had to manually send an SMS to get this done. The attendant walked me through the checkin process. However when I dropped it off there was no attendant so I did the checklist myself and managed to auto lock the vehicle too. However the attendant called me back to the site (luckily I hadn't left the place yet, was just catching my cab) for a physical signature since I had made one during pickup! He also asked me some half baked questions about whether I had broken any traffic laws, inflicted any damage to the vehicle etc. Meaningless nonsense that isn't really necessary.
The third point I think Zoom needs to work on is the almost universal absence of a strong mobile data signal at their pickup points. It's not a big surprise since a lot of these are located in underground parking lots so my suggestion to them would be to hook up some sort of functioning Wifi in each of their pickup Zones.

Last edited by noopster : 4th October 2015 at 00:51.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 21:47   #828
BHPian

Would this be the right thread to ask about alternatives to Zoomcar, that my offer good service and yet be less expensive. This is for an outstation trip (to Ooty, from Bangalore), spread over 3 days -- Friday thru Sunday. Reading around, I get the impression that Zoomcar is pretty expensive where the mileage is high and stay is short (s.t. the per-day free limit is easily overshot), and their weekend charges are high.

Also, can someone shed light on whether one is expected to pay 'commercial vehicle' taxes during border crossing, into/out-of TN ?

Only reason to consider Zoomcar, is because I need a powerful vehicle. My petrol Logan just gives up on mountains. Too under powered for climbs.
Old 20th October 2015, 21:16   #829
Senior - BHPian

Friends, I need to hire one of the following cars from Pune Airport.
Ecosport
Scorpio
City
Ciaz

We are travelling 4 adults plus 2 kids (6 yrs & 3yrs respectively). Journey would be approx 1000 kms to & fro.
I am not sure about the condition of the cars. If the condition is bad, I might as well take my own car (prefer not to take it since it is 13 years old now).

Anybody who recently rented one of these from the Pune Airport location & and can throw some light?
Old 25th October 2015, 12:37   #830
BHPian

Looks like Zoom Cars have updated their policy regarding Overspeeding.

Overspeeding >= 125 km/hr --> Rs. 750 (over and above any government fines that may have been levied) Expulsion from Zoomcar if overspeeding occurs in two bookings

Overspeeding >= 150 km/hr --> Expulsion from Zoomcar

http://www.zoomcar.com/fees?ref=Emai...SubscriberBase
vivekkp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 12:51   #831
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkp View Post

Overspeeding >= 125 km/hr --> Rs. 750 (over and above any government fines that may have been levied) Expulsion from Zoomcar if overspeeding occurs in two bookings

Overspeeding >= 150 km/hr --> Expulsion from Zoomcar
I thought they would reduce the speed limit. Quite expected seeing many accidents these days and maybe they felt that the 500 rupee fine was affordable. Not a good thing to see your company losing cars very often(most of them are totaled) and another bunch of customers complaining of non available cars(due to a previous member ending up in an accident).

By the way, I see too many complaints these days on their FB page and not a single compliment. Not sure if only people who are unhappy post there or its just that most customers are unhappy. I had planned to rent out a Merc GLA for a weekend, to experience the products that I actually work on and give my dad a feel of the car. But looking at the horrid posts there, I am worried.

Last edited by audioholic : 25th October 2015 at 12:53.
Old 25th October 2015, 19:16   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkp View Post

http://www.zoomcar.com/fees?ref=Emai...SubscriberBase
I guess they also increased the penalty for late return. 300 per hour + the hourly car rent. That is a little too much. A modest Figo would have an effective rate of 420 per hour for the delayed period.
Old 27th October 2015, 20:36   #833
BHPian

Looks like Zoom-Car has changed their pricing to accomodate larger distances during the rental period.
You now get an option at booking time to decide how much distance you're planning to cover - nice
Name:  ZoomCarNewPricing.PNG
Views: 3090
Size:  78.2 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
By the way, I see too many complaints these days on their FB page and not a single compliment.
I had planned to rent out a Merc GLA for a weekend, to experience the products that I actually work on and give my dad a feel of the car.
But looking at the horrid posts there, I am worried.
Any feedback on the state of Zoom's A-Series cars, are they poorly maintained as well ?
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 11:08   #834
BHPian

After reading the mostly favorable reviews in this thread, I decided to book a Zoomcar vehicle for an upcoming trip. My total amount came to Rs. 18,824 (booking fee Rs. 13,824 + refundable security deposit Rs 5,000) with an option to pay the security deposit later on. However, though I paid the booking fee, the amount was not credited to my booking ID. Instead, I received a call from Zoomcar stating that my payment was unsuccessful, even though I received an acknowledgement email from CitrusPay confirming my payment.

I was asked to make a fresh payment of the entire amount again, with an assurance that the earlier Rs. 13,824 would be refunded through NEFT. Now after making the payment again, an amount of Rs. 32,648 has been credited to my booking against an outstanding of Rs. 18,824

Totally disappointed!
Attached Thumbnails
Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India-jps6vojyy.jpg  

Old 29th October 2015, 20:55   #835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemant.kamat View Post

Totally disappointed!
Don't worry buddy sometimes these issues crop up. And not to worry your extra amount will be completely refunded, but it would need some back to back follow-ups, else it can happen quickly too if you are lucky
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 21:18   #836
BHPian

I have found out Justride to be a much better option in terms of pricing and customer centricity. I compared prices and Justride always comes up as better option. Please read following thread for my experience on booking for 12 days.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...l-service.html

Even Myles is good if you plan for longer runs in shorter durations,
Myles offers cars just on rentals and you can pay for the fuel for urself.
Old 30th October 2015, 12:44   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
I have found out Justride to be a much better option in terms of pricing and customer centricity. I compared prices and Justride always comes up as better option. Please read following thread for my experience on booking for 12 days.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...l-service.html

Even Myles is good if you plan for longer runs in shorter durations,
Myles offers cars just on rentals and you can pay for the fuel for urself.
Justride has only a few vehicles available and together with Myles, their rates are comparatively higher than Zoomcar. Not to mention the extra fuel charges that I would have to bear, which is already included in my Zoomcar booking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Don't worry buddy sometimes these issues crop up. And not to worry your extra amount will be completely refunded, but it would need some back to back follow-ups, else it can happen quickly too if you are lucky
Got my Rs. 13,824 refunded after spending the whole afternoon arguing with the customer support executives. Initially they kept insisting that the extra amount could not be refunded unless the booking was canceled or the trip completed, but when I finally threatened to dispute the charge with my credit card issuer, they offered to transfer the amount to my bank through NEFT. Today, the website does not reflect the extra amount paid:

Attached Thumbnails
Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India-jps6vojyy.jpg  

Last edited by hemant.kamat : 30th October 2015 at 13:04.
Old 6th November 2015, 19:36   #838
Senior - BHPian

Have booked the swift for 4 days.

I was just trying to find out what features does the swift have that zoomcar offers.
Found it strange that I could no where locate on their site what features the car has eg: ABS, Airbags, etc.

Any pointers? Anyone who rented it recently knows whether the swift from zoomcar has ABS & Airbags?
Old 6th November 2015, 19:39   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post

I was just trying to find out what features does the swift have that zoomcar offers.
Found it strange that I could no where locate on their site what features the car has eg: ABS, Airbags, etc.

Any pointers? Anyone who rented it recently knows whether the swift from zoomcar has ABS & Airbags?
I had rented one recently. It was an LDI(O) variant (has rear adjustable headrests). No airbags or ABS. In the car that I got, one of the rear seatbelts was unusable too
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 19:40   #840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post

Its the barebones Swift LDi, of course with some fancy accessories thrown in, but no ABS and stuff.

Recently saw a Top end Ecosport Titanium in their fleet which means that you might get a safety pack when you rent an ecosport - Again not all are the top end ecosports and most are the base versions.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed