Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2014, 19:54   #256
BHPian

re: Zoom Pay & Drive, New Self Drive Option in Bangalore, Pune! *UPDATE* Now in Gurgaon!

Had a pretty good experience renting the A-class @ Model colony outlet today.
It was wifey's birthday. The car was in excellent condition. Similar to self drive rentals in US, I was shown the existing scratches on car, they were carefully listed on the check out sheet.
The experience was outstanding. Checkin checkout was easy.
I was driving the A-class for first time so needed sometime to adjust but since it was a AUTO transimission the adjustment became easy.
The exhilaration was amazing once the accelerator pedal was pressed. But sadly had to drive through the city so couldnt test the car to its fullest extent. Nevertheless it is a wonderful car.
Total Rs. 660 for 40kms of driving included.

I have already booked a ecosport for oct 2nd long weekend.

Last edited by athanedar : 10th September 2014 at 19:56.
Old 11th September 2014, 20:16   #257
BHPian

re: Zoom Pay & Drive, New Self Drive Option in Bangalore, Pune! *UPDATE* Now in Gurgaon!

Do they provide full theft and accident damage insurance like its the case in US/EU? I checked today with Carzonrent but they said upper cap for damage is 4000 INR only. Above that limit cutomer has to pay.
Old 12th September 2014, 12:48   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by napster1311 View Post
Do they provide full theft and accident damage insurance like its the case in US/EU? I checked today with Carzonrent but they said upper cap for damage is 4000 INR only. Above that limit cutomer has to pay.
The insurance covers everybody including car, passengers, driver and third party.
I was told by zoom that if I get into a wreck then my liability is limited only to Rs. 5000 which is given as deposit. Rest all the insurance will take care.
Old 12th September 2014, 14:46   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
The insurance covers everybody including car, passengers, driver and third party.
I was told by zoom that if I get into a wreck then my liability is limited only to Rs. 5000 which is given as deposit. Rest all the insurance will take care.
That's really great. As under these features of insurance one can rent and drive cars peacefully. Hope Carzonrent does the same.
Old 12th September 2014, 15:08   #260
BHPian

Looks like someone has taken an Ecosport from Pune to Leh (according to an FB post by ZoomCar). It would be interesting to know the experiences at various RTO checkposts enroute.

I guess many RTOs allow fees to be paid online. Anyone has any experience with the same?
Old 12th September 2014, 15:37   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
It would be interesting to know the experiences at various RTO checkposts enroute.
+1
Also there were posts about militant behavior of taxi unions to outside taxis. Would be interested in knowing what was their response to golden board vehicles.
Old 13th September 2014, 18:31   #262
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this zoom Ambassador today in Pune.

Its for promotional purposes, saw a few guys distributing zoom car pamphlets to the people around, near Shivar Garden.
Attached Thumbnails
Zoom Car Reviews - Self Drive Rentals in India-img_20140913_175328918.jpg  

//M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 07:52   #263
BHPian

Had taken a zoom car to Shirdi from Pune by Aug end. The car was at IBIS hotel quite close to Airport. Excellent service. Seamless checkin and checkout. And the guy showed all the scratches and stuff before taking the car. The car was a ford figo and very well maintained. They refunded the deposit in 2 days as well. My only feedback is to have more variety in ibis hotel outlet than just Figo, Scorpio and Safari. Would have preferred Ecosport
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 10:38   #264
BHPian

Took a Zoom car to travel Bangalore-Coorg-Bangalore the last weekend. I had booked it for 10am and the zoom representative was ready at the airport by 0945. For airport pickups, they drive you to Devanahalli(next to McDonalds) where they have a vehicle yard. The Vento I hired was a basic variant with ~47k on the odo. The vehicle was equipped with reverse parking sensors, 3G tablet, first aid kit, umbrella and multi-pin mobile charger. The executive explained about all the documents present in the car and speed limit to be followed. The sour point of the experience was when they talked about the ground clearance of the vehicle. They had attached a weird contraption inside the front bumper(sorry didn't take a pic) and asked me to to be very careful over bumps and breakers. In case the vehicle is hit and the contraption breaks, the damage to be paid is 4800. I was told that this is applicable only to the Vento! Not that I'd jump over any breakers but Zoom should clearly mention this on their website prior to the booking. I'd have gone for another car!
Did not have any other option so went ahead with the vehicle. I also took a bumper-to-bumper video of the car just to be on the safe side. Was extra cautious while driving as the not-so-good Coorg roads didn't help either. Some of the stretches(specially inside Coorg) had literally no roads and I was crawling over them with the extra sensitive vehicle I was driving. Owning a pretty low GC car myself(pre-facelift Punto) helped and the drive was smooth with the car not taking any contraption-altering hit. Personally, I felt that the Vento had a decent clearance and the situation wasn't as bad as the Zoom guys made it out to be. The return process was smooth and my money was refunded in a day. Overall a very good experience and definitely recommended. Word of advice- Please stay away from the Vento unless you absolutely need it !
deoelect is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 11:21   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoelect View Post
Took a Zoom car to travel Bangalore-Coorg-Bangalore the last weekend. I had booked it for 10am and the zoom representative was ready at the airport by 0945. For airport pickups, they drive you to Devanahalli(next to McDonalds) where they have a vehicle yard. The Vento I hired was a basic variant with ~47k on the odo. The vehicle was equipped with reverse parking sensors, 3G tablet, first aid kit, umbrella and multi-pin mobile charger. The executive explained about all the documents present in the car and speed limit to be followed. The sour point of the experience was when they talked about the ground clearance of the vehicle. They had attached a weird contraption inside the front bumper(sorry didn't take a pic) and asked me to to be very careful over bumps and breakers. In case the vehicle is hit and the contraption breaks, the damage to be paid is 4800. I was told that this is applicable only to the Vento! Not that I'd jump over any breakers but Zoom should clearly mention this on their website prior to the booking. I'd have gone for another car!
Did not have any other option so went ahead with the vehicle. I also took a bumper-to-bumper video of the car just to be on the safe side. Was extra cautious while driving as the not-so-good Coorg roads didn't help either. Some of the stretches(specially inside Coorg) had literally no roads and I was crawling over them with the extra sensitive vehicle I was driving. Owning a pretty low GC car myself(pre-facelift Punto) helped and the drive was smooth with the car not taking any contraption-altering hit. Personally, I felt that the Vento had a decent clearance and the situation wasn't as bad as the Zoom guys made it out to be. The return process was smooth and my money was refunded in a day. Overall a very good experience and definitely recommended. Word of advice- Please stay away from the Vento unless you absolutely need it !
Not sure if it was for a frame that goes around the radiator. I had mine broken and was told it could be because of a road bump. It cost me 4.5K to replace that on my car !
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 11:30   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I had mine broken and was told it could be because of a road bump. It cost me 4.5K to replace that on my car !
This was in your personal car or a Vento you rented through Zoom? So is this a manufacturer specific installation and problem? The Zoom guys made it sound like THEY installed that bracket in the car. I'm confused.
Old 17th September 2014, 11:31   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukundz View Post
I also heard from the rep when dropping off the car that they're going to discontinue Ventos. Something about an important part getting damaged under the front bumper when driving a little fast over speed breakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoelect View Post
The sour point of the experience was when they talked about the ground clearance of the vehicle. They had attached a weird contraption inside the front bumper(sorry didn't take a pic) and asked me to to be very careful over bumps and breakers. In case the vehicle is hit and the contraption breaks, the damage to be paid is 4800. I was told that this is applicable only to the Vento!
I think its the same thing they talk about regarding the Vento. I feel its unfair to ask the customer to drive carefully if they had added something which lowered the GC. Also they should mention in the website. So they are ditching the Ventos.

There is a talk about adding Linea to the fleet.
Old 17th September 2014, 13:08   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

I rented a Safari from Zoom for about 2 1/2 days for a trip to Kabini from Bangalore. We were 5 adults + 1 small child. We could have very well gone in our Laura, but the ladies started complaining that three abreast with the child in the backseat of the Laura is going to be very very uncomfortable. Plus as per feedback on the net, the roads leading up to the resort were pretty bad. I too was worried with the prospect of navigating a fully loaded car with 5 passengers and their luggage over bad roads. We have a Cab agency nearby that supplies us cabs regularly. But since we were 5 adults, the presence of the driver would force one of us to sit at the back and put luggage on the roof. Plus I hate sitting in the passenger seat over long journeys. A self drive rental would not have this problem. So I stared checking availability with Zoom and Carzonrent. A few negative reviews on the net plus the ₹ 50,000 deposit terms of Carzonrent tilted me towards zoom. Carzonrent is quite expensive too and the call centre guy told me that fuel cost is on the customer. They will give a car with a full tank of diesel. We are supposed to return the car with a full tank as well. Zoom's rental charge was not only cheaper but fuel was included too!

SUV options were XUV 5OO, Safari and Scorpio. I wanted the XUV, but since it was not available, I had to go for the Safari. Booked it online, made the payment and got confirmation. We wanted to depart on Sunday morning. The Safari was not available at any location on Saturday evening. So I booked the Safari from the only available location : Dairy circle at 7 AM. I stay in Sanjaynagar so I had to go all the way to Dairy circle early in the morning to bring the car. The Zoom executive called me at 5:30 AM asking me what time I will come to pick up the car! The formalities took about 15 mins and I was home in about 20 mins after that. The car had clocked about 27k kms was in pretty good condition. It was properly washed and cleanliness was good. Coming from petrol cars, the Diesel Safari with its long throw and notchy gearbox felt pretty crude at first. But I got used to driving the beast within a few minutes and quite enjoyed driving it over the 250 kms distance to our destination. The SUV was god sent as the roads were not just bad but horrible over the last 25 kms. The Safari just took everything in its stride. This is one TATA product I love. Its got so much character!! The seats were magnificent and the overall space was very well appreciated. Only fly in the ointment was the bouncyness and floatiness which they were not used to. My family is used to the tight ride of my Laura and they were complaining of a bit of nausea, induced mainly by the speed breakers of Mysore road.

Overall it proved to be a very wise decision to rent the Safari from Zoom. Its a great option for folks who own sedans/ hatch/ or no car and want to drive out for a holiday to locations which warrant a high GC vehicle. The return process was smooth as well. But driving the beast in peak evening traffic to Dairy Circle from Sanjaynagar was extremely tiring esp after driving all day from Kabini to Bangalore. Wish they allowed us to return the car to the nearest location.

• Rates are very reasonable.
  • Booking process is very simple.
  • Refundable deposit of ₹ 5,000 is very fair.
  • Cars are equipped with tablets for google navigation. Came very handy.
  • Executives are prompt and professional.
  • 125 km/hr speed limit. Keeps drivers honest.
  • Better safety as you are driving the car yourself.

Dislikes
  • All cars are not avaialble at all locations
  • Car was the low end trim without safety features like airbags. Rear seatbelt points were also hidden away under the seat covers and were unusable.
  • Cars have to be returned to the same location from where they are picked. In a big city like Bangalore that's cumbursome. To return the car, I was on the road for nearly two hours in peak city traffic.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 17th September 2014 at 13:27.
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 14:03   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I think its the same thing they talk about regarding the Vento. I feel its unfair to ask the customer to drive carefully if they had added something which lowered the GC. Also they should mention in the website. So they are ditching the Ventos.

There is a talk about adding Linea to the fleet.
Well, and plus they offer only the base variant of the Ventos. I hope that they add the new Fiestas or probably even the Verna.
Old 17th September 2014, 14:51   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The Zoom executive called me at 5:30 AM asking me what time I will come to pick up the car! The formalities took about 15 mins and I was home in about 20 mins after that.
I was hoping to park my car at their premises and take the vehicle onward the journey. I am not so sure about Concorde, Dairy Circle to have any dedicated parking, but looks like their hotel locations have dedicated slots.

Has anyone got any experience leaving our car in their parking for many days?

Most Viewed