Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2013, 13:14   #16
BHPian

re: Hats off to Bangalore Police! Eve-Teasers caught after Facebook complaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
There's a fine line between eve-teasing and eye-teasing (I'm assuming it means staring at). How can one differentiate and take a call?
In today's context it would be considered as eve-teasing. Going by the pictures and their postures, it is eve-teasing as one can label as.
I thought the "eve-teasing" only catered to women . I.e. :-Women being teased by men.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 14th March 2013, 13:20   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
I thought the "eve-teasing" only catered to women . I.e. :-Women being teased by men.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Nothing to correct here. I've a problem believing those two guys were looking at the man (if that was the case) actually. How often do we see eye-teasing between men?
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 13:24   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Nothing to correct here. I've a problem believing those two guys were looking at the man (if that was the case) actually. How often do we see eye-teasing between men?
Hahaha

In the particular example the men were staring at the two girls, however what i meant to say earlier was that if there is an instance of say bullying/harassing /intimidating on a man then he can also claim protection under the Indian laws.

Last edited by Enigmatic : 14th March 2013 at 13:26.
Old 14th March 2013, 14:14   #19
BHPian

Re: Hats off to Bangalore Police! Eve-Teasers caught after Facebook complaint

Someone pinch me ! Is this really happening?

I hope those schmucks get what they asked for...literally as the gesture shown!

It's these small petty cases, when solved, reaffirms the resolve we citizens have in the law and its enforcers.

There were several arguments on the BTP FB page, but the gist is this - the fellow needs to be "tried" in court and definitely made subject to the mental trauma.

But, my fear goes out to the one who posted it in public.

And additionally, those eve teasers who ll now be on the prowl with BLANK number plates. Just like the several rape cases that pursued in Delhi even after the gruesome December 2012 incident.
Old 14th March 2013, 18:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter note, I was seriously thinking the OP had made a typo and entered it as "eye-teasing" when he meant "eve-teasing". Don't tell me there is something as "eye-teasing"!

How is this defined and how much of staring (which I assume it is) is considered as "crossing the boundary"? No, seriously.
Old 14th March 2013, 18:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
On a lighter note, I was seriously thinking the OP had made a typo and entered it as "eye-teasing" when he meant "eve-teasing". Don't tell me there is something as "eye-teasing"!

How is this defined and how much of staring (which I assume it is) is considered as "crossing the boundary"? No, seriously.
Actually the confusion still remains.

Eve-teasing is said to be done only on women because of the word "eve" in it. Eve here is referred to the biblical EVE. I suppose(obviously) it cannot include men in its definition. Hence I had used the word "eye-teasing" .

But now i am thoroughly confused. The reason being on googling eye-teasing, nothing came up . So is it that men can never be at the receiving end of "eve/eye- teasing" ? or has the word for the same not been coined yet

Last edited by Enigmatic : 14th March 2013 at 18:52.
Old 14th March 2013, 19:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
So is it that men can never be at the receiving end of "eve/eye- teasing" ? or has the word for the same not been coined yet
Question is, how many men would actually find it objectionable to being teased by women? Or feel disgusted when a couple of girls on a scooty whistle at them while they are walking? I doubt there are many. Most will just smile, take it as a compliment and move on. Of course if it goes beyond a certain limit, then there is always the "sexual harassment" category.

In this case, the action take by Bangalore Police is admirable. Although there is still this fact to think about that the victim felt more comfortable putting it on his facebook than walking into a police station to lodge a complaint.
amitoj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 20:26   #23
BHPian

Eve-teasing - teasing of an Eve-(woman) and not teasing by an Eve- is just an euphemism , more or less, an Indian euphemism for which would be called in a western nation, Sexual Harassment.
we have a way of avoiding harsh truth behind soft words. Molestation, teasing and romanticizing the same through our movies.
Old 14th March 2013, 21:21   #24
BHPian

Well done bangalore traffic police dept. Such prompt action will surely help in deterring the eve teasers. This action should be spread all across the social medium.
Old 14th March 2013, 22:45   #25
BANNED

I do not know the background of the FB post. For some people, the traffic finger involuntarily goes up when people drive like morons. If a pic of traffic finger is posted on FB, is it a big enough offense for the person to be hunted down and held in custody? what is to prove that the car did not almost kill the biker? Sorry, I am skeptical about everyone that I don't know.

Statistics, probability and prior experience of driving around with women tell me that in all likelihood these guys could have been eve-teasing, and offended the person who posted it on FB. I sincerely hope the cops interrogated the FB poster and the women that were teased, had them come to the police station, file a complaint/FIR, and followed the due process.

Last edited by prasadee : 14th March 2013 at 22:48.
Old 15th March 2013, 10:45   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
I do not know the background of the FB post. For some people, the traffic finger involuntarily goes up when people drive like morons. If a pic of traffic finger is posted on FB, is it a big enough offense for the person to be hunted down and held in custody? what is to prove that the car did not almost kill the biker? Sorry, I am skeptical about everyone that I don't know.
It's a fair point. But the fact that the complainant Akshay Kingar mentioned in his Facebook post that the two women were "willing to testify" makes it ring true. It's a little hard to swallow that someone would go out on a limb to incriminate someone in an "eve-teasing" case.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 13:22   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post

Statistics, probability and prior experience of driving around with women tell me that in all likelihood these guys could have been eve-teasing, and offended the person who posted it on FB. I sincerely hope the cops interrogated the FB poster and the women that were teased, had them come to the police station, file a complaint/FIR, and followed the due process.

From the original post - they were at a traffic signal waiting to cross the road and not in a vehicle where they might have endangered the two guys.
If you ask me the guys on the bike seem too "happy" for a couple of folks who might have been offended on the road for some reason
Old 18th March 2013, 15:08   #28
BHPian

I lived in Bangalore for 1+ year. Being from Delhi I've always praised the city for it's open culture, and how it's devoid of unnecessary aggression that Delhi (and north overall) has. The disease is spreading towards south i guess. Sad to see Bangluru losing some of it's charm. :(
Old 18th March 2013, 17:01   #29
BHPian

I am not taking up sides with the "finger boys". But i do show my finger to dumb asses who deserve it. Dweebs who cut across without signalling, Schmucks who do not dip their lights inspite of repeated flashing my lights, Losers who overtake form the left... the list goes on. Depends largely on my mood though. I dont go about flashing me digit to just about everybody.

So now if someone irritates me and clicks a pic of me giving then the finger, goes to the cops and tells them " i was with my girlfriend/wife and this fella showed her this vulgar sign. See i have proof!" would that not land me in trouble?

Last edited by boohooper : 18th March 2013 at 17:16.
Old 18th March 2013, 17:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohooper View Post

So now if someone intimidates me and clicks a pic of me giving then the finger, goes to the cops and tells them " i was with my girlfriend/wife and this fella showed her this vulgar sign. See i have proof!" would that not land me in trouble?
Yes. There is a very good chance of you landing in trouble, if cops decide to take it up seriously. It could be considered an offensive gesture, though am not sure law specifically states anything about that digit.

That it was a tit for tat move for something the other party did, may not convince cops, as you are in the wrong irrespective if that.

Anyway, showing the finger doesn't really change anything, right? The moron on the other side may not even notice it, and its not worth dealing with morons that decide to avenge the "insult", and end up on the road rage thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks