Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2008, 13:44   #46
Senior - BHPian

its very very tough here in delhi.i heard about this campaign on Radio and till now thought that People will be fined if they honk on Jan 1st.

Lets see if i can go without honking at least for a day
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:05   #47
BHPian

Thank God.

I planned my leave in advance for the 1st or else it would had been a challenge to drive on Delhi roads without honking, as after partying all night on 31st Delhi drivers would need a lot of honking to keep them on the move

I guess they choose the wrong date cheers:
Old 1st January 2009, 12:32   #48

It is possible to drive without honking in Delhi

Hi friends,
Usually I do not sound the horn and use it very rarely, only if it is unavoidable like warning a pedestrian or biker. Today I drove to my office on Parliament Street from RK Puram (nine odd kms which took about half an hour to reach) in the peak morning traffic and I am really happy that I did not have to sound the horn even once.

It is possible to drive without honking in Delhi.

BTW wish a very happy and prosperous new year to all.

Regards,
Raji
Old 1st January 2009, 14:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcee View Post
It is possible to drive without honking in Delhi.
BTW wish a very happy and prosperous new year to all.
Raji
Congratulations for taking the effort. Now try to replicate this every day!

Thanks for the wishes and same to you too.
Old 2nd January 2009, 13:26   #50

Driving without honking

Today also I drove from home to office without honking. Also, yesterday evening while returning home, I did not use the horn.

Frineds, it is working.

Interestingly, I feel that many of the drivers in Delhi are now sticking to the 'no horn' principle. And let us spread the word through this forum.

Cheers
Raji
Old 6th January 2009, 13:30   #51
Senior - BHPian

I did not venture out to Delhi on 1st. Rather had some little jobs to attend to in Gurgaon. Did that and didn't honk at all. 2nd Jan onwards, was a normal day like any other day..
Old 9th January 2009, 00:38   #52
BHPian

No honking??

How do u stop the kamakazis who run to cross the roads when ever and where ever they want?

What about the autowala and the Blueline who always try to cut you off?

What about the cattle roaming on the road?

Plus there is no traffic sense in NCR.

We need a 8 lane ring road with proper entry and exit ramps/lanes.

Without this I do not see it getting better.

Honking or No Honking does not makes any diffrence.
Old 13th January 2009, 21:39   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Well I had been off the forum for quite some time so couldn't post.

Ok, about January 1st, it was a no-honking day and I DIDNOT honk for some 110kms I drove that day. Some of the streches where I almost lost the self control was Mahipalpur, Khanpur, Ambedkar Nagar and Faridabad. But, as they say, alls well that ends well. Felt good about keeping the promise I made about not honking.

And I extend my appreciation to fellow BHPians who did the same.
Old 14th March 2013, 20:34   #54
Senior - BHPian

No-Honking days in India

Another Brilliant Initiative by Chennai City Traffic Police (CCTP)

Source: CCTP Facebook Page

Quote:
Not ok no horn please!!

Quickly list five things Chennai’s famous for. We wager it sounds something like this. Masala Dosa with filter coffee. December music season. Marina beach. Discerning cricket fans. Mylapore mami tales alongside endearing madras bashai. Now imagine not hearing the sizzle of the dosa batter hitting a hot pan, the sound of coffee poured tall into your tumbler, or being unable to appreciate mellifluous music , sound of waves crashing onto shore, cricket commentary or your auto driver’s take on life. Don’t worry, if present condition is any indication, you won’t have to imagine very long.

It is agreed world over that safe sound levels are below 90db. On an average day, the noise level on Chennai roads is 130db. Some high traffic places like Guindy and T Nagar, register highs up to 142 db. That is comparable to being exposed to loud gunshots over and over again. And again.

Sustained exposure to noise levels above 125db can cause ear damage leading to partial or total hearing loss. That’s not all. Continuous exposure to high noise levels has several harmful effects which include increased stress, fatigue, irritation, anger, depression and overall a lower quality of life. No wonder road rage is what it is in the city.

It is more harmful than you think. It is more prevalent than you realize. The highest contributor to noise levels is vehicular traffic and honking followed by loud speakers, machinery, people talking especially when on their mobiles, sirens, alarms and office equipment.

It is more harmfull than you think. It is more prevalent than you realise .we should think of ways to reduce noise pollution, not only for our well being but also for others. Noise pollution may not result in death, but it definitely can hamper your health and quality of life. Hence, protect yourself from noise pollution to escape from the long-term health problems.

Children who lived in noisy areas were found to have less concentration and decreased
reading ability. Also, adults who worked in noisy environments found it difficult to solve problems and had shorter attention spans.

Join us in a pledge to reduce noise in the city and show your support by not honking one day.

Chennai, No Honking Day.
It’s Saturday, March 16, 2013.
Other Initiatives happening across the Nation!

No-Honking days in India-donothonk01.jpg

No-Honking days in India-nohonkingp.jpg

No-Honking days in India-nohonkingaw.jpg

No-Honking days in India-nohonkingaa.jpg

No-Honking days in India-nohonkingag.jpg

Source

It think it would not be out of context for us BHPians also to take a similar pledge not just on the 16th of March but as we set out on a drive everytime. Lets us strive hard to make our Nation free from noise pollution

Related Links: Other initiatives/achievements by Cops via SNS

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-you-ride.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...complaint.html

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 14th March 2013 at 20:41.
Warwithwheels is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 21:48   #55
Senior - BHPian

re: No-Honking days in India

Great initiative there is definitely a need to educate drivers/rides that horn is not a toy, but it needs to be used only in case of emergency.

Irresponsible honking is just adding to existing level of pollution(s), this one can be well controlled by responsible use. Probably there needs to be a cultural shift.

Last edited by tj123 : 14th March 2013 at 21:49. Reason: typo
Old 14th March 2013, 22:28   #56
BHPian

That's a great initiative.
The National Green Tribunal Southern Zone at Chennai took up a Suo Motu case on a letter written by a 80 year old A.M.Joseph on the problem caused by high decibel horns.
The Hon'ble Tribunal issued notices to the Commissioner of Police and the State Transport Department and I had appeared for the Respondents and filed my counter. It was reported here.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...s-tribunal/.ec

The Hon'ble Tribunal will be appointing an Amicus Curiae (friend of the Court) to assist the Tribunal in passing suitable directions.

We (The commissioner of police and the state transport department) have given some suggestions to the Hon'ble Tribunal regarding the Horn Issue and the matter was adjourned for 3/4/13.

You can check on any updates on The Hindu news paper who are covering the same.

FYI
Old 15th March 2013, 18:13   #57
BHPian

That's a great initiative.

I recently read an article about no honking practice being followed in banglore,Mumbai etc.

I was eagerly waiting when this would be practiced in chennai. Everyday when i drive this is a major thing that upsets me.
Old 15th March 2013, 18:45   #58
Team-BHP Support

I wonder why is everybody praising this initiative. Its a recipe for disaster. Thanks to the fact that the driving test here is joke, many people who should not even be on the passenger seat get drivers licenses easily. These people will change lanes without warning, cross the road, cut in front of everyone, turn suddenly without indication.
The only stimulus they respond to is "Audio". Their RVMs are folded, and they are like those horses with eye covers. Without a horn, you will hit such people, and then end up in a soup.
Rather than such silly initiatives, why not have initiatives such as forcing RTOs not to give drivers license without a proper drivers test?
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 20:36   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I wonder why is everybody praising this initiative. Its a recipe for disaster. Thanks to the fact that the driving test here is joke, many people who should not even be on the passenger seat get drivers licenses easily. These people will change lanes without warning, cross the road, cut in front of everyone, turn suddenly without indication.
The only stimulus they respond to is "Audio". Their RVMs are folded, and they are like those horses with eye covers. Without a horn, you will hit such people, and then end up in a soup.
Rather than such silly initiatives, why not have initiatives such as forcing RTOs not to give drivers license without a proper drivers test?
I definitely wouldn't call it silly.

With so much of incessant honking happening around, a majority of which is unwarranted for, I personally feel that we have kind of become immune to them (read ignore) to a certain extent.

The notion is not to stop honking, but use it sensibly and only when you want to attract the attention of another driver or pedestrian to an impending danger. But what I observe is (at least on Chennai roads), people either use it to bully their way through or honk hoping the traffic ahead will open up, as if a magic potion is applied
Old 15th March 2013, 22:20   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
...Rather than such silly initiatives, why not have initiatives such as forcing RTOs not to give drivers license without a proper drivers test?
If you read it carefully, the campaign is only against unnecessary honking and not honking itself.

How often do you like to be honked at when you are at a red light or chock a block traffic? The answer is anybody's guess!

Calling it silly is completely unwarranted!
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed