Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2013, 10:59   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: No-Honking days in India

What a illogical gesture this, no honking day. Dont people know that horns are essential safety devices in India apart from seatbelts, abs and that idol of your fav diety?
How can we move cows (both 2 and 4 legged) off our path? How can we warn people before we run over them without a honk? How can we express our joy/sadness/anger/ogling and all other upteen emotions without any sound? After all a horn is the voice of your car, and expressing one's opinion is a fundamental right
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 00:02   #92
BANNED

HORN and HONKING!

Most of the readers here would have traveled outside India, How many of you have seen people honking in traffic to the car in front for moving aside or honking at traffic signal from the very moment 'green'?? The horn pad is rarely used but in India the horn is a music creator be it traffic signal or to a car in front.

If traffic indiscipline is got rid from our roads then the horn also will be hardly used and such campaigns need not be done. Wasting time and money on stickers its design campaigning on streets.

Now when the people who are in this campaign are on the roads distributing stuff to other road users many will still honk to caution and honk when the signal turns green as they are blocking their way. If they are sticking stickers then buses, auto wallahs and cars that cant see what is happening will honk to glory till the traffic moves. Campaign Defeated.

Horns are used in caution to warn someone or inform some about an overtaking maneuver etc. Not done deliberately to create sound pollution.

My two cents.

Cheers,
Anurag
Old 27th October 2013, 14:17   #93
Senior - BHPian

From a Page that claims to be affiliated with the city traffic cops:

No-Honking days in India-63590_463467633716314_651049651_n.jpg

Source:http://chennai.trafficpolice.co.in/p/images.html
Old 26th April 2017, 08:29   #94
BHPian

Kerala: Kill the noise! It’s No-Honking Day on April 26

Quote:
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The State government, along with the Indian Medical Association (IMA), will observe the International Noise Awareness Day as ‘No- Honking’ Day on April 26.

The IMA Kerala chapter will join the drive as part of its nationwide campaign against noise pollution, which is reportedly on the rise.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...6-1597332.html
Old 26th April 2017, 10:28   #95
BHPian

Re: Kerala: Kill the noise! It’s No-Honking Day on April 26

Copying one of my earlier posts:

The last time I had to use the horn was about a month back when a rented Scorpio was reversing on an expressway, that too in the car lane.
Before that I don't remember when I had to honk.
I drive about 70 kms daily these days.

I have accepted the fact that I can't change how others drive and I have trained myself to be patient.
This has resulted in myself driving even more safely and calmly although the use of brakes has increased which is inevitable.

I relate honking on the road to abusing and we don't go abusing on the road all the time so why honk?
But then again, some people do go about abusing in public places and roads so a lot of people still honk without reason.
Kestrel5915 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 11:28   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel5915 View Post
I relate honking on the road to abusing and we don't go abusing on the road all the time so why honk?
But then again, some people do go about abusing in public places and roads so a lot of people still honk without reason.
Not necessarily. Honking could either mean "Hey! I'm here; dont bang into me" or "Get the hell out of my way!".

If I see a car/bike on a side road ahead of me, I'll honk loud and clear to warn him not to test my brakes. Better that than having to crash into him/being rear ended. Same applies for jay walkers, in which case I might even end up lynched.

Honking is a necessity on our roads. If I am overtaking someone, I always honk lest he suddenly turn right and crash into me. Just a couple of short bursts. At the same time, honking like a cabbie is a fail. Unless and untill lane discipline is the norm on our roads, the noise pollution is here to stay.

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 26th April 2017 at 11:29.
Old 26th April 2017, 11:35   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Not necessarily. Honking could either mean "Hey! I'm here; dont bang into me" or "Get the hell out of my way!".

If I see a car/bike on a side road ahead of me, I'll honk loud and clear to warn him not to test my brakes. Better that than having to crash into him/being rear ended. Same applies for jay walkers, in which case I might even end up lynched.

Honking is a necessity on our roads. If I am overtaking someone, I always honk lest he suddenly turn right and crash into me. Just a couple of short bursts. At the same time, honking like a cabbie is a fail. Unless and untill lane discipline is the norm on our roads, the noise pollution is here to stay.
As I said earlier, zero honking has resulted in myself being a calmer, safer and more situationally aware driver.
So I don't think honking is a necessity.

Now I'm able to anticipate a lot of things on the road without any extra effort.

But that's just my style
Old 2nd September 2018, 07:43   #98
BHPian

Re: No-Honking days in India

RTO Pune has organized 12 Sep 2018 as a no honing day.

Pune city hears an estimated 1Cr honks per day...

There is also a slogan competition.

IMHO: This is happening close to Ganapati festival which causes a lot bigger loud speaker nuisance than honking. Hope people also start realizing the ill effects of loud speakers used in festivities as well.

https://maharashtratimes.indiatimes....w/65639075.cms

Most Viewed