Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2013, 12:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Texting at the wheel turns tragic. Young American killed

Texting at the wheel turns tragic. Young American killed-thefinaltextmessageofstudentalexanderheit1823999.jpg

Quote:
This is the haunting, half-finished text message tapped out by a young driver who was killed before he could send it.

Alexander Heit's final text, cut-off mid-sentence, serves as a chilling reminder of the dangers of texting at the wheel.

The 22-year-old student died in a horror smash on April 3 after drifting into oncoming traffic, swerving and rolling his car off the road.

Alexander’s heartbroken parents.....
Link to Source + Full Article
Warwithwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 12:14   #2
BHPian

re: Texting at the wheel turns tragic. Young American killed

Thankfully the idiot didn't kill anyone else (I hope, for the article doesn't mention other casualties). This is the very reason I honk like I've gone bonkers if I notice the driver ahead busy looking at their phone. Several times I've noticed drivers going VERY slow and holding up traffic totally unaware of what they're upto. I really don't understand, why the hell can't you just stop your vehicle for a minute, finish the darn conversation (stop texting and make a call) and proceed to your destination?
hellmet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 12:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Texting at the wheel turns tragic. Young American killed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I really don't understand, why the hell can't you just stop your vehicle for a minute, finish the darn conversation (stop texting and make a call) and proceed to your destination?
Thats a sad reflection of our society today - our communities (particularly @ work) incentive multi-tasking behaviors. So what if one is driving - he can certainly take a call from his boss, or join into a teleconference on his commute.
In fact, the car , mobile and car audio system manufacturers are having a field day - they offer products which provide a 'safe alternative' to make that 'important' call when driving - and they absolve themselves of guilt by printing a warning on the manual - which few read, and fewer still follow.
As recently as last week, I have seen vehicles passing me on the NH24, doing at least 100 km/hour with the lone driver happily chatting away on his mobile - obviously their minds were not on the road.
Old 15th April 2013, 14:50   #4
BANNED

Re: Texting at the wheel turns tragic. Young American killed

Sad, but using mobile phone / hands free while driving is a very common sight now a days.

Everyday while going to office, I have seen 3 kinds of idiots.

1. Very big car, a person in suit, using his blackberry and almost not driving and holding the traffic back.
2. A lady in a small hatch driving very slow and using brakes adequately even when not required and waving the left hand as if she is directing an orchestra. Basically she is using hands free with making all kind of emotions and gestures.
3. An activa or bike swiveling like anything as if the rider is drunk till his throat. If you notice closely, there is a mobile phone stuck between his ear and "Hell-Mate" (I don't understand how that construction worker like helmet saves you from a fall !).

If using mobile phone while driving is illegal by law, then how the cars fitted with Bluetooth hands free are getting registered in RTO?
Old 16th April 2013, 11:48   #5
BHPian

And there are those baboons who are always glued to their earphones no matter what!! Walking, running, sitting in the bus, eating, my my almost all the time!!

It is as if you remove the earphones and they die types!! I sometimes feel like ramming into people who care a hoot about vehicles on the road and are lost listening to music!! I seriously feel talking over phone or using earphones while walking or crossing roads should also be punished properly!!
Old 9th May 2013, 18:56   #6
BHPian

Well may be he thought that the call was more critical than life. R.I.P for his soul.
These are behaviour driven and cannot be enforced by law always. for example if you are drinking water there is no rule that you should drink mineral water but how many of us will drink plain water in a tea stall. same applies to mobile phones too. Human mind demands justice when wronged and pleads compassion when in wrong
Old 9th May 2013, 19:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Can anyone help me see what is so critical in this conversation that required a person to text even otherwise! Texting while driving truly deserves Darwins Award.
More so in this case.

I have no sympathies for such lives lost.

Quote:
Witnesses told police that Alexander appeared to have his head down when he began drifting into the oncoming lane in the outskirts of Greeley, Colorado
What a moron!

Thank goodness no other lives were lost due to this idiot.

Last edited by alpha1 : 9th May 2013 at 19:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks