Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2013, 08:33   #61
BHPian

Re: My experience with Petrol Pump Fraud - And the silver lining

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
They wouldn't get the extra cash to pocket and it would rather go to the owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post

1. You are filled for 2500 and charged 2800. You pay by card.

Fuel Filled = 2500, Owner gets = 2800, Attendant get = 0
I think, in both ways attendant will be able to pocket extra money. One way is straight forward.
Now the second method (on card purchase). There will be many attendants in one fueling station. One person may work for sometime and hand it over next person for some time. Whenever a person take over a dispensing unit, he will note the cumulative reading at that point of time (eg:- 5000 ltrs). He will hand it over to next person and will note down the reading at the end (eg:6000). The person who was operating the pump will have to deposit amount corresponding to total sales ie 1000 x 85 =Rs 85000 at office ( Fuel/Rs.85/ltr). Some customers might have swiped their cards, for say Rs.15000 and rest is cash purchase. the attendant can easily match the total value by pocketing the surplus. The transaction slips during card purchase is counted as money. Hope things work this way.

Having said that, I don't believe all fuel pump owners are clean.
Old 22nd November 2013, 16:34   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But when you are paying by card then what incentive does the attendants have to cheat you? They wouldn't get the extra cash to pocket and it would rather go to the owner. Or is it that owners provide them bonuses on the amount of money they fleece from the customers at the end of every month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
It is very simple buddy.

1. You are filled for 2500 and charged 2800. You pay by card.

Fuel Filled = 2500, Owner gets = 2800, Attendant get = 0

2. I go and fill for 500, pay by cash. Attendant gives 200 to owner and pockets 300.

Fuel filled = 3000, Owner gets = 3000, Attendant gets = 300.

You get cheated!!

SIr he doesnt have to wait for someone else to come and fill up the moment the sales boy cheats someone he at the very precise moment removes the same amount from the cash in hand and pockets it. In the present scenario as soon as the customer would have left after paying 2800/ by card the sales boy would have removed 300/ from the cash in hand.

The dealers only used to benefit through adulteration which has been curbed now so now most of the malpractices are a bonus for The sales staff.
Old 22nd November 2013, 21:33   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
SIr he doesnt have to wait for someone else to come and fill up the moment the sales boy cheats someone he at the very precise moment removes the same amount from the cash in hand and pockets it. In the present scenario as soon as the customer would have left after paying 2800/ by card the sales boy would have removed 300/ from the cash in hand.

The dealers only used to benefit through adulteration which has been curbed now so now most of the malpractices are a bonus for The sales staff.
It is obvious that he doesn't have to wait There are hundreds of cash customers everyday. I just quoted the example to make understanding easy.
Old 7th August 2017, 20:26   #64
BANNED

If you are someone who counts the notes when someone else is counting , please read this !!

I noticed something new happening at petrol bunks off-late. Not sure if this is an old trick or this has been posted earlier on the forum.

Most of the times I use my card at station to fuel up. I recently went to the Bharat Petroleum on Residency road and asked to fill up for 200 and decided to give him in cash. I gave him 500 note,in return he counted 3 hundred rupee notes but handed over only 2 Hundred rupee notes. I immediately counted the notes because this was the second time I was facing this and I knew that he is trying to cheat me. I asked him where is another hundred then he gives me 2 fifty rupee notes. Makes it look like he is giving 100x2 and 50x2.

The trick of him counting 3 notes and giving only 2 notes looks extremely legit. You will not find out unless you count the notes again when in your hand. So if you are someone who counts the notes when someone else is counting then be-aware.
mohammedismail is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 20:40   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedismail View Post
Most of the times I use my card at station to fuel up. I recently went to the Bharat Petroleum on Residency road and asked to fill up for 200 and decided to give him in cash. I gave him 500 note,in return he counted 3 hundred rupee notes but handed over only 2 Hundred rupee notes. I immediately counted the notes because this was the second time I was facing this and I knew that he is trying to cheat me. I asked him where is another hundred then he gives me 2 fifty rupee notes. Makes it look like he is giving 100x2 and 50x2.
This exact thing happened to me in a HP station in Chennai few weeks back including the 50x2 bit and I brushed it off as attendant's carelessness at that time

I was struggling to close my scooter's seat lid after filling up while watching the attendant counting the notes. I definitely thought I saw 3x100 notes counted but he gave me only 2x100 notes and I paused a bit to check if I'm wrong and asked him for the remaining 100. He was surprised (or acted!) and he gave me 2x50 notes and I thought nothing about it at that time. Really could be a cheating averted!!
Old 7th August 2017, 20:45   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
This exact thing happened to me in a HP station in Chennai few weeks back including the 50x2 bit and I brushed it off as attendant's carelessness at that time
So this is happening everywhere. In-fact when it happened for the first time to me I was clueless whether it is a deliberate attempt or a mistake but when it happened for the second time I blasted him and his frightened face said everything.
Old 7th August 2017, 21:01   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedismail View Post
If you are someone who counts the notes when someone else is counting , please read this !!

I noticed something new happening at petrol bunks off-late. Not sure if this is an old trick or this has been posted earlier on the forum.

The trick of him counting 3 notes and giving only 2 notes looks extremely legit. You will not find out unless you count the notes again when in your hand. So if you are someone who counts the notes when someone else is counting then be-aware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post

I was struggling to close my scooter's seat lid after filling up while watching the attendant counting the notes. I definitely thought I saw 3x100 notes counted but he gave me only 2x100 notes and I paused a bit to check if I'm wrong and asked him for the remaining 100. He was surprised (or acted!) and he gave me 2x50 notes and I thought nothing about it at that time. Really could be a cheating averted!!
This exact thing was tried with me too. A new thing is "card machine not working" and they want to transact with cash. I bluntly refuse to pay cash and drive out. A couple of days back registered a complaint with HPCL that the bunk doesn't accept cards beyond 11 pm which is plain ridiculous. I drove out without refueling, not that I did not have cash, just that digital way is easier and 0.75% incentive to boot. Awaiting response from HPCL now.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 18:47   #68
BHPian

I fill up at a couple of petrol pumps on the Kalyan Shil road near Dombivali. My XUV has a tank capacity of 70 Liters. I have noticed at both the HP pumps that even when my fuel indicator is showing 2 bars, the guy ends up filling 67 to 68 liters. I find it strange and upon being confronted, the guys does the 5 liter measuring can filling routine satisfactorily. I always keep an eye on the meter, make sure it is reset, the nozzle is on auto cut off and the attendant does not touch it.
Any fellow XUV owners can verify if this is possible, I am in doubt if i am getting short changed.
Old 9th August 2017, 23:02   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk016 View Post
Any fellow XUV owners can verify if this is possible, I am in doubt if i am getting short changed.
XUV's actual tank capacity is larger than the advertised 70L. When my vehicle was delivered, the SA poured 8 liters of diesel into the tank in front of me. I drove 10 km to the pump and it took 67.5 liters (no topping up).
At the most recent fillup, it was down to 1 bar and it took 70 liters, again no topping up and this was at my trusted pump.

Last edited by mustang_shelby : 9th August 2017 at 23:03.
Old 9th August 2017, 23:34   #70
BHPian

Not exactly a petrol pump fraud but I believe the petrol pump staff is also aware of this. There is an HP petrol pump near Sarjapur Road where the guy who fills air will always say that the one of tyres has less pressure than the others and that particular tyre has puncture, he will then ask to get it checked there itself as he has the tools. I have experienced it myself and noticed that guy trying this trick with a few other customers every time I go there. I even warned a few of them.
jayantvs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 16:03   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayantvs View Post
Not exactly a petrol pump fraud but I believe the petrol pump staff is also aware of this. There is an HP petrol pump near Sarjapur Road where the guy who fills air will always say that the one of tyres has less pressure than the others and that particular tyre has puncture, he will then ask to get it checked there itself as he has the tools. I have experienced it myself and noticed that guy trying this trick with a few other customers every time I go there. I even warned a few of them.
Is this on haralur road, near sarjapur road?
Old 10th August 2017, 16:12   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
Is this on haralur road, near sarjapur road?
Yes exactly. Have you experienced the same?
Old 11th August 2017, 15:39   #73
BHPian

Well it was genuine once, but i guess he tries to up sell his services when you fill nitrogen.
Old 13th August 2017, 10:23   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk016 View Post
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
XUV's actual tank capacity is larger than the advertised 70L.
Similar experience for me as well in Bangalore. I read some explanation somewhere that the XUV has around 5- 8 liters for some "dead weight"storage or something like that, and this is over and above the advertised 70 liters capacity.
Old 24th December 2017, 18:24   #75
BHPian

Shell petrol bunk Old Madras Road near Gopalan mall credit card cheating

Shell petrol bunk credit card cheating experienced for the second time so it is not error.

The meter read 1819/-. Attendant swiped for 2719/-.

Last time he asked me to move the car forward so I could not see the reading. It was the same pump station, third from main road.

After complaining to manager, I was refunded 1000/-. I'm wondering how the attendant benefits.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th December 2017 at 20:13. Reason: Posts moved to existing thread. Doesn't require a new thread for a fraud on every other fuel pump. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks