Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2013, 11:32   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 3 Kids enter an unlocked car at a Stockyard, Die from suffocation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Does that mean we would be liable for such an incident if we forget to lock our car on the roadside and something similar happens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Incident is tragic, but I would also suggest that the main cause is bad parenting - and the parents are as equally responsible here as anyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

This is like one of those bizarre stories we read in email forwards where a burglar slips on a roof and suffers an injury, then sues the homeowner for not maintaining the roof!
+1 to all the above. Although, its a very tragic incident and my heart goes out to those poor kids, but frankly they were caught on the wrong foot. And again I wonder why these kids were not able to open he doors from inside. A 6-7 kid should be easily doing it.

Parents should have known where their children go playing, if there was an opening, they should have instructed the kids not to step in there. After all, its someone else's property. & the news of arrest is simply mind-boggling. WHY? Unfortunately, the parents had to learn their lesson the hard way, and useless loss of lives.

Completely agree with Zenren & Noop's statements quoted above.
Old 26th April 2013, 11:32   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
..And it seems very unlikely that a 6-7 year-old kid cannot open an unlocked car door.

Foul play perhaps?
Or may be a very wild guess here.. For some unusual reason doors had child lock on.
Rudra Sen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 11:37   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Child locks are usually installed only on the rear seats, Rudra.

Any child who has been in a car figures out pretty quickly how to tug on the door handles to open them. There may be something fishy here.
Old 26th April 2013, 12:16   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

What a shocking tragedy!

Is a Verito really THAT airtight? It must have been a top end model with all 4 power windows. If I remmember correctly, the Verito comes with the older style top-of-door-mounted push down / pull up locks. If they accidentally pushed it down, how come none of them experimented with pulling it UP?

Assume the 35+ celsius heat also played a terrible role in this.

Last edited by itwasntme : 26th April 2013 at 12:17. Reason: Grammar
Old 26th April 2013, 12:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
13 hours of being locked in, in a car - esp. of Indian design & manufacture - is not likely to suffocate anyone to death. The cabin is never THAT leak-proof.
You do have a point, but there could be some exceptions. For instance, when I drive my Fiesta in re-circulate mode for more than half an hour, I do feel a wee bit suffocated, causing me to switch to fresh air mode or open a small gap in the window to allow fresh air. I guess it is better insulated than other cars. There could be other cars too.

I really pity those hapless kids who met with the most gruesome fate.

Last edited by vnabhi : 26th April 2013 at 12:28.
Old 26th April 2013, 13:16   #21
BHPian

Quote:
There were marks on the dusty windowpanes, indicating that they had unsuccessfully struggled to break them open, investigating police officers told TOI.
Now how would the window panes be dusty on the inside of the car? Looks like TOI is trying to sensationalize things a bit.
Old 26th April 2013, 14:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Now how would the window panes be dusty on the inside of the car? Looks like TOI is trying to sensationalize things a bit.
They're trying to imply that the children banged on or hit the windows with their soiled hands.
Recompose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 16:06   #23
BHPian

This is a tragedy indeed. RIP. But what were the parents upto? And why is the yard owner being arrested? This has really got me thinking about what a skewed and mindless system we have. It is pretty obvious that the parents were responsible for this mishap. Why have children if you can't take care of them and keep them close.

I feel sad, especially since they were just 5 or 6 years old... sheesh.
Old 26th April 2013, 16:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: 3 Children enter an unlocked car at Global Gallerie Stockyard: Die from suffocati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
It is pretty obvious that the parents were responsible for this mishap. Why have children if you can't take care of them and keep them close.

I feel sad, especially since they were just 5 or 6 years old... sheesh.
Precisely that is what the unfortunate parents will think for the rest of their lives. But I think it is not always possible to keep your children close. It is an accident and nobody involved would have thought that their carelessness will lead to such horrible incident.
Old 26th April 2013, 16:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: 3 Children enter an unlocked car at Global Gallerie Stockyard: Die from suffocati

Very tragic. Surprised that there isn't any inlet of air into car, even from fan vents. If somebody forgets to lock their car during night and such a thing happens, who is responsible?
Old 26th April 2013, 16:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Precisely that is what the unfortunate parents will think for the rest of their lives. But I think it is not always possible to keep your children close. It is an accident and nobody involved would have thought that their carelessness will lead to such horrible incident.
Absolutely Sourabh, these kind of incidents are rare. Nevertheless, they are avoidable. Unfortunate is what I can call it.
Old 26th April 2013, 16:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
A closed car without the AC running does not recirculate the air inside. So if there is someone inside, his breathing would slowly take up the entire oxygen inside the cabin and replace it with carbon dioxide.
Also when they are tense and banging around, that oxygen could deplete very fast. Like Rudra said, could be child locks and maybe the doors locked as soon as they banged it shut. These are kids from small backgrounds who recently moved in to a town, so they may not be aware of the ways and means.

Poor Delivery checking executive, he has been made a scapegoat.
Old 26th April 2013, 16:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Just curious, which car was it in fact?
Old 26th April 2013, 17:03   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Just curious, which car was it in fact?
It was a Mahindra Verito, Brand New in a Mahindra Dealer's Stock-Yard.
Old 26th April 2013, 18:35   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Parents need to learn the gentle art of supervision, persuasion and firmness. The real tragedy is the way the newer generation of parents bring up their kids. Absolutely zero discipline or corrective action taken. One needs only to pop over to any mall or restaurant pretty much anywhere in India to observe the crass negligence of idiotic parents!

Most Viewed