Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2013, 19:40   #16
BHPian

Silver lights beware:Kerala cops to be equipped with photometers!

According to media, Kerala Motor Vehicles Department has decided to nab cars that are using powerful headlamps of light intensity beyond the specifications in the MV Act. Photometer, the device used to measure light intensity is at the last stage of acquisition and is soon to be handed over to the cops. Increasing number of accidents at night due to the glare from such powerful headlamps forced the MVD to reach the stand.

Now, if the cops are equipped with photometers, then
  1. What will they do, if they 'manage' to stop those premium cars that comes with HID lamps from the factory?
  2. What is the intensity level specified in the act and how could one know if his car exceeds the limit or not?
  3. Is the photometer a threat only for the bluish/white lamps or the normal yellow lights too?

What say Bhpians?

junaid12345678 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 20:01   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Silver lights beware:Kerala cops to be equipped with photometers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
What will they do, if they 'manage' to stop those premium cars that comes with HID lamps from the factory?
OE HID's do not blind the on-coming driver, and hence are safe. It's the after-market lamps of higher light temp that are the problem with or without HID / Projectors.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 20:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
  1. What will they do, if they 'manage' to stop those premium cars that comes with HID lamps from the factory?
All cars sold by manufacturers have to be certified by the ARAI before they can be sold. Thus you can be sure they meet all regulations of CMVR and MV Acts.

Its only people who use aftermarket lights who need to worry.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 20:15   #19
BHPian

I whole-heartedly welcome this initiative. Its required especially in Kerala where narrow roads are there and some dumb drivers come with their headlights on.

I would personally like this rule to be followed in Maharashtra too. Pune has a lot of such guys roaming around with bright white lights causing complete blindness for oncoming vehicles like us
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 20:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I whole-heartedly welcome this initiative. Its required especially in Kerala where narrow roads are there and some dumb drivers come with their headlights on.

I would personally like this rule to be followed in Maharashtra too. Pune has a lot of such guys roaming around with bright white lights causing complete blindness for oncoming vehicles like us

Yes, you are right. Here lots of people are just crazy about headlamps and usually inquire Auto stores for the brightest lamps available. They are not ready to understand the potential dangers associated with it. Here almost everyone encounters such morons on roads and have no choice than to stop the car or drive into trouble.
Old 17th July 2013, 20:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

OE lights with OE bulbs, badly focused and with high beam on, will most definitely blind oncoming traffic. I've seen that this is more common than illegal light upgrades.

In this scenario, photometers will help ... how exactly?
Old 17th July 2013, 20:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
OE lights with OE bulbs, badly focused and with high beam on, will most definitely blind oncoming traffic. I've seen that this is more common than illegal light upgrades.

In this scenario, photometers will help ... how exactly?
I think it's a start in the right direction and what has been sicinctly explained above in terms of retrofit HID's mainly and extra ancillary lamp usage being the focus of the drive are a good start. Badly focused in most cases are either very easily visible to naked eye as either the car is a khatara or recently hit and in most cases will come down to discretion and learning curve of the enforcing officer, both being non issues as the directions seems very right. We must start somewhere and nothing is achieved in big steps. This is good and should be encouraged
Old 17th July 2013, 20:41   #23
BHPian

Have observed following abuse of lighting systems:
1. Headlights in high beam on city roads with street lights
2. Headlights and fog lamps both on on highways and sometimes on city roads
also

Sometimes, I feel truck drivers are more disciplined. I have come across many trucks on highways who turn to low beam on coming close to vehicles coming from the opposite side. I think nowadays driving schools are not teaching this basic night-driving skill.
Old 17th July 2013, 20:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
This is discussed elsewhere in forum Lux meter
I was about to say that.
Meanwhile what is blinding and that too at its ferocious best is the four and six headlamps of private buses and trucks. Moreover the dipped and the high beams do not differ in these vehicles. These are to be very daringly removed then and there itself. These are the main causative factor for many road casualties.
Old 17th July 2013, 21:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaahanYogi View Post
Have observed following abuse of lighting systems:

Sometimes, I feel truck drivers are more disciplined. I have come across many trucks on highways who turn to low beam on coming close to vehicles coming from the opposite side. I think nowadays driving schools are not teaching this basic night-driving skill.
Yes, me too feel that. The truck drivers now drive with more sense than some car drivers, especially at night. They always show special attention to dim their headlamps for the oncoming traffic. If they are moving at very slow pace then a single honk is enough to make them pull to the left. That's really some discipline.

Mods please merge the thread as the topic is discussed before. Regards
Old 18th July 2013, 09:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kerala MVD squads issued Lux meters. To target Illegal Headlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
+100 to alpha. Ask the corporation to fit street lights and you wont have any issues. I agree that this is a good move but proper street lighting is essential.
Dept out here in Cochin is more interested to cause hardships to motorists while the govt/corporation do nothing for the common man.
What are these guys even doing without ensuring basic needs like proper street lights? I am deeply worried about losing my 100/90W lighting. Not sure how do we drive with 60/55W in Kerala roads!

Tall stance of Xylo helps but cannot ive with stock lighting in my hatchbacks.

Agree to the point that one should drive on low beams in Urban areas, most of us do that already.

Last edited by jacs : 18th July 2013 at 09:53.
Old 28th August 2013, 08:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kerala MVD squads issued Lux meters. To target Illegal Headlamps

The Kerala MVD launched the night drive on Monday at 7 p.m. It was planned for 15 days and is likely to be extended further. In light of violations, MVD launches special drive

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks