Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2013, 12:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: An Accident in the Office Parking lot

Naetik,

Sorry to hear about the accident. As others have suggested stop pitying yourself and get moving with the car repairs. Everybody on the forum can understand your pain and relate to it in some way or the other. Good thing that you extracted some money from the lady, I hope the balance also comes easy.

Reg the lessons learnt I can agree with only point no 3. I could not stop smiling at point no 4 "Do not leave office early" I mean whats the logic in this one. Also it is not compulsory to carry original RC when you travel to a different city, a colour zerox of the smart card is enough. Of course in case of any accident you will have to produce the original but Insurance Claim process can be started without one.

I hope when you return back, you will find the same beauty welcoming you. All the best. Couldnt stop thinking how much would the lady had to spend on the repairs of her car.
Old 30th May 2013, 12:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Naetik,

Sorry to hear about the accident. As others have suggested stop pitying yourself and get moving with the car repairs. Everybody on the forum can understand your pain and relate to it in some way or the other. Good thing that you extracted some money from the lady, I hope the balance also comes easy.

Reg the lessons learnt I can agree with only point no 3. I could not stop smiling at point no 4 "Do not leave office early" I mean whats the logic in this one. Also it is not compulsory to carry original RC when you travel to a different city, a colour zerox of the smart card is enough. Of course in case of any accident you will have to produce the original but Insurance Claim process can be started without one.

I hope when you return back, you will find the same beauty welcoming you. All the best. Couldnt stop thinking how much would the lady had to spend on the repairs of her car.
Hi @ghodlur. Thanks. May be my post came out as self pity - but let me assure you it was just anger at the lady that may have got projected that way. And 'Do not leave office early' was just for fun!!! And my RC is not a smart card. It is a small booklet (2009 registration in Bangalore). And the TATA AIG guys insisted on seeing the original RC before starting the whole process and I did not have the time to get the RC as I was leaving for US soon. Anyways as I already mentioned bad timing everywhere.
Old 30th May 2013, 12:15   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
Lessons learnt:
1. Insurance in India doesnt work when you end up in an accident.
*** Sorry cant agree. We have claimed even a body shell replacement with HDFC for THAR/XUV and it was v fast & smooth process.
2. Carry your original RC, if you are leaving your city.
*** No need. B extract is more tha enought for a insurance company. Which you can get from your RTO on paying of rs 10/-
3. Have the contact numbers of service advisors handy.
*** Toll free num
4. Do not leave office early.

Or use MM5XX or THARs on Road, so your not bothered.

Last edited by Rajith : 30th May 2013 at 12:19.
Old 30th May 2013, 12:25   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
1. Insurance in India doesnt work when you end up in an accident.
*** Sorry cant agree. We have claimed even a body shell replacement with HDFC for THAR/XUV and it was v fast & smooth process.
2. Carry your original RC, if you are leaving your city.
*** No need. B extract is more tha enought for a insurance company. Which you can get from your RTO on paying of rs 10/-
3. Have the contact numbers of service advisors handy.
*** Toll free num
4. Do not leave office early.

Or use MM5XX or THARs on Road, so your not bothered.
Hey Ranjith. If you are willing to claim on your insurance it will work. But try claiming on 3rd party to understand the true insurance formalities. It is almost impossible. Basically you will have to leave your vehicle and the offending vehicle at the police station, file an FIR. Then comes the hard part - even if the offending driver agrees that he was at fault - it is not enough. Both the insurance companies will fight it out in court and then come to a conclusion on who pays. And do remember - until all this happens your car is court property.

And about the service advisors numbers - it helps to get a quick quote on the damage done. In my case the guy gave an estimate that was within a few hundreds from my actual bill.

And what exactly is a B extract and how do I get it. Sorry, if this is common knowledge. Pardon my ignorance..
Old 31st May 2013, 17:14   #20
BHPian

Re: An Accident in the Office Parking lot

Hi Naetik,

I have encountered a similar situation in my office. Only I wasn't driving. Someone banged my car's rear bumper while it was parked. I got the shock of my life once I finished my work & saw my car at the parking lot. I didn't even know who did it. Well Life goes on, got it repaired without using the Insurance (as bumpers have 50% coverage & the damage was reversible for a petty amount).

It would be great if you put up some pictures to let us know how much was the damage.
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Hi Naetik,

I have encountered a similar situation in my office. Only I wasn't driving. Someone banged my car's rear bumper while it was parked. I got the shock of my life once I finished my work & saw my car at the parking lot. I didn't even know who did it. Well Life goes on, got it repaired without using the Insurance (as bumpers have 50% coverage & the damage was reversible for a petty amount).

It would be great if you put up some pictures to let us know how much was the damage.

Thanks everyone. Finally uploaded the pics from my phone. As the basement was dark the pictures are not of top quality. The lady in the second pic, (I cropped her head) was the ONE.
Attached Thumbnails
An Accident in the Office Parking lot-20130417_16.26.10.jpg  

An Accident in the Office Parking lot-20130417_16.26.23.jpg  

Last edited by Naetik30 : 3rd June 2013 at 14:12. Reason: corrected grammatical error. And added some more info.
Old 3rd June 2013, 16:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
And what exactly is a B extract and how do I get it. Sorry, if this is common knowledge. Pardon my ignorance..
B Register extract is a summary of information that the RTO has about a particular vehicle. The RTO creates a summary sheet out of their system and gives it to the person requesting it.
When I purchased my car, the bank asked for this as proof that hypothecation information was correctly entered by the RTO.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

I had my swift's front right fender damaged by an unknown vehicle while it was innocently parked in my last company's basement. I paid 2200 or 2300 from my own pocket. I cried and even posted about it here.

The fender, which was re-painted, still bears a yellowish tinge compared to the rest of the car colour (white) and every time I used to look at it, it would really pinch me. However, after some time or should I say having owned a car for about 3 years now, I know that my car might be banged by another hopeless idiot and there might not be much that I'd be able to do about it. So, I just ensure that I'm able to keep at least 5-10k aside every year for such unsolicited damage to my car. That money is a bonus if my car goes untouched for a year (which hasn't been the case) or else I take it as part of the idiot tax that I must pay to ply on these godforsaken roads.

As I mentioned elsewhere, my next car WILL be an SUV or a Thar if M&M decides to refine it to a daily driver (and I mean really refine it).

Having said that, what if you had casually mentioned that since you have to go to USA you'd rather prefer taking both the cars to the police station as you wouldn't be needing one for a couple of weeks at least. I strongly believe that neither the lady nor the white knights would've welcomed that move. Lately I've been keeping my cool during any small/big incidents on road and always insist on involving the cops, no matter how lengthy or scary it might eventually be. This always works in my favour because no one these days wants to get the cops involved. However, if someone was to play my bluff, I'd take a u-turn instantly, get out of there and may be pay for the damages from my own pocket, which I anyway would have.
Old 4th June 2013, 10:39   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
As I mentioned elsewhere, my next car WILL be an SUV or a Thar if M&M decides to refine it to a daily driver (and I mean really refine it).
====================
However, if someone was to play my bluff, I'd take a u-turn instantly, get out of there and may be pay for the damages from my own pocket, which I anyway would have.
Hi @fine69. Idiot tax is absolutely the right term to use.

And I am kicking myself for not having warned them about going to police. As it was my first real accident (other than the small scratches our regular stunt bikes give my car routinely), I was in shock and could not thnk straight. But next time I am not going to just warn - but call the police straightaway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks