Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2013, 14:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Driverless Esteem spotted in Bangalore. EDIT : Hoax - See video on Page 4

It is surprising, but I am trying to get the intent of the person. Is he researching or demonstrating his technology or is he just showing off his talent as a scientist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Have our laws been modified for a driverless car ? What is the legality in a hypothetical situation involving a mishap, violation ?
But to be a devil's advocate. Well how will you arrest the driver, when there is not any?

Last edited by xingamazon : 10th June 2013 at 14:03.
Old 10th June 2013, 14:33   #17
BHPian

I think this guy is pulling a fast one on all. Have a look at the driver's seat.. Its a seat with a peson hidden "inside" it!!
I recently saw a candid camera TV program where a guy drove into a Mc Donalds Drive in counter camouflaged as a "Driver Seat".. The lady at the counter was shocked to see a car driving in without a driver..
This guy is using the same trick!!
Old 10th June 2013, 14:54   #18
BHPian

I am sure there is no law for driverless car in India. The legality of it would be under question when there is an accident. However, hats off to the guy on his invention and ingenuity. Hope he is able to improve the technology and partner with some big MNC's and market the product.
Old 10th June 2013, 15:10   #19
BHPian

Y that driver seat needs to be coverred like this??. As some one pointed out, there may be someone driving the car actually.

If its of the guy's own technology, Its definetly not legal to ride on public roads. He should get it approved and bring it to public road.
Old 10th June 2013, 15:22   #20
BHPian

I have seen this car in Jayanagar a couple of times. The front passenger seat was occupied and the steering wheel was covered with a jacket. It looked more like a 'show-off' than a test being carried out.
Old 10th June 2013, 15:48   #21

Kudos to the guy! (provided its genuine), but if he can make a car drive itself on Indian roads, he can make it drive anywhere in the world!

Wrt to legality of the same, if at all the car is to meet with an accident, the owner of the car or the person responsible for making the car drive by itself (provided he had done the same without the knowledge of the owner) would be liable.
Old 10th June 2013, 16:07   #22
BHPian

I intended to start a thread on this topic when I spotted this car outside Forum mall near diary circle. Since I did not have a pic of this car I refrained thinking people wouldn't believe. Have spotted The esteem 6 months back when I was returning from a movie and there was no one on the drivers seat. The guy on the passenger seat was looking deeply on some console at hand. I don't think it as a camouflage or trick being played.
Old 10th June 2013, 16:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post

But to be a devil's advocate. Well how will you arrest the driver, when there is not any?
In the absence of the driver, the person/entity in whose name the vehicle is registered is liable. This means instead of a challan, the court notice goes to the registered address.
Old 10th June 2013, 16:37   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Y that driver seat needs to be coverred like this??. As some one pointed out, there may be someone driving the car actually.
That's a good point. Will all sensors here and there and that GPS and all, everything we can digest, but why that cloth is used to cover the seat? Seems like someone wants to be the news!
Old 10th June 2013, 16:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

With the absence of sensors, cameras etc, Is he controlling the car sitting in the passenger's seat and its not really a driver less car?
Old 10th June 2013, 17:21   #26

I had seen this car a couple of months back, it was parked next to my car in a signal and there in nobody in the passenger seat. The jacket is there to both attract and distract attention is what I believe.
Old 10th June 2013, 17:31   #27
BHPian

I saw this Car yesterday in MG Road. Got a chance to peep in and found that the Gentleman sitting in the Front passenger seat had is his Right Leg stretched till the Pedals. I think he might be providing only the steering input via some kind of a joystick.
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 17:34   #28
BHPian

Interesting, But here is my guess on his stunt.

I dont believe a GPS and sensor combination can navigate a car in such a crowded place. This guy is pulling a quick one on all.
If he is really doing it, he will be in international news.

How he must be doing?
Car must be having a set of pedals on the left side like a driving school car.

Steering control? Well, this is where things get interesting.
In a electric power steering cars, a small torque sensor is attached to the steering column. The sensor when removed looks like a volume control knob which turns left or right.
If you turn the knob to the left, (you can actually turn the knob with your fingers, it doesnt require any effort at all) the steering wheel moves to the left and viceversa.

Sitting to the left, this guy must be holding the torque sensor and turning it left and right to turn the steering.

Picture of a torque sensor below.
Attached Thumbnails
Driverless Esteem spotted in Bangalore. EDIT : Hoax - See video on Page 4-images.jpg  

T1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 17:36   #29
BANNED

Really surprised that an "Automotive" Forum such as Team BHP discusses the possibility of this Esteem being real. Really surprised at the responses as well.

How on earth can an ancient Maruti Esteem, without a minimum number of electronic and mechatronic aids, (probably more than what would fit inside an Esteem to be able to drive such an ancient machine), be expected to drive by itself? Any idea how much computing power required to do a simple thing as a steering adjustment? Any idea how many servos and solenoids you would have to fit inside?

Seriously guys, a driver-less Esteem? Gimme a break. Let's leave sci-fi to the professionals, and wait for Superman instead

Cheers.
gthang is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 18:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here's a pic of the same car from another Team-BHP thread

In fact, it is the exact same pic from one year earlier .
Blue Thunder is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks