Old 10th June 2013, 10:10   #1
BHPian

Kerala MVD announces crackdown on "artistic" number plates

Unfortunately, only in Malayalam:
Kerala MVD announces crackdown on "artistic" number plates-10062013841.jpg
©Mathrubhumi daily.

Highlights:
  • No plastic number plates.
  • Specifications mentioned in CMVR section 39, rule 50(1), 50(3).
  • Must be written in English.
  • For bikes, front plate should be 28.5 x 4.5 cm and back plates should be 20 x 10 cm. Front plates should have registration number written in a single row with figures having 3 x 0.5 cm. Rear plates should have alphabets with 4 cm height and digits with 3.5 cm height with 0.5 cm space between them. The width of the rear alphabets and digits should be 0.7 cm.
  • Cars should have front 50 x 12. Rear plates 34 x 20. Alphabets 6.5 cm height and 1 cm width with 1 cm space in between. Registration number should be written in two rows. Example given is "KL-01" in one row and the rest in second.
  • For larger vehicles, front and rear plates should be 34 x 20.
  • Fines upto Rs. 5000.
darklord is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 12:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kerala MVD announces crackdown on "artistic" number plates

Most of the cars now a days have same dimension for number plates in front and back - wonder how we will fix the two row number plate (like those on Ambassador, Santro etc) on the back side of Swift, Vista, Punto etc.

I am sure there will be lot of over enthusiastic Police men who want to pounce on this opportunity to fill their coffers.
Old 10th June 2013, 14:56   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Am all hand for uniform numberplates and doing away with fancy ones, but come on, the two row lettering is just ridiculous.
Can't even imagine a modern car having that kind of a number plate, haven't even seen it other than in the Amby, Padmini and old Santro.

Well, for how much long can they implement the two row number plates as the uniform high security plates are coming.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 23:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Am all hand for uniform numberplates and doing away with fancy ones, but come on, the two row lettering is just ridiculous.
Can't even imagine a modern car having that kind of a number plate, haven't even seen it other than in the Amby, Padmini and old Santro.

Well, for how much long can they implement the two row number plates as the uniform high security plates are coming.
The rear number plate can be in a single row in modern vehicles where there is no sufficient provision for two row number plates.

Visit the website of Ministry Of Road Transport and Highways (MORTH).

http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/li...1235607625.pdf

Also, the following document of Motor Vehicles Rules is clear on the provision.

The-Central-Motor-Vehicles-Rules-1989.pdf

The specific location is highlighted in the following image.

Kerala MVD announces crackdown on "artistic" number plates-singlelinenumberplatepage.jpg

You may keep a copy of this in your car.
KMohanan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 19:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have a related query regarding number plates in Kerala. I am told number plate(high security) as shown below is the "legally correct" one as per a car accessories shop owner. it got a "INDI" written on the left and a 3D sticker pasted. AFAIK, these are not yet approved in India.

I believe this is wrong. He says, he gets this done at Ernakulam by some RTA approved company. is this true?
Attached Thumbnails
Kerala MVD announces crackdown on "artistic" number plates-1366869893_504484649_2picturesofindaluminumnumberplates.jpg  

Last edited by deepclutch : 21st August 2013 at 19:48.
Old 21st August 2013, 20:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I have a related query regarding number plates in Kerala. I am told number plate(high security) as shown below is the "legally correct" one as per a car accessories shop owner. it got a "INDI" written on the left and a 3D sticker pasted. AFAIK, these are not yet approved in India.

I believe this is wrong. He says, he gets this done at Ernakulam by some RTA approved company. is this true?

1. The high security number plates are not yet implemented in Kerala.
2. When implemented, the number plates for your car will be issued by RTO just like they issue RC for your new car.
3. No other agency, other than RTO, can print or issue such number plates.
4. Therefore, such number plates printed and issued by private agencies are fake and illegal.
5. Fixing such fake or illegal number plates is a punishable offence.

All these facts are clearly explained in the kerala rto site www.keralamvd.gov.in.
link was given in my earlier posting.

Are you not convinced ??

Then, I will give a simple example.

The indian currency notes are printed and circulated by Reserve Bank of India.
Any other agency if print or circulate currency notes, they are fake notes and illegal.
Carrying such fake notes is a punishable offence.
Do you want to carry such fake notes ?? If your answer is 'no', use a normal number plate.

Regards.
KMohanan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 21:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
1. The high security number plates are not yet implemented in Kerala.
5. Fixing such fake or illegal number plates is a punishable offence.

Do you want to carry such fake notes ?? If your answer is 'no', use a normal number plate.
I have a slight difference to this view. If the above number plate is fake, then a 'normal' one, as suggested, is also a fake as long as point #1 holds true.

And I know people complaining that the police has fined many a vehicle for not getting reflective + embossed number plates as the above.

The wordings from the site quoted below:

Quote:
Fake High Security Registration Plates - Public Notice: Many agencies in Kerala are manufacturing and selling look alike High Security Registration Number Plates. It is also noticed that many vehicles are fitted with such number plates. The Department hereby informs that High Security Registration Number Plates have not yet been implemented in the State. For more details click here to see the press release and posters.
What I understood reading the material is that the notice is to make general public be aware that such number plates are not the original high security number plates and there is a scam in the name of it. If you go further into the malayalam PDF file, it is clearly mentioned that this is not a substitute of High Security Number Plates and that this circular is to prevent scam regarding the same.

That IND and the 3D sticker, on the so called fake number plate, is just a simple sticker that can be removed easily. Even if that is not pasted, the embossing and reflective sticker-ing of the black numbers costs the same. This I have reconfirmed with 2 number plate dealers when I put mine.

Anyway, thanks to this post, I am removing the IND and the 3D sticker.
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:53   #8
BHPian

High Security Boards have not been implemented in Kerala. All the boards are 'fakes' or look alikes. Even the hologram is a fake. But the thing is that these boards atleast can be read. As of now MVD is just insisting that the boards should be legible and of the dimensions specified.

I'm planning to change the board of my Beat, before "kanoon ka lamba haath" gets me.
Attached Thumbnails
Kerala MVD announces crackdown on "artistic" number plates-i26957.jpg  

Old 28th August 2013, 15:58   #9
BHPian

The Chennai police have now started to stop vehicles for illegal number plates. I had to pay Rs.100 fine, since the numbers were not of the same size. I had always thought fancy designs and unclear number plates are illegal. I never knew size maters.
Old 28th August 2013, 16:26   #10
BHPian

Any restriction on how the number is printed? Stickers, Enamel hand paint, stencil/stamping?- will that come under 'artistic work' or not?
Now, thats shouldnt become the next reason to charge fine.
Old 28th August 2013, 20:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murajith View Post
Any restriction on how the number is printed? Stickers, Enamel hand paint, stencil/stamping?- will that come under 'artistic work' or not?
Now, thats shouldnt become the next reason to charge fine.
The best way is to search in the official website of the rto of your state. In the kerala rto official web site, samples of legal and illegal number plates are given. Therefore, it is easy.

I dont know whether state to state variation is there since the implementation of many rules are various phases in various states.
Old 20th November 2013, 11:29   #12
BHPian

My office car was flagged down by the MVD for fixing small size number plates in the front. Paid a fine and changed the number plates the same day itself.
Old 20th November 2013, 12:17   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ They start doing that once in a while. I remember some 3 instances in past 10 years when they were enforcing this with full force. After few days it is back to normal.
Mostly they stop vehicles if -
1.Some other writing, logos are present in number plate
2.Alphabets are mentioned in smaller font
3. Last year they had fined vehicles for sporting number plates made out of plastic
Old 20th November 2013, 13:13   #14
BHPian

When a person gets a new vehicle, should it not be compliant with the RTO rules? I dont think even today they fit high security number plates in Chennai. I recently took delivery of my classic 500, and the numbers were pasted, and this was from the Royal Enfield showroom itself!!

Prior to this, my AP registered car was stopped, and one of the issues he highlighted was the plastic number plates. I think there should be a clear drive where these rules are highlighted and options mentioned, and also the respective showrooms should also ensure they comply with the latest RTO rules.

Now with the above, everytime I cross Walayar, I would be in violation of the law.
Old 21st November 2013, 09:43   #15
BHPian

Once you get booked, you will have to replace the number boards, pay the fine and get the vehicle tested and certified by the same inspector who booked you. So its not about the fine but you have to waste a full day for it.

I've replaced the number boards on my Chevy, because I don't want to get stopped while traveling with my family or while rushing to office.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks