Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2013, 12:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Could someone clarify from where do you approach this freeway from Chembur while coming from Vashi.
You have take a left at the Shivaji statue near Panjrapole chowk just before RK studio. It ends at P Demello road a bit before the new VT entrance.

Last edited by GTO : 10th July 2013 at 17:41. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 23:50   #32
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Eastern Freeway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
You have take a left at the Shivaji statue near Panjrapole chowk just before RK studio. It ends at P Demello road a bit before the new VT entrance.
That junction can be tricky. We do have to take a left at the Shivaji statue in order to access the freeway but if you observe closely, there are two lefts. One very sharp one and then a regular left. 10 days ago I tried out the freeway for the first time and was waiting in a line behind a few cars trying to turn left. Then I noticed all those cars were jammed as they had turned into the very sharp left turn. They all started reversing out. That very sharp turn is apparently a dead end and does not lead to the freeway. The freeway access is from around a light/signal pole. In other words, turn left just after crossing a protruding signal pole and not before it.
carfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 12:26   #33
BHPian

Thanks Guys,
So as of now if you are coming from Eastern Express Highway then you need to take the Fine Arts Flyover at Amar Mahal Junction, then take left at Chembur Naka and then Right at Panjarpol

Even though you can make from VT to Panjarpole in 15-20 mins, crossing the above two hurdles will take 30 mins more.

It would be interesting how do they connect the Ghatkopar-Mankhurd link Road to this, Then it could save significant time for people coming from Eastern Express Highway e.g Mulund or Vikhroli Jogeshwari Link Road.

Cheers
MKP

Last edited by mkpiyengar : 8th July 2013 at 12:27. Reason: added text
Old 8th July 2013, 12:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Took the freeway from Chembur this morning at 10am, major traffic snarl at the Orange gate exit, the last km took 20 mins, defeating the whole purpose of the freeway, guess I'm gonna take it only during non peak hours from now.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 10:03   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
Let me try answer your second question first.
Coming from Chembur side, there is indeed a plan for exiting at Wadala Truck Terminus.
==========
Instead, take the exit on left at 'Point B' and then take a U-turn on right under the Easter Freeway and then you would be on a ramp that takes you back to Freeway towards SOBO.

I hope it helps.
The exit towards bhakti park is NOT point A. That is an entrance ramp, please do not take this way to exit to bhakti park from SOBO, it is very very dangerous!

There are cars behind you that can crash into you as to take the u -turn you have to slow right down on the freeway and there are cars entering the freeway from bhakti park which are just as likely to crash into you as they are not expecting you coming onto the entrance ramp!

Instead, just keep going straight to point B, take a u-turn under the flyover on the freeway, get back on the freeway and exit from the left of the freeway, there is a slightly kuccha ramp that takes you to an underpass on your right, go through the under-pass and you are in bhakti park.

I have seen most people take the exit ramp to bhakti park to get on to the freeway by taking a u-turn on the freeway and the entrance ramp to get off the freeway. It's a disaster waiting to happen, request everyone to take the u-turn under the flyover going towards Chembur and not on the freeway. It only takes 2-3 minutes more, i know as i stay in bhakti park and use the freeway everyday.
Old 9th July 2013, 10:55   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Dhaliwal View Post

The exit towards bhakti park is NOT point A. That is an entrance ramp, please do not take this way to exit to bhakti park from SOBO, it is very very dangerous!

There are cars behind you that can crash into you as to take the u -turn you have to slow right down on the freeway and there are cars entering the freeway from bhakti park which are just as likely to crash into you as they are not expecting you coming onto the entrance ramp!
I had posted this when the exit to Bhakti Park (from SOBO to Chembur direction) wasn't ready.

Now as you stated, the exit to be used is the one in your post.
Animesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 17:10   #37
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Eastern Freeway intermediate exits not operational

Not everyone needs to drive from Orange Gate, all the way to Panjrapol;
or from Panjrapol, all the way to to Orange Gate.

For Mysore Colony/RCF/Mahul, the freeway has:
  1. an entrance for cars headed for the NE-bound freeway direction. GPS:[19.0295775N, 72.8886397E]
  2. an exit for cars coming off the NE-bound freeway direction. GPS:[19.0278026N, 72.8852762E]
  3. an entrance for cars headed for the SW-bound freeway direction. GPS:[19.0286394N, 72.8879048E]
  4. but no exit for cars coming off the SW-bound freeway direction. GPS:[19.0304701N, 72.890587E]
Everyday, I need to join the freeway at Panjrapol and exit at Mysore Colony/RCF/Mahul exit.
However, that exit ramp(4.), is not yet commissioned.

Then what do people do?
Most people get off using the freeway entrance (3.).
As a first step the authorities posted a sign saying no exit using the freeway entrance. But people continued to do so, as the only next operational exit is at Orange Gate.
Then they posted two traffic policemen to ensure nobody uses the available Mysore Colony/RCF/Mahul freeway entrance as an exit.

The net result:
People who enter the Panjrapol entrance, headed for Mysore Colony/RCF, must drive 10 km SW, U turn around and drive back 10 more km NE, to get off using the NE-bound freeway exit (2.). It's still only 20 min. but what a wasted 20 km of driving and at least Rs. 100 more, of precious petrol.

What callousness on the part of MMRDA. What were they thinking?

Ram
Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 22:00   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
What callousness on the part of MMRDA. What were they thinking?

Ram
They don't usually think beyond Mantralaya. Haven't you noticed that every signboard points to Mantralaya? :-)

The problem with the Eastern Freeway us that they didn't take into account the fact that the city's business districts are scattered now, and not everyone works in Fort/Nariman Point anymore.

For someone living in Deonar and working in Lower Parel, the freeway is a no go. Similarly, I live in Bandra and work in Lower Parel and getting to the sea link in the evening is the biggest drag of my day since none of the roads leading from Lower Parel are capable of handling the 1000s of cars that now travel there every day.

The problem with Mumbai infrastructure, and I don't mean to rant, is that it's always playing catchup. There's never any co-ordination between anybody and it's always I me and myself for the builders, the municipality and the other failed entities like the MMRDA and the MSRDC.

Unless things change and Bombay truly stands up and demands better governance this daylight robbery will continue and the powers that be will have the last laugh. OK. Maybe that was a rant.
Old 11th July 2013, 22:22   #39
BHPian

Thanks JayPrashanth for the detailed information about Eastern Freeway. The figures and facts mentioned are amazing. Hats off to MMRDA, this project is extremely useful in saving time, specially for South Mumbai traffic.

I have been staying in Mumbai (Kurla & Thane) for around 25 years and did occasional trips to south mumbai. (sight-seeing or shopping purposes) Will be a boon to drive now!!
Old 15th July 2013, 15:37   #40
Senior - BHPian

Took the expressway yesterday from Chembur to Orange gate. Being a Sunday the traffic was thin at CST so it was smooth exiting from the freeway. However, I was disappointed by the road surface from the Chembur entry to the tunnel's. This stretch was pretty bouncy thanks to the undulations on the road. Post that stretch the surface improved.
Old 21st July 2013, 11:50   #41
BHPian

Mumbai people, I urge you to have a nighttime drive on the Eastern Freeway. It looks beautiful after dark, and IMO provides a better driving experience than the Sealink does.

Attaching some pics from yesterday night (they're a bit blurred due to the moving car and the rains, sorry):

Mumbai Eastern Freeway-20130720_202147.jpg

Mumbai Eastern Freeway-20130720_202331.jpg

Mumbai Eastern Freeway-20130720_202346.jpg

Mumbai Eastern Freeway-20130720_202546.jpg

Mumbai Eastern Freeway-20130720_202556.jpg

Mumbai Eastern Freeway-20130720_202842.jpg
Old 21st July 2013, 12:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

Decided to go to sobo for a Sunday brunch and I was at Kala ghoda from nerul palm beach in exactly 40 minutes. I am loving this road
This is lesser than what it takes me to reach Vikhroli to work every day.
Old 21st July 2013, 12:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

BEST has started 2 bus services on the freeway and is earning handsomely from it.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...-best-rs-vashi
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 20:36   #44
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Mumbai people, I urge you to have a nighttime drive on the Eastern Freeway.
In the first pic, what are those people doing inside the tunnel! Taking a walk?
I also read in todays newspaper that gang of thieves are distracting drivers & causing accidents so that the cars hit the raillings & they can eventually sell those parts!
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/21201661.cms

Last edited by PPS : 21st July 2013 at 20:37.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 17:16   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
In the first pic, what are those people doing inside the tunnel! Taking a walk?
Yes. Very common. Night or day -- and especially dangerous since it's fairly dark in the tunnel (at least it was when i went on the road).

The sad part is that there is a raised walkway with a railing right beside them (not made for pedestrians, but nevertheless..) and yet they choose to walk on the road!

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks