Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2013, 17:34   #46
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Eastern Freeway

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Mumbai people, I urge you to have a nighttime drive on the Eastern Freeway. It looks beautiful after dark, and IMO provides a better driving experience than the Sealink does.

this has become my favourite weekend routine, good music, good road, little traffic and no toll gates is awesome. This is better than sealink and palmbeach (if you are going to palmbeach road from mumbai) as we dont need to pay toll on this "free"way.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd July 2013 at 18:35. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 23:01   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Yes. Very common. Night or day -- and especially dangerous since it's fairly dark in the tunnel (at least it was when i went on the road).

The sad part is that there is a raised walkway with a railing right beside them (not made for pedestrians, but nevertheless..) and yet they choose to walk on the road!

cya
R
The tunnel was well lit, but it is still dangerous for people to walk inside. Especially because there is no shoulder. If two cars occupying both the lanes pass by, someone walking will be knocked down for sure.
Old 24th July 2013, 10:26   #48
BHPian

yesterday while returning from bombay on the freeway we were compulsorily made to exit at RCF and not allowed to go to chembur exit, around 9.30pm. What is the use of such measures i cannot understand. It defeats the whole purpose of the freeway.
Old 28th August 2013, 09:10   #49
Senior - BHPian

Eastern Freeway is no longer accident free. After the recent landslide, the latest is a pile up of cars on the Freeway resulting in a 6km long jam. One of the damaged car owners blamed the inappropriate road signs of maintenance being carried out which resulted in the pile up.

People taking the Eastern freeway please tread with caution.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/22107047.cms
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 00:14   #50
BHPian

Eastern freeway is not going to be toll free for long. Sunday sep 1st times of India Mumbai edition page 7 carries a story about the likelihood of making Eastern freeway a tolled road. I wonder where they would install the toll collection points and how they are going to manage the traffic pile up during peak hours near the collection points.
Drivethru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 00:27   #51
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivethru View Post
Eastern freeway is not going to be toll free for long.
I do not know why it was toll free in the first place! And how could the Government miss an opportunity like this! This was anyways going to happen! Recently i think there was a landslide as well near the tunnel.
Old 2nd September 2013, 02:14   #52
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone noticed how almost everyone takes a U turn at Wadala to go exit the Freeway in the Northbound lane. The same people also take a U turn to get onto the Freeway. This is a MAJOR accident waiting to happen. Makes you wonder if we're ready for high speed projects like this.

There are signs everywhere and the proper entry-exit points which involve a legal U turn barely a KM away under the RCF exit are barely ever used. Absolutely ridiculous!! I always make it a point to slow down when I come to that point.
Old 11th September 2013, 20:25   #53
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Went on the Eastern Freeway today for the first time - Chembur to Masjid in 15-20 minutes - and no toll. What the hell? Was I dreaming? While coming back tried a really long route - Crawford Market to Mulund via the Worli Bandra Sea Link - just to try out the Sea Link for the first time. Am really more happy about the Eastern Freeway - I have avoided going to anywhere in South Bombay for years now for 2 reasons
- Distance and traffic
- Parking problems

Now that one of the 2 problems is solved, I can atleast think of going to South Bombay 3-4 times a year.
Old 18th September 2013, 23:36   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Yes. Very common. Night or day -- and especially dangerous since it's fairly dark in the tunnel (at least it was when i went on the road).

The sad part is that there is a raised walkway with a railing right beside them (not made for pedestrians, but nevertheless..) and yet they choose to walk on the road!

cya
R
Rehaan, although the raised walkway does exist, the entry to this walkway is blocked by construction material, hence people walking on the road.
SoulGarage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 10:38   #55
BHPian

Good new guys...
Remaining portion of Eastern Freeway (Ghatkopar to Chembur) will be open from today for common public. With that, the freeway is well and truly complete and open for public now.

Quote:
Chief minister Prithviraj Chavan will inaugurate the arterial road's final 2.8km stretch from Panjarpol in Chembur to Ghatkopar Link Road on Monday afternoon. The ceremony will finally complete the 16.59km-long route from Orange Gate in south Mumbai to Ghatkopar, which took 7 years and Rs 1,463 crore to build.
Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/C...w/36635835.cms
Old 23rd June 2014, 15:53   #56
BHPian

It is all good till you reach Eastern Express Highway junction at chheda nagar.

The Signal to go towards ghatkopar is a huge bottleneck. Even people going towards Sion or Santacruz Chembur Link Road (SCLR) are stuck here after reaching here..

The road is pretty wide with at least 7 lanes of vehicles waiting, but the problem is for people who want to take free left, even they are stuck due to pathetic driving manners.

We can't solve the problems can we, we just keep shifting the goal posts

Cheers
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 10:15   #57
Senior - BHPian

First fatality on the Eastern Freeway.

A motorist driving a Swift Dzire lost control of the car and crashed into a oncoming Hyundai verna after jumping the divider. The Dzire owner lost his life while his co passenger suffered serious injuries. The Verna guy also suffered some minor injuries. Where exactly the accident occured on the Freeway isnt mentioned.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/38817169.cms
Old 23rd July 2014, 10:19   #58
Senior - BHPian

Another Vento accident in TOI today on the eastern FW.
No casualties and from the Pic the Airbags saved the driver.

Sorry no pics as am in office now. Vento banged into the divider!!
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:08   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Another Vento accident in TOI today on the eastern FW.
No casualties and from the Pic the Airbags saved the driver.

Sorry no pics as am in office now. Vento banged into the divider!!
It's a VW Jetta
Old 1st June 2016, 00:43   #60
BHPian

As a daily user, can you help share latest entries, exits?

North direction - is there an entry ramp near Sewree station?

I know there's entry at dockyard rd stn, and also Bhakti park. Thanks.
amitsingh08 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed