Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2013, 21:06   #31
BHPian

Re: When did you remove your 'L' board?

Never had one on actually. I went from the learning school's car to mine directly. Besides, road users hate to be behind a car that has an L on it and try to get ahead when they can.
Old 29th October 2013, 21:36   #32
BHPian

I had learnt driving at 14 and had been driving since then in the inner streets so when I got the learning license at the age of 18, I had become a good driver so I thought it to be unnecessary. Yup I know it's a violation and it was wrong on my part but who would like to put an L board when they have been driving since long w/o it right? :P
Old 29th October 2013, 23:08   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Never had one on actually. I went from the learning school's car to mine directly. Besides, road users hate to be behind a car that has an L on it and try to get ahead when they can.
I noticed that other drivers on the roads of India were very rude and I had several near-miss incidents, but as soon as I used some red tape on the rear number plate to form an 'L', they magically transformed into nicer people - no honking, no dangerous overtaking, no forcing their way ahead of me by trying to knock me off the road. I had it up for 2 days and then my cousin, who was visiting me at the time, felt it was an insult to his ego to drive a car with an 'L' on it so it came off on the third day. When I thought about it later, I realised that it may have been illegal to have an 'L' on the car when I had an actual license and not a learner's license, so I didn't bother to put it back up.
Old 16th October 2014, 12:26   #34
BHPian

I never had one on when I was learning. Mostly since by lessons were staggered thanks to the hostel - home routine during my engineering studies.
Bought a Wagon R about 8 years later I got my licence on which I fine tuned by skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I second this. Have an L board on our beater car for wifey to perfect her driving skills. Whenever I take this out, I feel certain drivers get distressed when driving behind a car with L. Mainly the indica cabs.
Old 16th October 2014, 12:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Never had one on any of the vehicles I was using. When I got my car DL, i did not even have a car. Everything was through a driving school, so only drove their cars around.

I however do have a L board on the scooter, as wifey was starting to learn then she let go and I have not removed them since.
Old 24th October 2014, 17:25   #36
BHPian

Never had an L board on my car. Learnt driving in the US. Then got a license and kept on practicing on rental cars. Then bought my first car - Corolla. By then, I was almost an expert driver. So didn't have to put one on the car.

When I came back to India - Santro was my first car - It took me about a couple of days to get used to driving in India (Never driven in India - even a motorcycle before that). Then I was OK. Didn't have to put an L board on my car.

Regards
Venu
Old 11th November 2014, 22:11   #37
BHPian

It always seemed to me that driving a L-board has some special privilege on Indian roads though at times, it might turn the other way.
Most of the drivers don't try to pressurize the L-boarders with some typical drving antics which in fact is correct as the new learners might easily get tensed and lose control which is dangerous to all parties.
And to avail this comfort, I kept my L-board for some convenient time until I attained the confidence; around 10-15 days / 75-100 km after I got the Licence !!
Even now, i stay away from L-boards as far as possible and maintain some safe distance !
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 15:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
It always seemed to me that driving a L-board has some special privilege on Indian roads though at times, it might turn the other way.
Most of the drivers don't try to pressurize the L-boarders with some typical drving antics which in fact is correct as the new learners might easily get tensed and lose control which is dangerous to all parties.
And to avail this comfort, I kept my L-board for some convenient time until I attained the confidence; around 10-15 days / 75-100 km after I got the Licence !!
Even now, i stay away from L-boards as far as possible and maintain some safe distance !
Very true indeed. My wife drives well now but she prefers keeping the "L". She witnesses many a times when drivers would unnecessarily speed up their vehicles forward in a tight spot of the road that she is already negotiating to cross, only to block both sides and expecting her to reverse backwards . In such scenarios all she does it knock on the “L” sign on her windshield and raises her hands. The big cars then have no other option but to scale their way back
abhi_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 16:18   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

In our 1st car we had L-Board for about couple of months when my elder brother was new to driving (I learnt driving a little ahead of him & I never had them in my cars)
Old 7th January 2015, 16:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

After more than one lakh kms of driving, I still have an L-board because some of my family members are learning to drive
Old 20th January 2015, 20:32   #41
BHPian

Peeled off the 'L' sign the very night I received my PDL. The ODO had recorded only ~100KM.s I suppose. (I had learnt driving on a friend's car, hence was not at all necessary, was just following RTO rules! )

Also, that very night I (with a grinning face) I had pasted the 'Live to Drive' sticker. Somehow I felt, the 'L' sticker would not go well with the LTD & T-BHP stickers!!

Last edited by nerd1200 : 20th January 2015 at 20:34.
Old 20th January 2015, 22:53   #42
BHPian

This is a fun topic!

I 'officially' learnt to drive on my dad's Premier Padmini. On the sly I was already driving my friend's Maruti Omni. I just did not let my mom know as she would have gone ballistic.

I removed the L plate the moment I sat in the car after the RTO office told me I had passed the test and I could collect my license in a few days time on producing the receipt (we had those red colored book type licenses then)

I always felt the 'L' to be a sign of inferiority. So I tried to talk my dad into letting me put a 'P' sign instead. Unfortunately he just ignored me so that was the end of it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks