Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2013, 14:57   #1
BHPian

Radio Frequency IDs for Medium / Heavy Vehicles

Source & Full Article

Quote:
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Come October, all newly-registered medium and heavy motor vehicles in the state will be tracked and monitored 24X7 by the motor vehicle department (MVD).

The move comes following a directive from the Union government that all such vehicles manufactured on or after April 8, 2013 shall be fitted with radio frequency identification devices (RFID).

RFID is a wireless non-contact use of radio-frequency electromagnetic fields to transfer data for the purposes of automatically identifying and tracking tags attached to objects. The tag has a magnetic chip which will save all information related to the vehicle.

Last edited by GTO : 17th July 2013 at 16:28. Reason: Please do NOT upload scans of copyrighted print material. Thank You
darklord is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 15:20   #2
BHPian

re: Radio Frequency IDs for Medium / Heavy Vehicles

Good move by government, hope it gets implemented successfully and widely. I've my share of doubt though, the practicality of implementation of such hi-tech projects looks a distant dream in our country. Let's hope for the best.
iSpoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 15:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Good move? Depends on what it is.

I suspect the media has got it wrong - if it is simply RFID tags for electronic toll collection , then I am all for it - it will alleviate jams at toll plazas. as we had discussed previously at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2506372 . btw - NHAI has not moved on their own specs here: http://www.nhai.org/draft%20specification.html - http://www.countercurrents.org/RFIDETCreport.pdf

However, it cannot be a 24x7 monitoring program - but given other noises by the government of India, I would not be surprised after recent news items - http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/0...0EV1WT20130620 . If so, I would resist it!

While i doubt the implementation wherewithal of the government, esp for something that seems retroactive - the key question is - is 24x7 vehicle monitoring not an INVASION of our privacy?

How is it any different from the government accessing my call records? Then our honorable ministers will justify this as a computer study of patterns.

NO!

EDIT: It can be opt-in for those who want it.

Last edited by phamilyman : 10th July 2013 at 15:54.
Old 10th July 2013, 16:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Iam not sure if this is an old article or it is a typo, in the news article it is mentioned that "all vehicles manufactured after April 08, 2013" should have RFID. As far as I know this is not implemented. Hence talking about implementation of this is useless.
Also, I guess the reported has included his own features to the tale, the article says "understand reason behind accident" , as far as I know this can not be done using RFID. I guess he is talking about the black box. This was reported in The Hindu around a year back Blackbox in motor vehicles and there is a thread on TBHP which discusses the same - Blackbox for cars
Old 10th July 2013, 17:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Also, I guess the reported has included his own features to the tale, the article says "understand reason behind accident" , as far as I know this can not be done using RFID. I guess he is talking about the black box. This was reported in The Hindu around a year back Blackbox in motor vehicles and there is a thread on TBHP which discusses the same - Blackbox for cars
The article is from ToI(let paper). I wouldn't be surprised if such 'novel' features are added to spice-up the news item, given the reputation this paper has.

Having an RFID tag fitted in a vehicle does not mean it can store everything inside. The tag has limited memory, and cannot be used to record all events. If the enforcement authority maintains a database, then it's easy for them to track the vehicle as and when it's intercepted for some reason.

I also smell another scam in making, as there has to be sufficient number of RFID reader devices available with the enforcing authorities, and awarding such contracts would involve a lot of money.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 16:08   #6
BHPian

Re: Radio Frequency IDs for Medium / Heavy Vehicles

I have seen new cars being affixed with RFID tags. One of the reviews by member "Geo" also has a pic of this tag on his Honda City. So, has the Government started implementation of their plans already for RFID tags on all vehicles?
Old 21st August 2014, 18:45   #7
BHPian

Now radio frequency cards to keep a tab on private buses

Quote:
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: In Kochi, the city administration and law enforcers might still be wracking their brains to keep a tight leash on private buses. However, the law enforcers in the capital have already initiated steps in this regard by mooting an automated punching system to rein in the buses.

Police are planning to track the private buses plying in the city by installing radio frequency identification (RFID) cards on buses. Keltron engineers have already come up with a proposal for this project.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/40480007.cms

Most Viewed