Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2006, 01:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
Estremely impressive.... I had a 1996 Maruthi that "Could" do that at one puint... No longer..:o(
Thlanks. kd100... if u had it, it "could" ve gone like it used to go...
Old 4th June 2006, 01:11   #17
BHPian

You have the AC switched on when those pictures were taken? Or was it blower only?
Old 4th June 2006, 01:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

It was only blower, AC is not there.
Old 4th June 2006, 10:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund
Ok jkdas you either have excellent vision or you already know whats written on that pen!!!

What's written on the pen anyway???
blind at this age?

I read it as 'Extraordinary Car; Close to Home' !!!

And guys, we do have to remember that there's a thing called speedo err.

And if I remember right, shibup's M800 5gear with freeflow could do more than 80 on second gear.
Old 4th June 2006, 15:25   #20
rks
BANNED

I wonder what the dimensions of the upgraded tyres/rims were, as compared to the stock sizes -- this will tell us about possible speedo error due to upgrade. In addition there will already be speedo error to the tune of about 10 kmph at those speeds (140-150 kph). So overall the car's speed may be close to the top speed of a Maruti 800. Maybe slightly higher, due to downward slope and possible wind assistance.
Regards, rks
Old 4th June 2006, 17:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sankar,

well good pics..try this with another car which does a genuine 140..I am sure this is a speedo error..

Sorry mate but i had the same old 800 [1984]..which did 120++ until i figured that it was not true..it was ego shatterred..when i realised that..

That car gave an amazing mileage of 20 KPL on the Chennai - Bangalore run..
Old 4th June 2006, 18:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry mate but i had the same old 800 [1984]..which did 120++ until i figured that it was not true..it was ego shatterred..when i realised that..
So very true. Speedo reading, is the last thing you should go by. Yeah ofcourse, it does give you the kicks (until you figure out the error).

That reminds me, an uncle of mine (in his Ikon 1.6) was following my car (Vtec) on a long distance drive. When v stopped for tea, he came upto me and told me i was going too fast, as he'd seen 160 on his speedo just trying to keep up with me. All i remember was, i never crossed 140. But i never told him that. Hehe

Shan2nu
Old 4th June 2006, 19:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
Thlanks. kd100... if u had it, it "could" ve gone like it used to go...
Cheeky... Damn cheeky... If that was a concious effort - Take the prize!

To clarify I still HAVE the car - It was done up to handle like crazy and had an engine that had most of my friends thinking I had plonked an esteems engine into it!... That car USED to max out the speedo almost at will... more than one driver in Bangy will vouch for that!...

except no one has been driving it much ever since I upgraded to an Accent CRDi three years back.. .hence not in the best state of tune.. Therefore The "doubt" if it could do that anymore.

This is one of the restoration projects that I have in mind... and before you get cheeky about that too.. yes I have more than one restoration project in the pipeline!!

Last edited by kb100 : 4th June 2006 at 19:18.
Old 4th June 2006, 21:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Speedo error, yes all the speedo have error built into them, i don't go by that. But here how many of you guys have normally used a radar gun or a digital speedo and posted the results (leave hardcore racer types). Everybody has been quoting their speedo readouts only, and so did i.

Mine doesn't give amazing mileage, i said i averaged 17kmpl. If crosswinds can be counted as wind assistance then of course yeah it did help.

And the tires being 165/60R12 the error is 1.01%. Before that i had 155 section goodyear tires which had a higher profile and it went to 140 on the meter on gundulpet highway while coming towards banglore and with passenger. So this is not a lonely incident. Dint have a camera at that time so dint take picture.

And speedo errors aint new to me, i used to have a ported RX135 5speed which used to go beyond 140 on the meter and the max speed it did on the gun was 140 and 145 on digital speedo. It still is maintained as the fastest street RX at rddreams.com When u guys start putting up radargun speeds i'll consider it.

And my 800 has only 60000km on it's odo which i know is genuine.

No offence to kb100. but if u like being cheeky, i don't mind. My car was not done up, it's stock except for a few carbmods & airfilter mod. If it shows 125+ on the gun i'd be happy, which it will.

No disrespect to other members. Cheers.
Crank.
Old 4th June 2006, 21:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Everybody has been quoting their speedo readouts only, and so did i.
As long as you don't truly believe your car did what it did, It's fine. Nothing wrong in quoting speedo readouts. Whats important is that you understand the facts (which i'm sure you do).

In a way, speedo error is a good thing......as it gives the driver the satisfaction of having achieved a certain speed, while keeping the actual speed lower and thus making it less dangerous.

Shan2nu
Old 4th June 2006, 21:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Chill Sankar... I gave you a compliment originally... I was just getting a bit nostalgic about my car in my original post thats all... But you have to admit your rejoinder to that was decidedly "cheeky".. hence my reply...

So if you meant no offence none taken!

ONLY as a matter of interest - My engine was and is all stock.. Got the steering stiffened - to increase effort - hence better high speed manners - thats the only"modification" -if it can be called that - on the car.

And do lets not get into the My bike/car is the fastest bit! You will find this forum discourages this and encourages everyone to drive responsibily and to stay within the safety envelope of the car's original design when travelling - especially with passengers..!
Old 4th June 2006, 21:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Yes people do get carried away sometimes with the arguments and all. Yes the feeling u get when the car goes faster than u think it will is priceless. Actually i was planning to take a Peugeot 309 after selling this car, now i don't think i want to do that. I'm keeping her.

kb100, I tightened the steering damper, and it did improve the highspeed handling, not as twitchy as before. Yes it does take an effort to turn the steering at parking speeds.

I did go at that speeds but was not being reckless, did only when the roads were good, as i dint want to reach tvm (or anywhere else) in a record time.

cheers. crank.
Old 4th June 2006, 21:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Good... So thats settled

Next time if travelling from Blr to Tvm try going Salem -Madurai - Shenkottai - Quilon - Tvm ... or Madurai - Nagercoil - Tvm..

Much Much Much Much faster... and immensly more peaceful drive!...
Old 4th June 2006, 22:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yes would try out that route, this time we had a stop over at guruvayur so had to go via palghat.
Old 4th June 2006, 22:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Okey checkout this car today during the meet. Was surprised that a M800 could go that way. He kept up with me at arnd 130kmph...but only thing i was scared about was him rear-ending me while i brake a bit hard

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks