Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2013, 19:09   #61
BHPian

Re: Why I love driving in India!

1. Do you love driving in India? IF YES, then continue,
2. What do you love the most about driving in this country?

Have a quite time to your self while driving

3. What has driving here, taught you?

Restrain , self control , play god :When ever I see the biker doing stunts I like to believe that they trust me with their life as they expect me to break to save them repeatedly. Who else would give that kind of control over themselfs (even if they do it unknowingly ) This thought actually helps me a lot .

4. Bikers and off road enthusiasts. Please do tell us, what is unique to Indian driving conditions. I am not into biking and off roading.

5. Feel free to describe some your best memories while driving here. I don't want to hear your travels (that's already covered in the travelogue section), just the good times.

I had actually hit cycle riksha ( coming from wrong way and my sight was blocked by a truck) . It had a girl who later apologised when she understood that it was an accident and I did not had any way of avoiding it.

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 31st July 2013 at 19:13.
Kool_Kid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 19:18   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

I do love driving, whether in India or anywhere else. But the simple fact is I drive as much as I do simply because there are not enough public transport options.

Our cities are getting more congested and less disciplined by the day. While I still enjoy driving on highways and to scenic locations (e.g. while I am on vacation) I confess it is getting increasingly difficult to pretend I "enjoy" driving in urban centres, mostly at crawl speeds.

I appreciate the life lessons that driving here has taught me as much as the next person, though!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 13:21   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

increasingly difficult to pretend I "enjoy" driving in urban centres, mostly at crawl speeds.
We all live to drive, but the ones who drive to work are the most affected lot. I would never enjoy driving if i do it on day to day basis on the same road again and again. Believe me Hinjewadi is still much better than driving on JVLR/ SV road/ Link road in mumbai in peak hours.

Whatever we wish ( of things becoming better in India as far as disciplined driving is concerned ), its not going to happen soon. So as of now enjoy the extra skills that we all require to survive on our roads.

One of them this season is to remember the potholes on your daily road.( So that you can avoid them )

Last edited by silverado : 8th August 2013 at 13:25.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 14:41   #64
BHPian

City - Bangalore

I drive to work every day - BTM layout to ITPL.
The worst bunch to deal whilst driving are fellow IT professionals on two-wheelers. They care a foot for others.

Adding to it are the potholes and traffic snarls.
Old 8th August 2013, 20:43   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
[i]
I had actually hit cycle riksha ( coming from wrong way and my sight was blocked by a truck) . It had a girl who later apologised when she understood that it was an accident and I did not had any way of avoiding it.
Wasn't this the incident
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...tml#post803441

All these guys had a nice time pulling your leg on this one, btw, finally kuch hua ya nahin
dgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 19:04   #66
Senior - BHPian

This is a great, also hilarious, account on traffic situation in India.
http://www.india.jeroendorrestein.co...i_traffic.html
rrsteer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 04:59   #67
BHPian

Superb thread, Simple_car. Your insight and wit set you apart, as does your wisdom. I'm half expecting you to start talking up the 'Less is More' theory! I've waited a while before commenting since I've not yet driven on Indian roads - but they always look more than interesting when seen on television or other media. I plan to drive overland from Britain, when my young children have grown a little.

I share your love of motoring and driving, it really is a passion which in the West, at least, is largely vanished for many reasons - not least, that it is no longer perceived as a privilege but a chore. To think that Mankind for all eternity, until a few decades ago, could move around at 30kmph briefly if he ran quickly, 50kmph on a horse (again for a limited period) and that most travel was done at walking pace. Then, all of sudden - within two generations, we were able to pour petrol into a tank, open a door, start an engine with bits of metal whizzing up and down inside, engage a gear, press a pedal then set off at whatever speed you fancied. I still marvel at this ability when driving, to the extent I can almost hear my ancestors whispering in my ear, "you lucky man!". Then I remember that all things are relative and that after an hour at 200kmph, it doesn't seem fast anymore. Your brain adjusts. A fast horse must have been just as thrilling?

I take great delight in the quality of whatever machine I am using and wonder what made the engineers choose a given design for production. Quality can take many forms - one of my old Mercedes' qualities is that of inexpense. I enjoy watching super-proud people in cars which cost as much as buying a starving village's food for a few years, seeing the pleasure on their faces - even though they are travelling no faster and barely more comfortably than me. Social status is a costly business! Some become maddened if you dare overtake them in a twenty five year old car, whether it is an old Mercedes or something designed in the 1940s for French peasants. They may even risk life and limb trying to re-overtake - which is when a wise man steers well clear and gives them the satisfaction their investment in recycled steel needs. It is the same with sailing boats, only more so. I once overtook a man in a very shiny new yacht, perhaps £60,000 worth, in an old wooden sailing boat with cotton sails. His expression was utterly priceless. On the road it isn't just driving skills... your earning skills should mark you out also!

Cornering is an art - and one which you rarely perfect, but can improve on massively from the start of your driving career. It gives me huge pleasure to take a corner just right, or string together a series of bends at a brisk speed without over-stressing the tyres, simply by choosing the right speed, the right line, the right amount of throttle in the right places. Driving a winding road with the least fuss in the least time is a great pleasure! It is how you really find out about your car - and how to choose an even better one.

Simple_car, I think your thoughts are really a recipe for life as well as driving. Appreciate what is good, don't dwell on the less good, allow people their own approach and enjoy your 'drive' without spoiling things for others. Smile and others smile back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Noisy surface - constant noise can result in driver fatigue.

This an interesting and though provoking thread - Thanks !

The comment about constant (usually low frequency) noise is very pertinent, a recent Swedish report (mentioned in "Teknikens Värld" found that this was a major cause of tiredness and accidents. Which relates to my thread on what causes fatigue while on a long journey (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...g-journey.html).

I'll reply to the comments on European roads' levels of concentration and driver ability in the thread of mine linked above - it's inline with what is being discussed there, and I've OT'd enough on Simple_car's thread.
FlatOut is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 18:34   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOut View Post
Superb thread, Simple_car. Your insight and wit set you apart, as does your wisdom. I'm half expecting you to start talking up the 'Less is More' theory! I've waited a while before commenting since I've not yet driven on Indian roads - but they always look more than interesting when seen on television or other media. I plan to drive overland from Britain, when my young children have grown a little...
Dear FlatOut sir,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

I have been a firm believer of the 'less is more' theory since years now. You'll see that reflected in all aspects of my life, be it clothes / shoes / cars / style of working etc. In fact, my handle is a very poor reflection to this belief.

That said, as I have already mentioned in my 1st post, the rants on this forum about the Indian driving conditions are fully justified. I face such situations daily. But, somehow, I love driving and cars too much. Hence, I myself have stopped driving daily. I am fortunate in the sense that I have easy access to the public transport here in Bombay. But, others may not be so fortunate and for them, dealing with other drivers daily in our scenario can definitely tax one's mental health. It is for good reason that certain MNC's mandate the use of driver and cabs for their employees when they are here in India. Your energy can be utilized better somewhere else.

I was just watching a video documenting the lives of 3 classic car owners in New York, where car ownership is downright expensive. I could totally relate myself to the teen who travels every weekend for 40-50 miles just to drive his car. I used to do the same.

I am going to start another thread on the social ideology of the motor car where I will pen down my thoughts. We can all discuss our views on that thread. Just give me some more time so that I can articulate my thoughts.

Driving here has be experienced. I look forward to the pleasure of your company (whenever you come here). As of now, all I can say is 1st just get used to driving here in Bombay. Then proceed to other parts. Bombay's traffic is far better disciplined and overall road conditions will give you a good glimpse of what you can expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihari View Post
Well I for one would like to honestly confess that, if not every time, atleast some times, I was the 'idiot' all the above T-Bhpians have been referring to.

The above solution is being adopted by me for the last few years and surprisingly it WORKS for me. I am not advising this to anybody but just thought of sharing.

What I want to re-iterate is that, the transformation part is true for majority of us and not to get transformed is a training / practice that has to be done everyday, constantly and it is an evergoing process.

- Sai
Dear Vihari sir,

I apologize for missing your post (I am not sure why I missed it, since it was long and your display pic is pretty unique too )

Most of us (who didn't have the privilege of good driver training, me included) have been 'idiots' at some point of our lives. In our scenario, I believe, so long as you learn, I will be happy.

We all have our own unique ways to deal with such problems (yours being to try and relate the 'morons' to people familiar to you). Whatever works best for you, is well, the best. Thanks a lot for sharing. That was the intention of the thread.

If history is to be believed, things are going to get much worse before they start getting better. I am already seeing this here in Bombay. Can't comment on the rest of the country, since I don't live at a particular place long enough to be able to comment.

Here's wishing you a peaceful, safe and most importantly, a HAPPY motoring experience in India.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 19:20   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
This is a great, also hilarious, account on traffic situation in India.
http://www.india.jeroendorrestein.co...i_traffic.html
+ He is a Team-BHPian. I enjoy reading his posts
Old 15th August 2013, 20:29   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
I have been a firm believer of the 'less is more' theory since years now. You'll see that reflected in all aspects of my life, be it clothes / shoes / cars / style of working etc. In fact, my handle is a very poor reflection to this belief.
Thank you for the confirmation of what I thought!

Quote:
Bombay's traffic is far better disciplined and overall road conditions will give you a good glimpse of what you can expect.
That said you can safely say that Hyderabad is on the other side of the coin.

Quote:
I am not sure why I missed it, since it was long and your display pic is pretty unique too.
Simple, if you read my introduction post, it will be clear.

Your Ideology is not reflected in your 'Avatar'. Fortunately, you can change it ( I think so?!?).

My Ideology does not 'properly' reflect in my handle and hence the 'avatar'.

Quote:
That was the intention of the thread.
..and I thought I went out of context and spoiled your thread and requested mods to delete it.

Any ways, you have a Big thinking head on a young shoulder! Thanks for your thread(s)!

- Sai

Last edited by Vihari : 15th August 2013 at 20:38.
Vihari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 04:28   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I have been a firm believer of the 'less is more' theory since years now. You'll see that reflected in all aspects of my life, be it clothes / shoes / cars / style of working etc.

But, somehow, I love driving and cars too much. Hence, I myself have stopped driving daily.

I am going to start another thread on the social ideology of the motor car where I will pen down my thoughts. We can all discuss our views on that thread. Just give me some more time so that I can articulate my thoughts.

Thanks,
Simple_car
When 'less is more' works with motor cars, the feeling is something else, that you are beating the system and you are just plain happier. For me, nothing represents this more extremely than the little 2cv which owed more to 1930s aircraft design philosophy than that of the motor car.

Your love is so great that you have to stop to prevent damage to this love - I like it.

Look forwards to your next thread. Have you read LJKSetright's 'Drive On!' book? I think you would devour it. ISBN 1-86207-698-7
FlatOut is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 22:36   #72
BHPian

Time to revive this long dormant thread. I was wondering on what to post here that would be in some way relevant to this thread. I think Mr. Devdutt sums up my thoughts rather well.

I am having trouble penning down my thoughts in my yet to be released thread on the social impact and ideology of the motor car. Till then... Cheerio's

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 29th March 2014, 13:58   #73
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this thread. Driving is definitely a pleasure but then if you mentioned India it becomes a test of endurance and anticipation. The human mind is a strange thing cause it seeks justice when wronged and compassion when at fault. This rule is majorly exemplified in our driving conditions on road. Everyone else is stupid or jobless but that one moron breaking the signal has a all important task or is smarter than rest of us rule following citizens.
Dieseldunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 09:57   #74

Nice article. and considering that almost all the articles on Indian driving conditions end up highlighting the problems its nice to have a different viewpoint for a change.

Even I love driving in India. We may not be having the best roads or the best cars or best driver training courses but we Indians surely know how to drive and to control the multi horsepower machines (considering the conditions in which we drive and the limits to which we push our vehicles) (I am not defending The Indian driving negatives but just trying to get some positives from it)

Yes we are lacking in terms of driving etiquettes or mannerisms but in terms of Vehicle control we may occupy one of the top spots in this world, you will understand what I mean if you have seen an average Indian trucker navigating his trailer truck on some steep corners of our ghats on a single lane road, or any general person driving a geared motorbike in bumper to bumper city traffic continuously half-clutching the clutch, or the adrenaline boosting overtaking manoeuvres that we commonly have on our single lane highways.

Driving in India is stressful, challenging, erratic and even dangerous but the high that you get after coming home from a long drive through the too dynamic conditions that are out there and that too in time is quite unparalleled and unmatched elsewhere in the other parts of our world
Par_neon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 14:33   #75
BHPian

What i love about driving in India is that how unknown people help you to reverse or maneuver in a congested road.
I was driving uphill in Manali when a foreigner came to my help and said in broken hindi
"Bhaiji yahan se lo"
Nats is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks