Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2018, 09:48   #136
BHPian

Re: Why I don't use Public Transport

Curious! Is it possible for most of us to avoid public transport - At this stage of my life, I don't own a private jet, neither a private yacht! I have had to travel in both so there is no possible way for me to avoid the "public transport."

Within B'lore, I have so far used the bus only for airport commute when I'm travelling alone. Use of OLA/Uber has reduced since I don't find them reliable and clean enough. We do however use them for group lunches. On the aspect of hygiene, I have also seen people digging around their noses and wiping them on the seat in front!

Regular bus commute would be too much of a hassle seeing that they are much too overcrowded to the point of spilling-out!

I have used and do use the metro/subway in the US (NY, NJ, Philly, and Chicago area) and to some extent in Delhi and Kolkata.

On a regular basis, it's most certainly either a private vehicle or a rented one that I use - more for time and convenience than any thing else.
Old 2nd February 2019, 11:24   #137
Senior - BHPian

A nice detailed Article.

Compulsion to Choice: How Can Public Transport in India Be Transformed?

Quote:
Are public transport systems in India good enough to persuade personal motor vehicle users to use them? If not, what can be done to drive this shift?

Mental stress, coupled with health and safety hazards, has become an everyday reality for urban dwellers. The tension of driving in severe congestion, breathing polluted air, and negotiating the increasing risk of road accidents has taken a toll on their well being.

In the face of these problems, public policies around the world are emphasising a shift from the use of personal motor vehicles to the use of public transport. India’s National Urban Transport Policy of 2006, China’s State Council Office Directive 64 of December 2012, South Africa’s Public Transport Strategy, 2007, and Colombia’s National Urban Transport Program 2003, are some examples of public policies and programmes that encourage investment in public transport rather than in road widening. The rationale is that, on a per person basis, public transport occupies less road space and consumes less fuel compared to personal motor vehicles, thereby emitting a lesser pollutant
Full Article.
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 13:30   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
A BMTC bus has toppled on a flyover in Bangalore today morning. Around 13 people have been injured.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...-flyover-99076
This news in Kannada tells that the driver wanted to avoid students with bus passes. He took a different road and met this fate.

Link: https://kannada.oneindia.com/news/be...te-163399.html

This mentality of BMTC avoiding commuters is not an exception. This affects the availability of transport at the time needed by the public and hence strengthens the poor perception.

Most Viewed