Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2013, 16:11   #16
BHPian

Re: Hit and Run by a Meru Cab. How do I get compensation from them?

So here is what happened.

I posted it in Meru facebook page and they replied asking for my number. I spoke to them and they said that the car is contracted and not owned by them, but they would provide me with the driver details, which they did.

In the meantime within 5 minutes of speaking to Meru, the driver calls up and starts saying arrogantly it was my fault, I ask him to come to police station.

Meru calls me and says that the driver told them that a lady was driving the car, at a speed bump the car stopped (got switched off) and rolled back and hit is car, while in reality I was driving the car, and he hit me, and obviously it is an automatic so no questions of getting switched off or rolling back as such.

We reach police station, he narrates his version of story in Kannada, and I tell what happened. Inspector looks at the car, it was obvious that the damage caused cannot be by rolling back but by hitting. He keeps saying that the car stopped suddenly, the inspector tells that regardless it is his duty to maintain distance. He accepts.

Police inspector asks both of us to write complaints and that the cars will be seized till inspection, or settle. I was ok with investigation but he offers to settle. I asked him to pay the amount insurance would not pay (Rs. 1k), he agreed to pay by Thursday. Police inspector said if he does not pay then I could come and lodge a complaint.

I would wait till Thursday, but I think he would pay. I had a great experience with Bangalore Police and Meru cab. I did not speak a single Kannada word, and the matter was settled to my satisfaction. Would keep you posted.

Last edited by sumannandy : 26th August 2013 at 16:12.
sumannandy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 23:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Good you followed up with Meru Cabs & Traffic Police, thanks to FB for the convenience of posting such incidents on their respective pages & getting prompt attention...
Also the snap with cab's Reg no proved very handy.
Old 18th January 2014, 19:40   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
So here is what happened....Police inspector said if he does not pay then I could come and lodge a complaint.

I would wait till Thursday, but I think he would pay. I had a great experience with Bangalore Police and Meru cab. I did not speak a single Kannada word, and the matter was settled to my satisfaction. Would keep you posted.
I know it's close to 6 months. Just thought I would check on the update.
Old 19th January 2014, 07:30   #19
BHPian

The cab driver paid for the damages. Although it required followup.

I had asked him to pay 1000, which is approximately the amount the insurance did not pay.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks