Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2013, 09:14   #1
BHPian

Ajay Devgan, Sun Film and the Mumbai Police. Ridiculous!

Came across this news on TOI last week

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/e...w/21976700.cms

I still cannot fathom what Ajay did to earn a letter of appreciation from the Mumbai police?? Wasn't he supposed to peel the tints few months back?? Wasn't he aware of the rule existing from quite sometime now?

Finally, what about you and me?? who, with all respect to the law, promptly removed the tints? Would we be appreciated by someone??
vinair is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 09:48   #2
BHPian

re: Ajay Devgan, Sun Film and the Mumbai Police. Ridiculous!

In this banana republic we the mango people ( aam janata) are expected to comply he got an appreciation because he decided become a "Mango Man" ( Aam Admi) and did not throw his star tantrums and the cops are very happy 'cause he would always have choosen not to comply and just made a few phone calls 'cause that is the reward for being a good boy and not making the mamu's look like fools
Old 26th August 2013, 10:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

How can we expect the police to appreciate each and every one of us who have removed the tints? We are supposed to be proud in complying with the rules; if the pride is missing, we will always try thinking against the laws.

There has happened two good events. One is the act by Ajay and next the act by the police. And hence, I'd like to take this incident positively, as an appreciation for all who have removed the tints. Won't it be good if can we lessen the unnecessary frustration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
In a way this is an indirect acknowledgement of the fact that the law is not equal. Appalling!
Why don't we acknowledge that because the law was equal, he was stopped for verification, asked the driver for papers?

Last edited by thoma : 26th August 2013 at 10:48.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 10:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

In a way this is an indirect acknowledgement of the fact that the law is not equal. Appalling!
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 10:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Who said we are equal before the law? How many celebrities in Bollywood are chronic tax defaulters? How many God men have done the most unholy things and have escaped the law? How many of our politicians have been known to have stashed away millions in Swiss banks?
We don't care, do we? We are a corrupt society and Khemkas and others like him standing up to the corrupt elite find that there is no one to take up their case. As long as my interests are not affected, who cares a damn?
premc44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 11:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
Who said we are equal before the law? How many celebrities in Bollywood are chronic tax defaulters? How many God men have done the most unholy things and have escaped the law? How many of our politicians have been known to have stashed away millions in Swiss banks?
We don't care, do we? We are a corrupt society and Khemkas and others like him standing up to the corrupt elite find that there is no one to take up their case. As long as my interests are not affected, who cares a damn?
And your point being? Everyone knows the law isn't equal but it isn't indirectly stated in a national daily.
Old 26th August 2013, 11:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think it's times of India showering appreciation. As usual trying to stay away form real issues of the nation.
vivekiny2k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 11:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I think it's times of India showering appreciation. As usual trying to stay away form real issues of the nation.
I am curious how did they got hold of this information? Mumbai Police? Devgan PR?
This is exactly how media & celebs play with our psyche that helps them in getting a demi-god status which obviously means getting more hits and ofcourse product endorsements. All for following the law!
Old 26th August 2013, 11:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well when old plump actors can get honorary black belts, when college dropouts can get honorary degrees why not? just sad actually, well we have ourselves to blame for glorifying actors as larger than life people who are to be worshiped :P
deathwalkr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 13:53   #10
Team-BHP Support

I actually don’t see anything wrong with the note of appreciation for Mr. Devgn.
Maybe for the police it was something out-of-the-routine that a celebrity actually complied to the law, instead of trying to act arrogant due to his/her star-status and connections.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 14:00   #11
BHPian

Re: Ajay Devgan, Sun Film and the Mumbai Police. Ridiculous!

I know certain individuals who have been stopped by police and being told to remove the tints. The officers didn't fine the him and took his word that he is going to get the tints removed by the nearest accessories. Instead the individual got back home parked his car and started using the other car next day onwards so that when the film removal drive is over he can take out the car with the films again. This is what an aam admi does when given the opportunity. So what Mr. Devgan did was indeed responsible and no harm in cops praising him.

Last edited by Switch : 26th August 2013 at 14:01.
Switch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 14:37   #12
BHPian

As raised above, I really think this is the Devgan PR at work! With a release just around the corner, this surely rings a bell, doesn't it?

-Shivang Gandotra
Old 26th August 2013, 15:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

I would appreciate this incident not because a popular star was involved but a law abiding citizen promptly acted upon when told his mistake. In that way AD showed his humility in accepting his mistake and rectifying it instead of pulling some strings in the power corridor. How many of us would have done that, we would have surely used all methods to prolong it unless we are reprimanded a second time. A little appreciation goes a long way to inspire others to follow.

I would be more than happy if other Bollywood stars would emulate waht Ajay D did instead of waiting for the cops to stop them and issue a warning.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 15:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
I know certain individuals who have been stopped by police and being told to remove the tints. The officers didn't fine the him and took his word that he is going to get the tints removed by the nearest accessories. Instead the individual got back home parked his car and started using the other car next day onwards so that when the film removal drive is over he can take out the car with the films again. This is what an aam admi does when given the opportunity. So what Mr. Devgan did was indeed responsible and no harm in cops praising him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur
I would appreciate this incident not because a popular star was involved but a law abiding citizen promptly acted upon when told his mistake. In that way AD showed his humility in accepting his mistake and rectifying it instead of pulling some strings in the power corridor. How many of us would have done that, we would have surely used all methods to prolong it unless we are reprimanded a second time. A little appreciation goes a long way to inspire others to follow.

I would be more than happy if other Bollywood stars would emulate waht Ajay D did instead of waiting for the cops to stop them and issue a warning.
Agree he was prompt enough to remove the tints. But that is only after he was pulled up right? Also, may be this is the only vehicle on which he removed the tints, what about other cars he owns?? As a responsible citizen, would he had removed tints from other cars also? We never know.

What I found really appalling was not what the actor did, but how the Mumbai police gave the whole situation a very nice rosy picture and finally the news papers picking it up and helping the actor get that extra mileage!!
vinair is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 01:10   #15
djs
BHPian

Well, i think Police appreciated Ajay as it came as a surprise for them. Poor police fellas are generally used to get the bashing from influential people in these sort of scenarios. Every other day, we hear stories of Politicians showing their muscle at Toll plazas, slapping cops and what not. Turn the story other way around and you get "Ajay D stopped by Cops, Cops misbehaved, beat up his driver, heated argument, and finally poor traffic cop suspended and it becomes a national news with Arnoub Gowswami shouting on top of his voice on Times now". Your Call.

Most Viewed