Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2017, 11:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
The new license is not a SmartCard. It is a laminated colour printout slightly larger than credit card.
Went through your thread. Understand you did this in 2014. Does Kerala MVD still issue just a laminated card and not a smart card ? I actually am in Singapore and went to convert my India license to a SG license ( this is allowed here ). But the only glitch was that they mentioned that my India license has to be a smart card.
Old 5th October 2017, 12:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Went through your thread. Understand you did this in 2014. Does Kerala MVD still issue just a laminated card and not a smart card ? I actually am in Singapore and went to convert my India license to a SG license ( this is allowed here ). But the only glitch was that they mentioned that my India license has to be a smart card.
AFAIK, it is still not implemented, due to legal issues. Here are some news about the launch and subsequent stay by the HC

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle8269998.ece

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/natio...igh-court.html
Old 31st January 2018, 19:44   #18
BHPian

Looks like Kerala Govt has found its way to implement the license card.

http://www.manoramaonline.com/news/l...o-plastic.html
(In Malayalam)

The news says that the new plastic card incorporates QR Code, Hot stamped hologram, guilloche pattern, etc.

Surprisingly there is no mention of "smart card", so it looks like the new card will not have a chip? (and thereby avoiding the litigation with the company that bagged the order earlier ?).

Actually the chip is not really required in the current scenario, as long as the card cannot be duplicated. Wonder if any state that has the smart card is actively utilizing the chip for any purpose.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 20:47   #19
BHPian

Actually the very first Driving Licence for LMV I got in October 2004 from my Licensing Authority - RTO Trivandrum - KL-01 was a plastic card. I have seen such a card with very few people.

This card was changed to the paper laminated card in 2008 when I got my Two Wheeler and Heavy Commercial Licence.

Subsequently each time the Commercial License was renewed (which has to be done once in 3 years), the paper laminated card was given.

At the time of taking the Commercial Licence in 2004, the Driving School people were doubtful about the genuineness of the license as they had never seen a plastic card.

I had to convince them and show the hologram on it.

Last edited by Ramon : 31st January 2018 at 20:49.
Ramon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 12:56   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
Actually the very first Driving Licence for LMV I got in October 2004 from my Licensing Authority - RTO Trivandrum - KL-01 was a plastic card. I have seen such a card with very few people.
Yes, the first license I got (somewhere around 2000 I guess) was also a card one. However, that license was only for 4 wheeler, when I added 'motorbike with gear' to that they took back the card license and issued a book one to include two different dates (one for car & another for bike).

The book started peeling off soon, hence I keep it inside a polythene cover. Still it has torn off and came off in to two pieces.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 10:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
The book started peeling off soon, hence I keep it inside a polythene cover. Still it has torn off and came off in to two pieces.
My license was issued in 2002 from the Palakkad RTO in a book form, even though I keep it inside a polythene cover, it has started to wear out. I did search in the MVD website and I am able to view my details online.

Is there any way of converting it to a card license online, without physically visiting the RTO? If you know how to get this done, please share it would be really helpful.
Old 7th February 2018, 13:05   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishnuk View Post
Is there any way of converting it to a card license online, without physically visiting the RTO? If you know how to get this done, please share it would be really helpful.
Sorry, don't know if its possible.

My case is different since I got card initially for LMV. However, when 2 wheeler license was required to be added, it cannot be done on card since both LMV and 2 wheeler had two different dates.

So they took back the card and issued book with dates written against each category.

Also, since my license is only valid for another 2 or 3 years I am thinking of changing it only then.
Old 7th February 2018, 13:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishnuk View Post
Not possible without visiting the RTO. I did as part of renewal, narrated here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3557032 There is a option to convert to card and the overall process is similar. I suggest you to wait till the new card becomes the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
My license was issued in Ernakulam RTO, Kerala. I live in Bangalore and the normal procedure to renew is to submit for the transfer and renewal in Bangalore RTO. Since my license expires in Nov 2014, I did not have much time to get it transferred to Bangalore. So I decided to get it done from Ernakulam itself while I was on vacation in Kerala. My license had an old address so I had to change it to the permanent address (in Kochi, where I had address proof). Here is the procedure for the license renewal (and address change) at Kerala RTO. Note that the renewal can be done only within 1 month of expiry.

Requirements:
1. Pay the fees online, download the application and print it. You can also visit Akshaya e-centers at various places to do the same. You also have the option to pay fees by cash at the counter in RTO office.
2. Paste passport size photos on all the forms (On Main application form, Eye test form, Medical test form)
3. Get the eye test done from an ophthalmologist.
4. Get a medical certificate from a Govt doctor.
5. If you need address change, Get the address proof attested from Gazetted officer/Notary.
6. Original driving license.
7. Self addressed envelope with ₹40 stamp. (For normal process opting for postal dispatch)

Armed with all the documents I went to the RTO office in Civil Station, Kakkanad. Reached there by 9:30 and had to wait till 10:00AM to get in. Went to the RTO office in the second floor and went to the enquiry counter to find out the procedure.

If you plan to do address change, you need to get an 'order' from a Motor Vehicle Inspector(MVI). You need to write an application on a white paper for address change and the inspector will verify the attested document and sign off in the application. This need to be submitted along with the documents at the counter. The MVIs are available only during 11AM-1PM, so plan accordingly.

If you already have a card type license, you can get the license renewed within one hour by visiting the fast track counter with all the documents. For Fast Track, you need to go to the same RTO office where your original license was issued from.

I had a book type license, so had to do normal process. You need to submit a self-addressed envelope for them to dispatch the new license. There is an option to collect the new license by hand also. Went to counter 5 (fee counter) to submit the application. There were a lot of people queued up and many were agents, having tens of bulk applications. I requested them to allow me to submit ahead of queue and they agreed (I guess this is normal, since I saw many people doing it) Submitted the application and I was asked to go to the 'Inward' counter, where I got the acknowledgement receipt. You need to mention about whether the license is collected by hand or send by post. The receipt number can be used to track the file status online ("RTO File Status" link here. There is a service guarantee (RIGHT TO SERVICE ACT 2012, details available here ) of 15 working days for license renewal.

I paid fee of ₹250 for address change and ₹300 for renewal. Apart from it I paid ₹150 for the Eye test and ₹100 to the Notary.
I am hoping that once all the RTOs transition to the new card issuance, things might get better streamlined and possibly an online option.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 21:39   #24
BANNED

Any idea whether the new driving licence are of the smart card type or is it still the laminated one's? Would like to get my book type one converted if it's a smart card one.
Old 9th February 2020, 13:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Any idea whether the new driving licence are of the smart card type or is it still the laminated one's? Would like to get my book type one converted if it's a smart card one.
Going by the trend, it doesn't look like its smart card. I am saying this because from January 1, the RC Book have been made to look like the laminated licenses instead of proper smart card. So I assume they have kept the license in the same way itself.
Xaos636 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 11:40   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Kerala Driving License - Smartcard

Here's how I replaced my current driving license to a smart card.

This was officially announced last month (I guess or atleast that's when I heard it was now available.) and I immediately decided to get this done. We may have the latest "AI Camera's", interceptors and what not but the driving license was still ancient. My first license was a low quality book and the renewed license wasn't better either which was like a railway platform ticket with a worst possible laminate. Few of the local shops here laminated this to PVC model for 50 bucks.

Anyways, coming back to the topic. Here's how it can be done:

1) Visit "https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/" and click on the following link as shown in the image:

Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013-1.png

2) On the new page, select "Kerala" from the drop-down menu.

3) Select the highlighted section as shown in the image:

Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013-2.png

4) Click "Continue"

5) Enter your driving license number, date of birth after which the driving license details will be extracted.

6) Below this page, you will need to enter the following details:

Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013-3.png

7) It will then show the preview of the license after which you will need to confirm it.

8) It will then show the list of services available. In this case, select the highlighted service:

Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013-4.png

9) It will then ask for your declaration (Please note you will need to fill the "Self Declaration Form" as well which will open as a pop-up window):

Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013-5.png

10) After submitting the declaration, it will then generate the application slip. Here click on the "next" button:

Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013-6.png

11) You will be taken to the application status page where you will need to enter the application number.

12) It will show the application status and stages to be completed by the applicant:

Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013-7.png

13) Click "Proceed" to upload the documents.

14) It will then populate the applicant info and then you will need to click "ok".

15) Upload the driving license and click "Next".
Note - Attach the front and back as a single image. Also, I tried to upload the image from Digilocker but was rejected since it didn't have my signature. So recommend you to take the photo of the original license and upload it.

16) You will then need to upload your signature and photo.
Note - For mine, I had used the same photo as the renewed license. For my wife's license, I tried with a different photo. Just to check if they will accept a different photo. Will update the thread in case they reject it.

Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013-8.png

17) Once the photo and signature files are saved, click "Next".

18) The next stage would be the "Fee Payment".

Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013-9.png

19) Once the payment is done, you will receive the payment slip. You can then track the progress after clicking "Application Status" on the homepage.

Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013-10.png

It took almost a month for me to receive it. The rejection of digilocker image added to the delay but heard there's a lot of applications in queue. Also, there's a rumour that the price will be hiked from 245 to 1300 soon.

Here's how the smart card looks like:

Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013-naveen-smart-license-front.jpg

Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013-naveen-smart-license-back.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 14:39   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Step 16 - Upload Photo and Signature seems to be dependent on certain criterions.

For me its coming as "Exempted"
Old 24th May 2023, 15:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Step 16 - Upload Photo and Signature seems to be dependent on certain criterions.

Same here. When I submitted a request for address change in 2021, I had uploaded the photo and signature. I am guessing if they already have a recent photo/signature, we don't need to submit it again when applying for a replacement.

Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013-screenshot-20230524-3.08.02-pm.png

Thanks Naveen for the post, motivated me to go ahead and apply for it.
Old 25th May 2023, 11:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
Same here. When I submitted a request for address change in 2021, I had uploaded the photo and signature. I am guessing if they already have a recent photo/signature, we don't need to submit it again when applying for a replacement.
Photo and Signature upload will be exempted if there were a recent successful application that took care of these updates. That particular application details also will get automatically tagged with this request.
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 12:23   #30
BHPian

I have received my updated DL by speed post yesterday . It took around 2 weeks time from the date of submission of application. But is it really a smart card. Does it have details like biometrics stored in a chip? Seems like it is a plastic card with a hologram and qr code.

Most Viewed