Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2013, 11:13   #1
BHPian

Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013

Quote:
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala Motor Vehicles department (MVD) authorities have directed the holders of driving licence and vehicle registration certificate (RC) in book or paper format to migrate to computerized format before September 30.

The decision was taken by the authorities to bring all vehicles and license holders in the state under the MVDs online surveillance system soon. As of now,the authorities are unable to get real-time information on those who have licences and registration certificates in book or paper format. Once the licences and RCs are computerized, it would save lot of time and energy of the authorities while ensuring speedy action against traffic law offenders.
Source: Times of India
darklord is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 12:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Let me rephrase it. The MVD circular is directed at those license-holders and vehicle owners who haven't updated their license and vehicle details in the MVD's electronic records. The existing licenses and RCs need not be converted if they are already updated in the MVD database. AFAIK, almost all vehicle RCs and licenses issued after 2000 are already updated.

The more important point mentioned in the press release is that payments for 19 services (submitting fees for a learner's license, applying for a duplicate license, etc) have been made available online, and from September 1st onwards, payments for these services will not be accepted in the RTOs and SRTOs concerned, instead they will be available only through Akshaya centres and through the MVD website directly.

Here's the link to the ADGP & Transport Commissioner's Press note: http://www.keralamvd.gov.in/images/m...r-26.08.13.pdf

EDIT:
I wish the MVD replaces the RC and Licenses with Smartcards, and also link them with the UID

Last edited by silversteed : 27th August 2013 at 12:52.
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 11:09   #3
vdi
BHPian

Re: Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013

How about license taken from outside Kerala? Mine is a UP license and its a book

Rajesh.
Old 28th August 2013, 21:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Reading through the PDF, I guess this cannot be done online, right? Moreover, my license is dated Sept 2000 and yet I cannot find it in the online records.

OT:

Does anybody have experience with online e-applications on the Kerala MVD site? I had gone for a hypothecation cancellation and paid the amount online. Now, I'm left with a printout of Form TR5(c) and the hypothecation cancellation letter from the bank. I guess I've to submit these two to the RTO.

Anybody had been through this process?

Last edited by thoma : 28th August 2013 at 21:46.
Old 29th August 2013, 14:05   #5
BHPian

Related reads:

Officials unsure whether online service will click

How to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi View Post
How about license taken from outside Kerala? Mine is a UP license and its a book

Rajesh.
Quote:
CHANGING LICENCES SECURED FROM OTHER STATES

Those who are holding driving licences issued from other states should submit it to RT office. They should also submit the driving licence particulars secured from the RT office from where the licence was issued. This is to prove that the original licence is still valid and no major cases are registered against the licence holder

Last edited by darklord : 29th August 2013 at 14:06.
Old 29th August 2013, 15:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

Any idea how this works for those outside the country? Is there an option to renew/update online? My license is the old book (issued in 1996), with details in Malayalam.
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
...Does anybody have experience with online e-applications on the Kerala MVD site? I had gone for a hypothecation cancellation and paid the amount online. Now, I'm left with a printout of Form TR5(c) and the hypothecation cancellation letter from the bank. I guess I've to submit these two to the RTO.

Anybody had been through this process?
The following documents need to be submitted:

- The e-receipt from online payment for application
- Hypothecation cancellation letter from bank
- Attested copy of ID Proof
- Original Registration Certificate
- Original Insurance
- Original Pollution (PUC) Certificate
- Two self addressed envelopes - one with postage of Rs. 30 attached and the other with postage of Rs. 40

This is the requirement at Trivandrum RTO.

Also, the applications would be accepted only between 10:30 AM and 1:00 PM.
RobC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
My license is the old book (issued in 1996), with details in Malayalam.
I guess we can't do anything about it online, if our license details itself is not even entered in their database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post
The following documents need to be submitted:
Good info. Thanks for sharing. Hope you had a recent experience. Actually, the required documents too need to be put up on the MVD site. I did go to the RTO (Kottayam) with the e-receipt, original RC book and hypothecation letter, but had to return back as I had not taken the insurance. So a second time, I took these things:
  • The e-recipt print out
  • RC book in original
  • Insurance in original
  • Hypothecation cancellation letter from bank (this contains 2 items - one the letter itself and the other an RTO form in duplicate, which is signed by the bank)
  • Postal cover for returning the RC and insurance by post; 40/- stamp pasted

Applications taken only between 10.30 and 1.00? Phew, I went in just before the clock struck 1! Why are such information not shared on their site? And why did they need 2 postal covers? One for sending back the RC to us and the next for sending an acknowledgement to the bank I guess?
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
....Good info. Thanks for sharing. Hope you had a recent experience....
Yes, just submitted on the 27th. No idea how long it is gonna take to receive the new RC Card though.
Old 4th May 2017, 09:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Kerala:Conversion of License Booklet to Smartcard DL

I have the old DL Booklet issued by Thrissur RTO and I want to convert it into the Smartcard DL.The booklet is almost in tatters now and I am having a tough time keeping it together!.Would anyone with a Kerala DL know what is the procedure to convert this at the Thrissur RTO.This time round since I have a couple of weeks in Thrissur,decided to get this done.The license has a validity of approx 4years more.Do the agents do this kind of work?Advisable?
Old 4th May 2017, 15:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kerala:Conversion of License Booklet to Smartcard DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I have the old DL Booklet issued by Thrissur RTO and I want to convert it into the Smartcard DL.The booklet is almost in tatters now and I am having a tough time keeping it together!.Would anyone with a Kerala DL know what is the procedure to convert this at the Thrissur RTO.This time round since I have a couple of weeks in Thrissur,decided to get this done.The license has a validity of approx 4years more.Do the agents do this kind of work?Advisable?
I would assume that this is like obtaining a Duplicate License. I had made the payment online and went to the RTO with the filled-in form and payment receipt. Things were pretty straight forward for me at KL49 J-RTO. No agents. YMMV
Old 4th May 2017, 16:19   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Any idea how this works for those outside the country? Is there an option to renew/update online? My license is the old book (issued in 1996), with details in Malayalam.
My DL renewal is coming this year and afaik it cannot be done online or without being present physically because eyesight test certificate is a requirement (if done as per rules). 5 years after expiry the procedure is the same as that of applying for a new licence.
Old 4th May 2017, 22:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I would assume that this is like obtaining a Duplicate License. I had made the payment online and went to the RTO with the filled-in form and payment receipt. Things were pretty straight forward for me at KL49 J-RTO. No agents. YMMV
Thanks.My license was issued in 2001,and when I put in the handwritten license number,it doesn't show up my license.Looks like I will have to do a couple of rounds of the RTO.How long did it take for your duplicate license to arrive?When do you submit the old.license at the time of taking delivery of the new one?
Old 5th October 2017, 11:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

bumping this thread to check on what is the process to convert paper licenses to the smart card. Mine is a 1999 MOTORCYCLE license issued by the Mattacherry RTO which was later endorsed in 2004 for LMV ( car ). Surprisingly the paper has held up quite well. Wondering if there is anyway to get this converted to smart card without visiting the RTO
Old 5th October 2017, 11:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
bumping this thread to check on what is the process to convert paper licenses to the smart card. Mine is a 1999 MOTORCYCLE license issued by the Mattacherry RTO which was later endorsed in 2004 for LMV ( car ). Surprisingly the paper has held up quite well. Wondering if there is anyway to get this converted to smart card without visiting the RTO
I have posted my experience here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3557032

The new license is not a SmartCard. It is a laminated colour printout slightly larger than credit card.

You may check with any RTO agents who could do it for you.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed