Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2013, 13:41   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: In Heavy traffic: Slowest lane goes fastest and fastest lane goes slowest in Indi

I think my observations are very mixed one. In namma bengaluru, where the buses stop in the middle of the road, we don't take left lane and right are not worth taking as you wouldn't know when the pile up for right turn due to yield on green is building! of course many roads here do not have any lanes, but this is mostly where the are lanes

IMHO, one generally sticks to the right lane most of the times. Regardless of the speed and turns, bangalore seems to be keeping it to the right because of obstructions, extended shops and parkings on the left lane.

I personally don't think I have any preference as the lane in which I am always moves slower and I just don't feel comfortable jumping lanes.
Old 5th September 2013, 15:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Heavy Traffic: Left lane goes fastest, Right lane moves slowest

Having driven in Delhi for the last 10+ years I can tell you that lane driving isn't practiced and people find solace in the right lane for a lot of reasons.
1. There is a lot of road encroachment which means that anyone driving on the left would continue moving towards the middle/right lane and then going back to the left lane everytime they would see an obstruction (stall/rickshaw/illegally parked vehicles). No one would prefer this.
2. People on mobile phones would do 20-30 kmph on the right most lane as they have to exercise least effort when driving on this side of the road, reason #1.
3. People taking right on the next turn would also be on the right.
4. Due to the median, the tendency of other drivers trying to push you farther away is less else you'd be on the median. On the left lane, other drivers would push you off the road just because there is space where you can take your car, tarmac or no tarmac.
5. Chauffeur driven luxury cars are always on the right side (reason #1) and they are usually the slowest. I wonder why the rich people are never in any hurry
Old 5th September 2013, 16:21   #18
BHPian

Re: Heavy Traffic: Left lane goes fastest, Right lane moves slowest

Take the case of Mumbai-Pune expressway . If it is night then all three lanes are occupied by the big trailers going at snail's pace. If it is daytime then right most lane is usually occupied by cabs going at constant speed of 90. It is really frustrating sometimes and also dangerous to overtake them from left hand side. But you are left with no options in such cases.

Mod Note : Thread topic discussed sufficiently and is thus closed.

Last edited by GTO : 9th September 2013 at 19:28. Reason: Thread closure note
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks