Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2013, 12:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Magic roundabout in England

Came across an article in Popular mechanics about 18 Strangest Roadways. Many of these are already known.

I was surprised to see the 6th one - The magic roundabout. How do someone new to the area finds the right route? How do GPS navigation handles it? Any fellow bhpian travelled through this one already?

Mods : Searched for this one across the forum, but couldnt find it. Please move/merge if not in the right place. There is a reference to magic roundabout here, but no discussions.

Magic roundabout in England-roadways06xln.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 26th October 2013 at 15:11. Reason: Updating with image
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 08:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

The secret is to treat each mini roundabout as a separate entity. As you approach, the GPS will tell you to take the first, second or third exit. As you know discipline is tight, the car approaching on the right gets priority. Purpose of this roundabout is to allow two directions of traffic around this roundabout. Lorries and caravaners find it a bit tight. I tried it nearly 20years ago and found it okay.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 10:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Magic roundabout in England

I have driven through this Swindon roundabout around 5 years back in my Renault Laguna. As ajmat has already mentioned, its actually very intuitive and accompanied by excellent signage. The trick is to rigorously follow 'normal' UK traffic rules regarding roundabouts. If so, there is no issue at all even for drivers completely new to the area.

Of course, you do need to be clear WHERE you want to go :-) but that is a festering issue with all roundabouts.

Issue arises for non-UK drivers which are actually plenty on the roads. Even back then, there were a sizeable number of LHD EU lorries/cars on the road and the situation must be worse now.

Now, if a non-UK lorry driver gets confused, there can be a major issue :-)
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 12:17   #4
Zed
BHPian

Re: Magic roundabout in England

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Issue arises for non-UK drivers which are actually plenty on the roads. Even back then, there were a sizeable number of LHD EU lorries/cars on the road and the situation must be worse now.

Now, if a non-UK lorry driver gets confused, there can be a major issue :-)

In the event that a motorist gets confused and does something silly other motors would quickly recognize that a driver has got it wrong and slow down or stop completely to help him/her. No honking to express displeasure or anger. No rolling down the window and swearing (very rarely have I witnessed this). In other words a majority of motorist will not do anything to make a bad situation worse.

Which, sadly, is excatly what happens in India.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks