Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2006, 12:07   #16
BHPian

That was a terrible crash. Humyum, I think you were lucky to have not followed the 800 into the turn. From your previous interaction with the ST bus driver, I do not rate you as a very cool and composed person. So, I consider you extremely lucky to have been able to control your urge for speed. I know speed can be addictive and its easy to get into race like situations on the highway, but the need for caution really can not be overstated, particularly when going into blind turns on seemingly deserted roads.
I myself drive an 800. Its an extremely unsafe car to drive fast. And I rarely take it over 100. It has precious little driver / passenger protection. The Zen too is only slightly better. So with five + on board, 110 is too fast. It takes ages to stop and with such a light car, you never know what shape the car and you will be in after a rapid stop.
So Humyum, and all you speed worshippers, please remember the images of the 800 as you drive on the highway next time.
Old 19th June 2006, 13:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Yes i agree with u that i am not a very cool guy sometimes but i guess that comes with the age sometimes as i am just 20 and most of the time my dad is with me when we go for outstation trips so have to drive slow and drive an 800.
The ST driver really got my blood boiling when he tried to hammer my car off the road and that too twice.Nor was i honking at him,nor was i driving in any erratic manner.just for cheap thrills he does this.

About me not overtaking on the blind turn behind the 800 guy although i drive fast i always drive safe.Never take any chances even if i am alone.Have driven on many trips to bangalore ,gujrat ,rajastan in our 800 so am experienced and so dont take chances with racing on steets.
Old 19th June 2006, 13:41   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Drivers can be stupid, but we need to think of our and sometimes their safety too. Reminds me of a truck in adjacent lane, and I am trying to pass him. We're both fine, in our lanes, no contests here. Along comes a 800 trying to squeeze diagonally between the truck and my two-tonner. I hold down my horn, hold my ground, and continue. A few minutes later, the 800 does the exact same thing with another truck and me .. wonder what was he trying to prove .. The strange, stupid thing was that there was enough time for him to pass me even before I reached the 2nd truck. And the 800 guy seemed to wait to try repeat his manoeuvre.

Also, Humyun, a question for you - was the ST driver trying to ask you Not to overtake him at that moment ? At the speeds you would be going, and the focus being on the overtaking, with lots of fun happening in the car, it would have been easy to mistake his signalling.
Old 19th June 2006, 14:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
Out i go with the wheel spanner in my head while my cousins sit in the car.Took the spanner intially just as a safety.But he talks with all mother sister bad words and loose my cool and give him a punch and break his headlight and out then come my cousins and counductor too starts with his mother sister bad words things and he too gets a punch.He notes down our car number and threatens me with police complaint at which all of us laugh.
Its not a good idea to confront physically a driver of govt on duty. . As u have broken his lights. Could be some trouble for you in store if he has noted ur car number.

Sorry to hear of the people in the car.

btw humyum be more careful next time and take all assumptions (mother of all f ups) before u making overtake moves of the big 6 wheeled red objects. they are notorious and they have 3 deaths pardon in ST language.
Old 19th June 2006, 20:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Condor=No dude he was asking me to overtake him.He gave me the signal to let me overtake as bus fellows usually do and then as soon as i was in the overtaking move he suddenly comes on to the right with no bad roads on the left of the bus,nor any vehicle present and he did this at such a a brisk pase that i almost locked the wheels at that speed as there was no road on the right side.First time i gave him the benifit of doubt but the second time he did it but this time i was cautious of his move and braked well in advance and yeah the 2nd time too there was no reason for him to come on to the right side when i was overtaking.Now would this not make anyones blood boil guys?
Although i did not go to hammer him right from the moment i got down i just had the wheel spanner as a safety precaution and he was pitch drunk too i could smell the booze.I am a peaceful guy and would never involve myself in brawls but this time i just lost it when it was his fault and would have lead to a drastic accident and he was abusing me.Anways i learnt a lesson by the incident never to trust an ST guy again.
2fast4u=I dont think anything would happen regarding him complaining and stuff because he was hardly in his senses.
Old 20th June 2006, 01:45   #21
Awaiting Email Confirmation

This is where the respect for power comes in guys....its not about throttling its about knowing when to do it right.
Old 20th June 2006, 02:46   #22
BHPian

That's a horrendous crash !!!
I wonder what happened to the victims.
BTW, what were the approx ages of the occupants & particularly the driver of the 800 ?
Old 20th June 2006, 11:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

All of them must be around 23 to 25 years old.The driver must be about 25 max.I dont know what happened to the victims but i dont think they can get away without any permament body damage.
Old 20th June 2006, 11:44   #24
Bob
BHPian

hi

hi humyum

that's horror man.

already boil my blood against careless driving & even that fragile maruti.

we all should try not to buy that c**p specially maruti 800,van.
safety point of view both model are not upto the mark.
sometime ago, we dont have options but now when we are able to get more safe vehicle, we should go for that.
i think we all indians are only care about average,insted of our priority should be safety of our family.

then again when one drive careless,
in head-on collission like this,any car not able to save lives.

BOB

Last edited by Bob : 20th June 2006 at 11:46.
Old 20th June 2006, 12:23   #25
Jay
BHPian

Thats a horrific accident.... whoa that car is a total mess, wonder how you guys pulled the victims out of the car !!!
Similar incident happened on our way to Shimla from delhi.... a newly married couple travelling at around 80-90kmph in their 800 that too in the ghats rammed straight into an oncoming Bus... nothing happened to them but the car was stuck between the bus and a Rock ( wonder how they got out of the car) and the Bride was totally shaken up by this incident... Totally the 800's fault.... Wonder why people take such riskd that too with their family inside... Mindless people ...
Old 20th June 2006, 13:39   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Although i did not go to hammer him right from the moment i got down i just had the wheel spanner as a safety precaution and he was pitch drunk too i could smell the booze.I am a peaceful guy and would never involve myself in brawls but this time i just lost it when it was his fault and would have lead to a drastic accident and he was abusing me.Anways i learnt a lesson by the incident never to trust an ST guy again.
2fast4u=I dont think anything would happen regarding him complaining and stuff because he was hardly in his senses.
man how could u let go off the driver in that case. It was ur duty as a citizen to call the Cops emergency line or atleast inform the next available police outpost as the passengers in the bus could have met with some tragic accident.
dont let go such maniacs.
Old 5th July 2006, 16:41   #27
BHPian

'Teen khoon maaf' for ST drivers ?!

Quote:
Although i pity the poor ST driver who is going to get into trouble big time for no fault of his as he would have never imagined a fool like the 800 driver comming at such breakneck speed hit him head on
I doubt if the ST driver will get into trouble as I heard from some people in Bangalore that these guys can go scot free till 3 accidents ( yes, even 3 fatal accidents ). I checked with a few other people and they said even they've heard something like this. Needless to say, I was aghast. But atleast that explains the rash driving by these bus drivers, even on narrow roads.

Can anyone confirm if ST follows such a leniant rule ?
Old 5th July 2006, 17:11   #28
BHPian

makes you sit back and think.

You were real lucky humyum. I had a similar experience on the way back from rishikesh 40 days ago where an oncoming 800 lost control after a bus overtook him and swerved in, he swung the wheel too sharp, lost control and hit a tree by the side of the road.

the condition of the car was similar to the pics you've clicked. Me and my friend were the closest on the scene and I had way too much blood / muck on my hands and clothes - it didnt strike me to reach for a camera then. so, no pics.

What i noticed -

1. the couple in the front weren't wearing their seatbelts - as a result they not only hit the dash and the front hard, they slipped forward.

2. the front seats had broken free from the housing bolts ( i could see the torn sheet metal) - this just caused the male driver to hit the steering wheel harder and his legs were jammed underneath. The female co-passenger had the glove compartment jammed on her legs.

3. all doors were jammed shut - they had to be physically wrenched out - which thanks to the large crowd gathered - was manageable.

4. bystanders - some help, not many willing to get their hands dirty , some were trying to make away with the purse etc ( sic, but then you always have vultures and hyenas about! had to post my friend just to crowd marshal and co-ordinate the rescue with lots of orders flying about!)

5. build quality - we all know the 800's limitations - accidents like these just bring them home That should be a warning to us to realise the limitations of various vehicles against frontal collisions.

6. driver training ? the gentleman driving was driving at a good clip - guess more than 80 km/h? he swerved too hard when the bus overtaking him cut in front of him , it was like slow motion that I saw his hands go all the way over both ways . He could have swerved into me. I dont knwo - would it have helped him if he had received some kind of formal training when he received his license - my guess - probably yes.

I know this is a long post. The pictures just brought back the incident to my mind, the front two passengers would have survived , I'm sure ( we stopped a passing ambulance - who was hesitant initially - had to be bullied by two cops who came along soon. ) , but their legs were shattered and I dont know what internal organ damage they suffered.

There was a young couple in the back with a 6~7 yera old girl. They got away with minor injuries - just a major shock.

btw, after reading yr post, i've put my sneakers in for a wash. the bloodstains were still on them.
Safe motoring brothers..... incident free. ....
Old 6th July 2006, 00:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u
man how could u let go off the driver in that case. It was ur duty as a citizen to call the Cops emergency line or atleast inform the next available police outpost as the passengers in the bus could have met with some tragic accident.
dont let go such maniacs.
Dude the punch would have brough them back in his senses.I though about reporting this to the highway police station which comes at regular intervals but then marathi manus=police guy+marathi manus=driver+conductor=lot of trouble for ROHAN and i was sure the police guy would make me wait for sometime till the bus comes there on the highway and he can catch him but the driver and conductor would tell the story as if i was at fault so that he can save his butt.
Old 8th July 2006, 18:39   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

humyum,

That was a bad accident alright! However, I'm pretty sure of the fact that that it was an M800 contributed to the end-results dramatically as compared to if it were, say a more modern car(with better safety features) like Alto, Santro etc.

I've always believed that all Maruti models below the Swift, which are more than 10 years old should be banned immediately. I mean, lets see a crash testing done for the following cars: M800, Omni, old Zen, Esteem and Wagon R - people will immediately stop buying these cars once they see the crash test results.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks