Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2013, 15:10   #16
BHPian

re: 4 people from Pune missing: UPDATE: RIP. Car and bodies found. :(

There is a sharp right turn on the approach of Neera Bridge about 20 KMs after Khed-Shivapur Toll on the Pune-Bangalore highway. The person driving may have lost control and went directly in the river instead of getting on the bridge.

I am just guessing about the situation as one body is recovered from the River.
Hurrycane12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 15:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
There is a sharp right turn on the approach of Neera Bridge about 20 KMs after Khed-Shivapur Toll on the Pune-Bangalore highway. The person driving may have lost control and went directly in the river instead of getting on the bridge.

I am just guessing about the situation as one body is recovered from the River.
Could be the case. But won't there be any tyre marks or atleast some sort of indications that the car might have slipped and gone offroad? If the car went into the river, it's very difficult to find it since the river is overflowing dangerously.
Old 6th November 2013, 15:23   #18
BHPian

Name:  nira_bridge.png
Views: 4675
Size:  389.9 KB

That's the Nira bridge. The turns doesn;t seem too sharp ... considering the time of travel, it is possible that the driver dozed off and the car plunged into the river. How come there was no sign of any accident? Wasn't there any crash barriers along the bridge?

R.I.P and condolences to family and friends.
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 15:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Could be the case. But won't there be any tyre marks or atleast some sort of indications that the car might have slipped and gone offroad? If the car went into the river, it's very difficult to find it since the river is overflowing dangerously.
You are right there could have been indications of tyre marks, not sure if they were then how it was missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Attachment 1162476

That's the Nira bridge. The turns doesn;t seem too sharp ... considering the time of travel, it is possible that the driver dozed off and the car plunged into the river. How come there was no sign of any accident? Wasn't there any crash barriers along the bridge?

R.I.P and condolences to family and friends.
If you zoom out and see its pretty sharp, there are barriers only on the bridge not before. My guess is they must have lost control before getting on the bridge, if it had happened on the bridge then there would have been signs of the accident.

Anyway we are just taking a long shot on what might have happened, lets wait for the actual investigation to unfold and tell us the truth.
Old 6th November 2013, 15:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

See this video.

The bridge for both the directions are separate with a gap in between, there is a guess that since a few plants are uprooted, the car may have gone off the road in the space between both the bridges directly into the river.

Also, the wheel cover is seen in that area (seen in the video)

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/new...941?h_also_see
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 16:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Also, the wheel cover is seen in that area (seen in the video)
The wheel cap doesn't look like it fell off from the car. The i20 in question seems to be a top of the line version which comes with alloys I guess.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 16:24   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
The wheel cap doesn't look like it fell off from the car. The i20 in question seems to be a top of the line version which comes with alloys I guess.
Good catch. If the i20 indeed is an Asta as is being reported, it would have alloys and not steel wheels.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 16:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
As there is discussion on the specific car model (and the car number is disclosed in the opening post), I shall take the liberty of posting the pic of the missing car.

Edit: Just finished watching the NDTV video. I feel the wheel cap in the video looks very similar to the one on the missing car!

Edit to Edit: As pointed out by a few, the car has stock alloy rims. So, the wheel cap at Nira bridge looks unrelated to the incident

Note to Mods: If you feel it's inappropriate, please feel free to delete the post
Attached Thumbnails
4 people from Pune missing: UPDATE: RIP. Car and bodies found. :(-missing-car.jpg  

Last edited by Gotham_City : 6th November 2013 at 16:55.
Gotham_City is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 16:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
As there is discussion on the specific car model (and the car number is disclosed in the opening post), I shall take the liberty of posting the pic of the missing car.

Edit: Just finished watching the NDTV video. I feel the wheel cap in the video looks very similar to the one on the missing car!
Well, Din't wanna post the pic of the car here taking into account the privacy issues involved.

Here's a pic of the wheel cap from the NDTV report:

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 3566
Size:  342.6 KB

I don't think they look any similar at all. Moreover the car in the pic has alloys if am not wrong.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 6th November 2013 at 16:47.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 16:59   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

How Sad.

Poor families. What a horrid thing to happen on Diwali weekend.

I think this will also serve to some extent to deter people from attempting these night drives, especially in our country on these horribly ill lit roads and hinterland.
Old 6th November 2013, 17:10   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Having done Pune-Bangalore at least 50 times over the past 4 years let me tell you that when driving towards Bangalore, the approach to this bridge is not steep in terms of the curvature of the road but what makes matters a bit dangerous is that the section before the bridge is inclined just at the curve all the way till the start of this bridge. So essentially, a first timer would approach this at increasing momentum than steady pace. The time needed to react and slow down is minimal if your speeds are high.

Secondly, this bridge has lots of joints (typical of any bridge) with very uneven surface at the joints and I have on many occasions seen cars which overtook me abruptly trying to brake or swerve into other lanes to avoid these uneven joints. There are many who stay exactly at the center of this bridge to pass the least beating to their cars.

Overall, at more than usual speeds, this is certainly not a simple curve as it looks from the maps.

It is sad to note the turn of events in this case and may the souls RIP!!
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 17:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

RIP to the departed souls. Very sad day for their families.
To imagine the river force is so strong, their car or bodies have not yet been recovered.
Old 6th November 2013, 17:46   #28
BHPian

Most rational explanation at this time would be the tragic case of drowning, the police should look for eye witnesses if there are any. Isn't Nira river off their route?
Old 6th November 2013, 17:54   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
Most rational explanation at this time would be the tragic case of drowning, the police should look for eye witnesses if there are any. Isn't Nira river off their route?
The bridge in question itself is a part of NH4 that leads to Bangalore/Pune depending on the direction of travel (2 separate bridges).
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 10:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Car in question was captured on CCTV camera at the toll plaza after which it went missing.
Car indeed has alloys and not wheel caps.

Pic : Indiatoday news
Attached Thumbnails
4 people from Pune missing: UPDATE: RIP. Car and bodies found. :(-tollplaza_660_110613050910.jpg  

Last edited by noopster : 7th November 2013 at 11:29. Reason: Corrected typo now= not
HammerHead is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks