Team-BHP - Traffline takes on Google Maps, provides real-time info on traffic jams
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Traffline takes on Google Maps, provides real-time info on traffic jams (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/144704-traffline-takes-google-maps-provides-real-time-info-traffic-jams.html)

Traffline takes on Google Maps, provides real-time info about traffic jams in India

Traffline takes on Google Maps, provides real-time info on traffic jams-traffline.jpg

Two Mumbai-based entrepreneurs have built a real-time traffic info service that helps urban commuters in Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore avoid the thing they hate the most -- traffic jams. With the launch of an update to their mobile app last month, an active Twitter presence, a helpline and support from city traffic cops, Traffline is taking on Google Maps Traffic head-on.

What is traffline?

Traffline is a digital traffic agent that allows commuters to check traffic conditions in their city at any time of the day. You can view a real-time traffic map with colour-coded lines indicating congestion, slow and fast moving traffic with details on jams, road accidents and best alternate routes available on their website and mobile app. They also have a helpline and Twitter presence for those who are not comfortable using a map interface.

How does Traffline work?

It gets its traffic data from various sources. The base information comes from moving probes - taxis, public transport vehicles and others – that have GPS installed in them.

Accident and event-related information is collected from people on the field and Traffline’s followers on Twitter who report information voluntarily.

The data is provided on a map of the area with colour coded lines, each of which represents a different traffic speed. Red shows the areas with high traffic congestion, pink stands for slow moving traffic, blue reflects moderate traffic speed and green shows the routes with smooth traffic conditions.

What gives Traffline an edge over Google is that they are working closely with the traffic police and citizens (especially on social media) to collect and provide data.

Source: DNA

Read Further: Digit

Thread moved to Street Experiences. Thanks for sharing!

This app sucks big time!

May be because I'm on 2G but it took more than 2 minutes to lock my position whereas google maps does it in like 10 seconds. Also, the refresh speed is absolutely unacceptable when driving, google maps is like butter.

I'll keep it on the phone to later on check the accuracy part though, lets see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fine69 (Post 3300560)
This app sucks big time!

May be because I'm on 2G but it took more than 2 minutes to lock my position whereas google maps does it in like 10 seconds. Also, the refresh speed is absolutely unacceptable when driving, google maps is like butter.

I'll keep it on the phone to later on check the accuracy part though, lets see.

Read different opinions about this, most of them positive.
I personally feel, by using 3G, you can avoid the lags.