Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2013, 12:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Quite sinister actually!

The bonnet opening mechanism isn't given INSIDE the car for fun sake! Anyone noticing this can easily punish him immediately! Simply cut 1 random wire inside and he'll actually have to call the mechanic! Then he'll see who gets the last laugh.....
Whatif someone's car actually has a problem. I didn't mean this in a viscous way. Team-bhp is a well known forum and with the technical ideas pouring in, we probably don't want people to know how they can fiddle with a car and spoil it, or endanger someone's life.

Maybe, if at all, DETACHING a battery cable / fuel line would do. If there really is something wrong, the mechanic would re-attach it, if not, he'd get the signal that someone didn't like what he did.
Old 28th November 2013, 13:02   #47
Team-BHP Support

Re: No Parking. No Problem. Just put your bonnet up!

Vandalism being suggested openly on this forum?

Why not do your civic duty and tell the person not to park there (if it happens in your presence, like it happened with the OP in this instance) or inform the nearest traffic cop (if not)? Why the urge to damage the innocent machine?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 13:03   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
Why these vandalistic thoughts? One low life got away with smarting the system and here are people bringing the pitchforks out. His luck will run out eventually, take solace in the fact and avoid such comments which are unbecoming of a BHPian.
I suppose you are right. But it's not vandalistic, like scratching a brand new car since it looks good. Just irritates me that people like him think they can get away with this and he would keep repeating it. He kept his bonnet up to indicate that something is wrong with his car, so let there indeed be something wrong with the car. Tit for tat I say. Anyway, that's just the furious part of me. And no, I would not want to do that if I really did have the chance. Tempting....but don't want to.
Old 28th November 2013, 14:03   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Vandalism being suggested openly on this forum?

Why not do your civic duty and tell the person not to park there (if it happens in your presence, like it happened with the OP in this instance) or inform the nearest traffic cop (if not)? Why the urge to damage the innocent machine?
I would agree with you that vandalism isn't the solution, and informing the traffic cop is.

However, I wouldn't really say that a responsible person like us should go and tell the car driver/owner not to park there. If someone has the audacity to break the traffic law, he may even have the criminal mind to assault us.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 14:14   #50

I'm a silent member on this forum for the last year. It took me two attempts to get membership. This is my first post. The fact that some of you'll here relish the idea of this inconsiderate Indica driver makes me wonder if Team-BHP's membership requirements are stringent enough?
ComSub is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 14:24   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I would agree with you that vandalism isn't the solution, and informing the traffic cop is.

However, I wouldn't really say that a responsible person like us should go and tell the car driver/owner not to park there. If someone has the audacity to break the traffic law, he may even have the criminal mind to assault us.
Agree with you that getting into a public argument in our country is not a very good idea most times, but standing-by thinking 'it's not affecting me' isn't good either. Even worse is to stand-by and actually admire the person's misguided ingenuity.

I used to tell people directly (still do it occasionally), but now stick to telling the traffic cop more often.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th November 2013 at 14:26.
Old 28th November 2013, 19:28   #52
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Ingenious but actually since the vehicle location is seen in the snap as also the number plate a traffic police guy who sees this thread or someone else posting the snap on the Mumbai Traffic complaints site after picking it up could still fine ensure that the guy gets fined.

Funny - yes.

Does he deserve to get away with this - not really.

Am not going to bother doing anything about it. but those who are really really against this can actually do something about given that the documentary proof does exist in the first post. - If someone does indeed do something about this. Do post that snap on the traffic police site and for my curiosity (and am sure of others on this thread) pls do quote my post and mention what you did on this thread.

PS: On a side note (Am no saint myself) (a couple of incidents that happened to me): I had once stopped on the side of the road very near a Traffic signal (A strict no parking zone) for about a five minutes through illegal - with the car running - waiting for my wife to pick up something from the spot. There were no available parking spots anywhere around. I was about 20' behind the signal but that day somehow was in a mood to break the law. While waiting I was thinking up an excuse to telling the traffic police guy when he would come or was just prepared to drive away after apologizing. I then noticed the vehicle parked about 10' ahead right at the signal light. It was a Cream coloured Scorpio - Disaster Management Stickered - Traffic Police vehicle fully loaded with people also waiting on the spot illegally. This brought a devilish smile to my face. Next I moved right behind the vehicle quite sure that any traffic police guy would have to explain the vehicle ahead of me to me before writing me a penalty slip or asking me to move. I next took a snap of that police vehicle (with the traffic signal pole and the number plate visible). (I think I did post that snap on TBHP about 4 years back but am not really sure.) A traffic guy did show up and I simply pointed to the vehicle ahead, but my wife just arrived then and I decided to move on rather than get into an argument. Still have that snap somewhere in my folders. Illegal on my part on a rare occasion but then that was maybe just to experience another flavour of life.

I have on another occasion clicked a snap of a traffic police vehicle (Sumo) with kids in the middle row and many plants in the back obviously on a personal errand for some big wig but definitely breaking the rules. This was a vehicle legitimately waiting at a traffic signal next to me.

Last edited by ACM : 28th November 2013 at 19:31.
Old 28th November 2013, 20:26   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSub View Post
I'm a silent member on this forum for the last year. It took me two attempts to get membership. This is my first post. The fact that some of you'll here relish the idea of this inconsiderate Indica driver makes me wonder if Team-BHP's membership requirements are stringent enough?
Hahaha. welcome to the club. I am an Indica owner myself and got my membership in May 2005 but been active only since a fortnight now. I believe the car you drive is not a factor that determines the membership requirements rather the zeal to be a part of the team so that the wheat is separated from the chaff and in the process some real contribution / sharing / learning happens rather than just a forum to pass the time and b***s**t. This is a wonderful place to make some great friends, learn and share and be a good driver on the road.

But I must say this is not the right thread to post an intro. There is an appropriate thread for doing so, this is to maintain the sanctity and focus of the thread.

Welcome once again. Hope you will have tons of good time here

Last edited by ashkamath : 28th November 2013 at 20:30.
Old 29th November 2013, 14:17   #54
BHPian

long back I had once used this trick - keeping the hood open. I was on the IIT Powai busy road, and my colleague wanted some ciggi purchased from across the road. I opened the hood in busy traffic and we got our stuff. Job done in 5 min and off we go !
Old 30th November 2013, 19:55   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy69 View Post
A guy I know drives a Swift. A few days back he was returning home from downtown Mumbai to Mira Road, a distance that usually takes two hours in peak traffic. On the way he was desperately in need to relieve himself. Traffic was crawling at snails pace on Western Express Highway and he was on the extreme right lane almost kissing the dividers.
At some point he could no longer hold himself back. Noticing a Sulabh Shauchalay on the left pavement,he stopped right there. Pullled the bonnet lever, started his hazard lights, shut the doors, locked the car and opened the bonnet and latched the bonnet open. All this while cars behind him kept honking like crazy ! Once the parking lights were on and blinking, everyone quietly shifted to the next lane, and passed him. This guy crossed the road, did the needful to relieve himself and came back to his car. Bonnet shut, he got in and drove away !!!!!
Even I have used the "Bonnet Up" ploy in such emergencies, but in Calcutta if one went away after lifting the bonnet and locking the car etc. the traffic police would call for a tow-away if the location was important enough !
Old 1st December 2013, 12:28   #56
BHPian

Somehow I hate such chaps who does this and thinks they are the brilliant lot. This type of attitude is something which does not allow our country to progress, ie trying to find where the loophole is rather than following law.
If he tries this somewhere near Shivajinagar in Bangalore, by the time he returns not just the battery, he may not even find the engine in place
shinuak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 13:21   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
In that case we could also argue it is funny how vehicles are driven up the wrong side in a traffic jam!
But it is!

I no longer get irritated when I see some numbskull going the wrong way in a traffic jam or on a one-way street. I find it incredibly funny. I'd love to point and laugh but I don't fancy getting a black eye so I will laugh silently and be on my way.

What I don't find funny are various suggestions hinting at vandalism. Seriously, what has the car done to deserve such cruelty? It does not have a mind of its own. It hasn't chosen to park itself in front of a mall. It hasn't chosen to fool people into thinking that it has broken down and cause inconvenience. It's the owner / driver who needs sand / sugar in his oil cap.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
But it is!
Suhaas, while I see your way of looking at things, it may not be seen the same way by those pulling off such stunts. Too much seeing in that sentence!

Our reactions are very subjective. Again like you, I would not vandalise the vehicle, but I would also not encourage such behaviour. I understand that it is not my job to improve all sorts of people or ensure that rules are followed.

However at the same time, it is essential that such people understand that all they are doing is adding nuisance value. It is not something to be appreciated, quite the contrary.

Gee, didnt I say we can keep arguing?!
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 09:28   #59
Senior - BHPian

So here's a guy who's literally committing a crime and the responses he gets are smiles, lol's and 'thumbs-up'... He's basically applauded for his 'Street-smart' trick! People want to particularly protect his 'poor' car even though our cars in the parking lots risk getting scratched, bumped-into, sometimes even stolen & nobody gives a tiny rats bum.

And when we suggest that 'Someone could' harm the car, we're sternly dealt with and even labelled 'Vandals' ! A lynch mob is ready to 'Report' our posts to the Mods, suggesting someone 'discipline' us, almost suggesting we be thrown out of the forum.

This guy finds a loophole and we applaud him? Has it become SO easy for people to overlook/applaud something SO SINISTER? This 'Scam them, treat me' crowd are probably the kind that surround our politicians. That's why our politicians are unapologetic about their crimes, because to them, its funny!

I recently read somewhere that it doesn't take a monster to do evil, all it takes is a person without the conscience of what's right and what's wrong.

"Keep things smooth, even if they're criminal, and people will just laugh it off." Is this the message we want to pass on? Has corruption become our virtue?
GrammarNazi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 10:36   #60
Senior - BHPian

How else can "Chalta Hai" attitude be defined.
The attitude shows that any person is okay if its done with others and will become aggressive when it starts affecting himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
So here's a guy who's literally committing a crime and the responses he gets are smiles, lol's and 'thumbs-up'...
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed