Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2013, 10:42   #1

Woman-friendly travel facilities in Trivandrum, Kerala

Recently three initiatives for the travel and safety of women have been started in Trivandrum

They are

1. She Taxi
2. Kudumbashree Travels
3. Women friendly autorickshaws

She Taxi

This programme is an intitiative of the Social Justice Department , Govt of Kerala. The main objective of the programme is ‘ Safe, Secure and Responsible’ travel for women . Women who have experience in driving for more than two lakh kilometers are employed as drivers for this programme. At present around five taxis have been launched. The vehicles are operated through a call centre. The service is available 24 x 7 . In case of any problem the driver can press a panic button and get the help of police. The vehicles are Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire and are coloured in pink and white. The service can be booked through online as well as through mobile phones

Kudumbasree Travels

Kudumbashree – ( ‘Kudumbam’– family and ‘shree’ - prosperity ) The word meaning is the prosperity of the family. Kudumbashree is a poverty alleviation programme launched by the Government of Kerala during the year 1998. The programme has about 37 lakh women members and covers more than 50% households in Kerala.
( For details pls visit http://www.kudumbashree.org )

Kudumbahsree Travels was launched by the Chief Minister during the last week of November. In the beginning eight white nano cars driven by women will be seen in the city from 6 am to 8 pm. The service gives priority for women and elderly couples. The service can be utilized from railway station and the bus stand.
Call centre contact number : 0471-2772200

Women friendly Autorickshaws

This service was launched by the Police on December 1 and is monitored by the police control room. The autos will be driven by males and available 24 x 7. In the beginning around 150 autos are enrolled and the drivers are given special training. The service is for women who have to travel late as part of their work. The vehicles will have pink stickers pasted on them with the words ‘Women friendly autorickshaw’ in English and in the local language malayalam.

Contact number : 100 , 1051
maneesh1098 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 14:39   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Woman-friendly travel facilities in Trivandrum, Kerala

As the most literate state in India, I'm sure Kerala can do better. Questions raised in my head:

- Just because a woman is driving the said vehicle, it is automatically deemed "woman-friendly"? Don't women commit crimes on other women?

- When choosing a driver, what is more important : the person's sex or driving skill? What next? Woman-friendly planes?

- What about us men and "male-friendly" public transportation?

- What about Senior-Citizen friendly, child-friendly and handicap-friendly transportation?

Kerala should instead focus on improving the overall transportation infrastructure. And if they want safer cabs, a careful background check, testing & training will result in safer drivers....irrespective of whether they are male or female.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 14:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneesh1098 View Post
Recently three initiatives for the travel and safety of women have been started in Trivandrum.
In spite of all this, a lady executive was raped a couple of days ago in a Resort near Trivandrum. So much more, by way of safer places of stay for women on the move is an absolute necessity.

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th December 2013 at 14:43.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 19:53   #4
BHPian

I think these initiatives have already shared here. Anyways they are worth appreciating. Recently one of our member had shared a story about women taxi drivers who are struggling to repay the bank loans. Authorities should foresee such situations and take proactive steps to address such situations.
Old 5th December 2013, 17:44   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Questions raised in my head:
From an idealistic point of view, these are all completely valid points.

However, in reality, (especially with the headlines of the last few months), i think this is a good initiative and I'm fairly sure almost all the women i know would prefer to travel in one of these cabs when traveling alone, especially late at night.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th December 2013 at 17:46.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 21:48   #6
BHPian

First it was the Mahila Bank. Now this. With the elections round the corner we will see more schemes like these. This reminds me of the rope tied in some Engineering college buses, isolating the girls from boys. IMO isolating women from men will only aggravate the situation. What needs to be done is initiate more dialogue between the two and make them understand each other better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneesh1098 View Post
In case of any problem the driver can press a panic button and get the help of police.
This panic button is the latest gadget that all transport authorities across cities are recomending. If some criminal minded driver is upto something, don't you think he wouldn't have figured out a way to make that thing from functioning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I'm fairly sure almost all the women i know would prefer to travel in one of these cabs when traveling alone, especially late at night.
Two women(driver & passenger) travelling in a cab in the night is more risky, as they can easily waylaid.

Last edited by Daewood : 5th December 2013 at 21:57.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 08:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

A good initiative, but raises a few eye brows when checked practically. Understandly women would want to ride in the vehicles driven by women esp at nights but how does this gurantee that women drivers themselves dont have men accomplices. Also what protection does the state offer the women driver themselves.

Instead, if the law n order is made more in order, then women would feel safe in any vehicles. I am sure women would prefer Pepper spray to panic button for the immediate safety.
Old 3rd February 2014, 21:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

"She Taxi" and "She Park" at Kochi

The She Taxi scheme is getting set for a Kochi launch soon. Saw the display of a She Taxi at yje Oberon Mall yesterday. Along with this the Oberon Mall is launching a She Park facility also. She Park is a seperate parking lot in the mall premises reserved exclusively for women who drive in to the Mall.The Dzire looks cute.
Attached Thumbnails
Woman-friendly travel facilities in Trivandrum, Kerala-1.jpg  

Woman-friendly travel facilities in Trivandrum, Kerala-2.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 3rd February 2014 at 22:15.

Most Viewed