Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2013, 19:00   #16
BHPian

re: A near miss; Saved by the skin of my teeth

Thank Almighty God that you and your wife are safe.

In fact the Kodungalloor -Thrissur Route & Thrissur - Kozhikode routes are also notorious for such kind of rash driving by private bus operators.

I tell my brothers to drive carefully on these stretches especially on the curves because no one knows when these private buses come breathing down your neck.

I used to see speed tracer cars(Indigo car in Maroon colour) in and around Ernakulam few years back, but hardly notice any these days. Any one know what happened to these speed trackers cars ?

Today early morning I was a spectator to a Verito car driving on the wrong side of the median(median in between Technopolis and Reliance petrol pump). He was trying to overtake a huge trailer and came face to face to my vehicle .Flashed my lights and showed him my decent long finger and manoeuvred out of his way.

Drive safe .
alexpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 23:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANUJ GEORGE View Post
Those guys rule the road just by intimidating the smaller ones. I guess it is time our super cop Mr. Singh takes on these unruly lot.
In fact, I did mail about the incident to the super star super cop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Even when the Ernakulam-Ettumanur road was in bad shape, I've survived traveling in these buses just by closing my eyes and praying for dear life. After dusk, they have absolutely no respect for other road users. I was expecting this; the biggest mistake these guys do is overtaking anywhere, even on a blind corner. Just thank your stars for this lucky escape.
Yes bad roads are what these guys prefer because they can easily outpace and outrun small vehicles. This is what they are doing presently in the Tripinithura-Udayamperoor stretch which is all broken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Oh. . Glad to hear that everyone is fine. Private bus in Kerala is such a menace. I seriously wish private buses are banned here and more KSRTC services are introduced.
We are fine except that my wife panicked as from the mobile she looked up to see this monster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrac View Post
Yes, that was a very good near miss! and let us learn and be prepared in future. This type of complete dis-regard to the basic road safety rules, is very very common. Another similar route where Private buses (some of them "Limited stops") keep breaking every existing rule is Mannuthy to Palakkad on the NH47.
Didn't you hear that most of the KSRTC buses do not have any Insurance cover?
The super fast passenger buses are driven in a much better manner than these private buses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
Rajeev, good that you are safe and nothing untoward happened. It will be a good idea to post it in Mr. Rishiraj Singh's page, giving the registration number of the bus
There are many a Mr Rishi Raj Singh pages and I was unable to identify the genuine one. I could not iclearly note the registration number then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I thought after the speed-governor enforcement drive by Rishiraj Singh IPS, private buses had been tamed. Apparently not.
- Both stop at random places to pickup/drop passengers and without any consideration to the traffic behind them who are taken by surprise by the abrupt stop. The drive is sedate for the next 8kms and I am surprised as he stops gently at all bus-stops, picks people up and drives on. Just a km before Kayamkulam, all hell breaks loose and he suddenly morphs into a race-driver, scaring other motorists and pedestrians.
The Kottayam-Ernakulam buses also practice this. They literally crawl till Ettumanoor and then lets all hell loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
Please do your bit to stop atrocities like this from happening, please complain to the MVD via their fb page, send an sms or write an email. The system may well be broken and may take ages to fix. But let's do something positive, one small step from our side.
Plus One to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpaul View Post
Thank Almighty God that you and your wife are safe. In fact the Kodungalloor -Thrissur Route & Thrissur - Kozhikode routes are also notorious for such kind of rash driving by private bus operators.Drive safe .
That stretch is also a route where one has to be extra vigilant.

Last edited by rajeev k : 10th December 2013 at 23:19.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 23:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Yesterday myself and my wife were saved by the skin of our teeth from getting smashed to smithereens.
Dear Rajeev sir, glad that nothing unfortunate has happened. Only was to stay safe is to drive extra careful and always watch for any lunatics on the road.

I remember couple of years back when speeding on this route became a menace, the local people would stop these buses, ask the drivers and conductors to come out of the bus and serve them 'kattanchaya' (black-tea). They were allowed to restart the trip after finishing the tea. The logic behind this was to calm these guys and help them relax.
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 07:50   #19
Team-BHP Support

Lucky escape indeed. More than anything Kerala is plagued with the menace of private buses and tipper trucks. IMO, public transport is one area which should not be privatized at all. Before starting with all those she-taxi initiatives, they should seriously do something to educate/counsel these bus operators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpaul View Post
In fact the Kodungalloor -Thrissur Route & Thrissur - Kozhikode routes are also notorious for such kind of rash driving by private bus operators.
I tell my brothers to drive carefully on these stretches especially on the curves because no one knows when these private buses come breathing down your neck.
True, there was an Indiavision video clip which showed the maniac speeds on the Thrissur – Kozhikode route. I remember in early days, they had police posts/punching stations to regulate speeds, but later they transformed to information centres – to provide information like “bus A has just left, and bus B left 5 mins back. If you really try you can catch them before Kecheri…”.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 18:20   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A near miss; Saved by the skin of my teeth

Quote:
Yesterday myself and my wife were saved by the skin of our teeth from getting smashed to smithereens.

....There is a blind turn sloping towards left and I slowed down from moderate speed, lesser than 60kmph, seeing a herd of vehicles approaching. Then came this monster, spitting venom in the form of blazing headlamps, all four on high beams, through the extreme right at break neck speed, trying to overtake all the vehicles in front of him in one go...
Thank God you & your better half are safe. I can relate to such an instance an year back. The culprit was a Mahindra jeep though. I had my parents with me and on a blind curve (around 7 PM) I enter and see this jeep overtaking another vehicle. I still remember getting off the tarmac in a split second and could hear my own heart beats for the next 3-4 seconds. Such morons do exist in Kerala and the twilight time adds upto the problem as the headlights can't be seen properly nor the roads are NOT lit properly.

Quote:
I thought after the speed-governor enforcement drive by Rishiraj Singh IPS, private buses had been tamed. Apparently not...
Their focus should have been first & foremost on these guys and later could have trickled down to the private vehicles. They are trying to solve the wrong puzzle.

Quote:
....Just a km before Kayamkulam, all hell breaks loose and he suddenly morphs into a race-driver, scaring other motorists and pedestrians. Apparently there was another bus coming behind which was the reason for this sudden stupidity. Given that the destination was just a km away, how many more passengers can he pick compared to the other bus, to drive at so much of a risk ? ..
I remember reading a feature in one of the daily, about a group formed by the private bus owners (between Kottayam - Kumarakom route) where they share the total earnings of the day equally. It does NOT matter who carries more passengers or who drives faster.

This also brought down the accidents caused by the private buses in this route, reduced rash / race driving & also a noticeable advantage in terms of fuel consumption and lesser wear & tear, which increased the profits for all those players.

I so wish everywhere this is implemented.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th December 2013 at 18:41.
Old 28th December 2013, 23:38   #21
BHPian

Re: A near miss; Saved by the skin of my teeth

Quote:

There are many a Mr Rishi Raj Singh pages and I was unable to identify the genuine one. I could not iclearly note the registration number then.
I could not respond on time, sorry for that. The official page of MVD kerala is https://www.facebook.com/mvdkerala where the complaint can be posted.
shinuak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks