Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2013, 18:37   #16
F50
Senior - BHPian

Re: Carswappings.com - Car Swapping service launched in India

Guys, the main criteria is owner (of the car) has to provide a driver. The stranger is NOT going drive your car.

Apart from that there are certain limitations as well like 8am to 8pm, 80kms per day, if the borrower exceeds the kilometers then he/she has to pay Rs. 12/km for hatchback and Rs. 16/km other than hatchback.

Good concept but not quite sure of the success. God forbid, something goes wrong, legal point of view, not sure how CarSwappings is going to take stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharoncr_17 View Post
What if the borrower has the habit of resting his left foot on the clutch?
What is he loves to keep a lighted cigarette in his right hand while driving?
What if he likes to keep the windows open while driving?
What if he doesn't care about pot holes? .
Thats nothing,

What if he eats pan/gutka and sneezes on the beige interiors?
What if his/hers kids jump on the beige seats and prefer eating sandwich and pav bhaji inside the car?

Im gonna make him/her pay for entire detailed cleaning!
F50 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 22:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

My car's simply driven by me or my dad, I once gave it to one of my best friend that too after lot of pestering for 2 km round and he came back with a scratch on bumper. After that i never give my car to anyone, be it my cousin or any of my close friend.

Only 2 of my friend's can drive it, one is a team-bhpian and other is one, who also loves the car, like we do.

So be it with driver or without driver, I won't ever think swapping my cars with some one else. Rather, get a radio cab or a pre booked taxi. For me car is not a utility rather it's like a living thing to me, I love her

Last edited by sameerg001 : 23rd December 2013 at 22:58.
Old 24th December 2013, 04:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

The entire concept hinges on trust and trust only.

IMHO it is a lot of inconvenience and hassle to solve a very small problem for which we have a lot of alternate, better and safer options. It is a non flyer especially in a country like ours.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 05:45   #19
BHPian

I have heard of "Holiday House Swapping" in the Europe and I guess this idea of car swapping comes from that.

Read: http://wikitravel.org/en/Home_exchan...nge_and_why.3F

In case the cities are not far, and am chauffeur driven, why won't I recruit a chauffeur who would be ok to travel with me?
If its too far a city I would be travelling, wouldn't I prefer to be chauffeur driven by a reputed agency than save few bucks by taking a swap?
selvagp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 08:14   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Ooooh!
Cringeworthy.
This actually makes me physically uncomfortable. I suppose some people may be joining up this initiative ,but not many of them would be here I presume.
Old 24th December 2013, 11:41   #21
BHPian

^
Agree as most among us stated, good concept but not practical in India.

Well, most BHPian don't want anybody to drive their own vehicles but there exists another class who would not mind in renting their vehicle to a chauffeur-driven family if a good offer is made and if its reliable. At least it would have generated quite some interest among small businessmen who usually own a fleet of cars for rent via contact network (not a fully functional transport company).

In this swapping scheme, not monetory benefit involved I do not see any motivating factor for anybody even willing to part away with his/her vehicle.
Old 24th December 2013, 12:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Just a query: Will you let another Bhpian drive your Car??

Like most people on the forum, I don't want anyone else to drive my car too, but if I know that the person using my car will take care of my car as much as I do, I don't mind.

I have a Petrol Civic which I practically don't use during weekdays at all. And being a petrol its depreciating like naphthalene balls sublime!!

Also if you have beater, you can use it for this purpose, especially if you travel often to other cities.

Good Idea!! Alteast gives you that option.
2000rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 14:03   #23
BHPian

There can be two types of people who can use this service:

1) People having a driver/Chauffeur.

2) People who do not have a driver/chauffeur but they have to mandatory provide a driver to drive their own car to ferry around some other people a.k.a Guests.

Quoted from the carswappings.com website:

Quote:
Welcome to the new world. World of NextEra, where dream of better travelling experience in Visiting City at cheaper cost comes true.
Most of the people having a driver belongs to a high and upper class and I don't think they will care about saving the money spent on taxis/cabs when they visit other cities rather them using other person's car. For them, convenience comes on top priority and not saving some moolah.
Why sit in an unknown car of an unknown person when you can hire an Innova or Etios for that matter.

Also, as per the website if you are registered under Free Plan then you need to provide your Car+Driver first in your City after that only you would be able to take Car+Driver in any city in India.

And for the people belonging to second type i.e. who do not have driver, employing a paid driver on daily wages will cost minimum Rs. 600-800 per day.

Do you think anybody will take this pain and and the added expenditure just to provide service to some unknown Guests. I don't think so.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 24th December 2013 at 14:06.
Sherlocked is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 15:43   #24
BHPian

I must say that it is one of the most stupid ideas I have ever heard! Their website says that "First Time Ever In the World". That is because no one in the world has ever dared to think up such a stupid idea . On a serious note, I was wondering why Mumbai and Navi Mumbai does not have a good self-drive option like "Zoom" in Bangalore. Can we have it in Mumbai or Navi Mumbai. It will be really great!
debmum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 16:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

This is not going to fly!!

No way am I to part with my beloved at whatever cost.

Chances of theft/damage would always remain.

As the good saying goes, Dont share Wife, Knife(being a hotel management student) and life(my car)!!
Old 24th December 2013, 16:54   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
This is not going to fly!!

No way am I to part with my beloved at whatever cost.

Chances of theft/damage would always remain.

As the good saying goes, Dont share Wife, Knife(being a hotel management student) and life(my car)!!
+1 to that!

The venture seems too ambitious for it's time, i'd rather hire a cab, than be part of it.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th December 2013 at 15:43. Reason: Lets stick to discussing CAR swapping only please :)
Old 24th December 2013, 17:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

@Chaudh2s
Very rightly expressed.

As for me, would prefer the radio cabs any time, any place, all times!!

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th December 2013 at 15:43. Reason: Lets stick to discussing CAR swapping only please :)
Old 24th December 2013, 17:06   #28
BHPian

How do they make money on this, apart from the advanced plan for 1200 bucks. What if I befriend the host the first time I meet him and deal with him directly every time I travel to that city, without involving carswappings?

Its a very small market they are targeting: someone who is willing to lend their car to a total stranger + someone who has got a chauffeur and willing to lend him too (preferably more than 1 chauffeur because if your driver drives for the guest, you are on self-drive mode for the day!).

Non starter idea for sure, feasibility is as important as innovation.

BTW, the English used in the website could have been better
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 17:37   #29

very unlikely...even when your driver is driving, he is under your control...the other driver will not be....

While the other guy will not bang your car, what about softer issues, like smoking inside the car, driving wity open windows etc...

Looks like a good intention but would be very difficult to implement....
Old 24th December 2013, 20:20   #30
BANNED

Points to Ponder:

1. If the car is used for any criminal activity, then the host will end up paying for it in more ways than one.

2. The mechanisms to enforce commitments is missing as also the alternatives for the potentially large amount of single point failures as there is only one car that is booked without any alternative in case there is a no-show.

What happens if after arriving at the city, he learns that the host's chaffeur has gone AWOL or the car has broken down or there has been an emergency in the host's house. What does Car Swapping expect the guest to do? Grin and bear it?

3. If the english on the website is an indication of management quality standards, you would be asking for trouble as soon as you sign up.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed