Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2013, 20:42   #31
BHPian

Re: Carswappings.com - Car Swapping service launched in India

Sounds like one of those typical dotcom startups whose fates were sealed even before they took off. Wonder how these guys managed to find VCs

That apart, I have learned the hard way that even the closest of your friends/relatives is not going handle your car the way you'd like it even if they know you're hyper about such things. The lesser said about total strangers the better.

Very few of us believe in returning borrowed items in good condition, so it's no surprise:

a. The first time I let someone use my bike, it came back with a broken key. That, I did not notice and the moment I inserted the key and turned it, I was left holding one half and the other half securely lodged inside the lock. As far as I know, I do not have the strength to break a 1 mm thick brass key into two with my fingers.
b. The first time I let someone use my car, it came back with the cigarette lighter missing (Thankfully, the socket did not disappear). Couple days later I found it in the boot (!) while cleaning.
c. The second time I let someone use my car, it came back with some ghastly sticky stains all over the left side of the dash and inside windshield. Turns out my brat of a toonager nephew decided he wanted to see the pepsi fountain trick in a moving car.

Not to mention every time it went out almost full tank and returned almost empty.

After that my car started having 'a problem' whenever someone wanted to borrow it. Strange coincidence huh?

So, am I going to let others use my car? No chance. Will I use someone elses' car? I'd rather walk, thank you.
isiv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 23:04   #32
BHPian

Only my God knows how heavy a heart I have when my wife borrows my jeep! I can not even entertain the thought of a stranger use it! When I had just bought my jeep, so many buddies wanted a short fun drive, I could not refuse, but still feel comfortable at the thought of that time.
Will I borrow someone else's car to drive? Not at all. If I bang/scratch it, I certainly will not enjoy getting it repaired from my wallet!
Old 24th December 2013, 23:27   #33
BHPian

I think the concept has been mis-understood.

Its not about allowing anyone to drive your car. Your very own driver will drive it. As someone highlighted earlier, the target population for this may be very small but i think its a fantastic idea.

I would love to be part of this if i had a driver ( there you go they have a customer already) . Here is what i get.

1. I offer my car with driver to someone to go from Point A to Point B. Please note that my own driver would be driving this so there is no way that the car would be abused. As far as spoiling the interior is concerned, i dont think anyone would pay money to do that. The target audience is very different over here. The person who would get the car is either someone who had already offered his car earlier to someone or paid money for membership.

2. By offering the car once, now iam assured that whenever i travel out of station, i would have a chauffer driven car for 1 such location ( ofcourse subject to availability) for myself. If i can cover 3-4 such places, it means that my vacation travel is taken care of.

3. Guys think it this way, If someone is coming from Delhi to Mumbai and there is another person who frequently visit from Mumbai to Delhi. doesnt this create a win win situation for both. Please note its the chauffer who would be driving for which you would be paying the monthly salary anyways.

4. I agree the idea is not good for self drive option or people who have to arrange for drivers just to host someone. But someone who already has a driver, it would be great.

5. I think this is a great initiative and is more suitable for a forum like team bhp than any other forum.There should be a thread on similar lines to swap or share cars on teambhp. Ofcourse, people can know each other through their car reviews and interact on phone before they agree to swap cars.
LoneWolf9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 01:36   #34

I don't quite understand the whole concept of it.
For a second, I thought this thread is about swapping duly registered cars amongst heir respective owners (cases when you wish to switch to a different vehicle and you have a person ready and willing to exchange his ride for yours). But having read the entire post as well as the website, I really don't understand the concept of it all. My doubts are as under:

1. If I've driven to a new/alien city (outside my registering authority, ofcourse !), it is a conscious choice I have made and of course, I plan to continue using my vehicle in that particular city or state with a chauffeur who has driven me down all this way anyway or drive it around personally (Wouldn't I just fly in or take a train otherwise?) ?

2. The law holds no bar on using a vehicle registered in a particular state in another for a temporary purpose (read Sec. 47, M.V. Act, 1988) (speaking purely as a lawyer here). So why would I even think about swapping my beloved ride (which has ofcourse brought me so far) with a vehicle which is alien and unknown to me, along with no antecedents about the person driving it ?

3. Besides the fact that the Donor's vehicle and chauffeur provided by him/her would be really helpful for me for my local runs around the town, what lies in it for the Donnee i.e. the person who has lent his vehicle to me and is now being driven around in mine (a vehicle of unknown history) along with a chauffeur with no idea about local demography (i.e. my chauffeur) ? What's in it for him ?

4. How do I ascertain that donor takes the same care of my vehicle as I'd prefer him to and vice-versa ?

5. Why do I need such a awkward swap to begin with ? Wouldn't I rather leave my baby home if I were to conquer unknown territories with unaware chaufferurs ?

6. All the other apprehensions fellow T-bhpians have already raised.

This concept may hold good in theory, but I see no reason why person in his right mind would opt for it. Like GTO said, the idea is a bomb and a non-starter to begin with, mostly because it makes no sense at all.
Auto_Bot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 13:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

Ever heard about Couchsurfing? Airbnb.com? It was a concept to begin with but the word travelled fast and as of today Couchsurfing has more than 6 million members in over 100,000 cities worldwide and Airbnb covers 34,000 cities in over 192 countries!

Although, both those services are mostly like paid rentals the concept about "letting someone use something that you own and care for" was not easy to digest and begin with. However, the benefits were many and people started adapting it pretty fast and made this entire concept a reality and a very successful business model even with the stringent competition offered from the age old existing hotel/motel/B&B business.

Carswapping works on the same principle. If I read correctly, you're eligible to participate in this program ONLY if you have a chauffeur-driven vehicle. That means your chauffeur will assist your guest in your car when they're in your town. And vice-versa!

There are pros and cons of this swapping service, but I do believe that this concept will find some takers. Car Rental services will be their main competition, but if marketed and adapted properly Car swapping should do brisk business.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 25th December 2013 at 14:01.
Old 25th December 2013, 16:56   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Carswapping works on the same principle.
I beg to differ. The main reason behind Airbnb's popularity is that it allows hosts to make a significant amount of $$$ off unused real estate. I've heard of house owners in India making Rs. 50,000 / month from a spare bedroom!!

With carswappings.com, no one makes any money. It's just swapping your chauffeur-driven car with others.

If airbnb only offered 'room swapping' (not rentals), odds are you & me wouldn't even have heard about it.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 22:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I would not allow anyone else to drive or use my car, to be very honest!

I like the idea, but I love my car more. I take care of it and dont want to leave it at any other user's whims and fancies!
Hi guys,
I don't give my car for valet parking leave alone give it to a chauffeur.
For me car is like family.
I think this service is applicable to those who use the car like thrash by giving it to their drivers.
Just my two cents about cars
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 09:51   #38
BHPian

I too find the concept very difficult to make a successful business idea. Most of the our members are not comfortable with idea. I agree that we are a small portion of the car owning population of India. But I think the reaction will be same if we ask others also.
Old 26th December 2013, 10:02   #39
BHPian

I am a Scrooge in giving my keys to the valet parking guys......
Old 26th December 2013, 10:44   #40
BHPian

As all said i would'nt give my car to anyone not even to my closest friends unless an emergency. Some how i dont feel comfortable.

Some times when i go the star hotels, even for valet parking i dont give the keys instead i will ask for the parking area. My parents dont seem to be happy with my behaviour. That's ok i dont mind
Old 26th December 2013, 11:53   #41
BHPian

The concept I believe might work in case of those people having multiple cars (and with a driver). In its current state and in our country this is almost a non-starter.

Slightly OT but related to what most members are saying in this thread:
Although I love my car and take care of it but in the end its just a car. A lot of members have said that 'they even don't hand over the keys for a valet parking and have trouble in giving cars to their friends'.
Honestly, I find it strange. Would all of you keep the same car all your life? Would you probably at some point of time not sell it?

If yes, and the feelings are that strong then those statements are justified, otherwise it's just all of us playing slightly selfish to be honest.
And I am not talking this in terms of car-swapping - That to me is a stupid idea anyway.

I repeat again - If you are indeed as attached to your car then like an extension of you, absolutely - don't let anyone touch it, else, just lighten up.
As for me- I let some of my friends drive my car but my bike is a different case altogether. I would not sell it ever or give it to anyone even for a test drive.
But that is me and my views, it may be different for others.

Let the brickbats arrive

Note to Mods: Please remove the post if you feel it is not relevant to this thread.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 26th December 2013 at 11:57.
Old 26th December 2013, 13:35   #42
BHPian

My car is mine. And thats the reason I find this quite odd. If I had to give it away to strangers for a fee I would start a taxi service and rent it out. So in my opinion this is unthinkable and for most BHPians who love their wheels this is unimaginable. A very identical analogy comes to mind but then this forum is not the right place to mention it. Anyway just my 2 cents on loaning my car to someone else.
Old 26th December 2013, 13:44   #43
BHPian

If I own a car with a chauffeur, I wouldn't need this service. I can afford to rent out a car at my convenience. There are a lot of hassles I foresee in co-ordination for renting my car out and taking someone else's car. I would personally take public transport than use someone else's car. Peace of mind is more valuable to me than free car rental.
Old 26th December 2013, 14:12   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I beg to differ. The main reason behind Airbnb's popularity is that it allows hosts to make a significant amount of $$$ off unused real estate. I've heard of house owners in India making Rs. 50,000 / month from a spare bedroom!!
The same concept as that of www.couchsurfing.org. Except that couchsurfing provides accommodation without any monetary benefit.
Old 26th December 2013, 14:13   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

I can understand having a spare car in the house hold, but who has a spare driver hanging around????

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks