Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2014, 16:48   #1
BHPian

Vehicle pile-up at Police Stations in India

Hi,

All of you would agree that a huge pile up of vehicles is a common sight at every police station across the country. They range from Cycles, Motorbikes, Mopeds, Scooters, Cars, Commercial Vehicles and the range is vast and endless. I am not sure if we have any count on the numbers of such vehicles gathering dust at these police stations.

The reasons of their being kept at the police station varies from case to case. Some are involved in accidents, some in theft cases, some are stolen from one part of the country and found at another part. Most of these have pending litigations on them.

Vehicle pile-up at Police Stations in India-pile-upphoto-1.jpg

Vehicle pile-up at Police Stations in India-pilephoto-2.jpg

In India, we have special attachment with our vehicles. We do a lot of research before buying them. A lot of effort is put on arranging the funds to buy. Auspicious days are selected for taking deliveries. They are then taken to a religious place for performing prayers for better luck and safety.

Yet due to certain unforeseen circumstances, they land up at police station and then the abuse starts. Parts are replaced and stolen. Cases in the courts drags for years. Insurance settles certain cases but the debris continue to remain at police stations.

Though something that I am starting a thread on is not new to anyone of you. However, I came back with a thought that "Do the vehicles deserve such handling? What is anybody achieving with this kind of pile up at police stations. Can't we have a mechanism where by we continue to see them on roads and not on ground gathering dust.

My objective is to brainstorm among ourselves that what could be the possible solutions to end this kind of menace.

Imagine, how nice our police stations would look when we see them without these pile ups. Will they not become a better place for our police officers to work.

A clean working environment will further motivate them to increase their work efficiency. No one likes to see this kind of scrap both in front of homes and work.
mints21 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 09:41   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Vehicle pile-up at Police Stations in India

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Street Experiences. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 09:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

I guess we need an impound yard where all penalized vehicles can be stored instead of piling up at the local station. It makes a mess of the place and often at the cost of pedestrian space/traffic space which as we all know is pretty scarce these days.

Or let the vehicles be at the owner's place and let the police keep the documents in custody so that the owner cannot sell it.
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 09:52   #4
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Having seen our neighbour's vacant plot being used as the Police station's vehicle parking (dumping) yard I have seen first hand how they handle these vehicles in their custody. For any vehicle lover it is extremely painful to say the least. Luckily my ordeal ended after a year since the Poilice Station was shifted to it's new location as the one near my home was a temporary location.
I think in most cases the problem is with long duration required to dispose the court cases. In fact, in most instances by the time the case it settled, the vehicle is almost just junk ready to be scrapped due to missing parts, bad maintenance and handling by the cops.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 10:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, Its a pain to see the cars in such bad condition. I really appreciate the efforts of our fellow bhpian mints21 to come up with such a significant issue. My sector also has a police station and I agree that the police officials are majorly occupied with day-to-day work load hence they do not have much time for keeping the cars safe in their custody. For them it is nothing more than a piece of junk but they should be mindful of the fact that it is someone's precious belonging as well.

Thanks

AD

Last edited by ad3952n : 28th January 2014 at 10:45. Reason: sentences edited
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 11:17   #6
BHPian

Vehicles wait for their burial in police stations, in RTO offices, in RDO offices, in Thaluk Offices, in Court complexes. Wonder if there's a law/authority to decide what do you do with impounded vehicles.

Sometime earlier, in a casual conversation with a brake inspector, revealed that most of the vehicles that are left unattended are the ones, which don't have any valid papers what so ever or those that are not worth owning. If the owner wants, he can 'convince' any authority to take it from the vehicle graveyard.

I also have seen a number of vehicles lying unattended on the roadside, for ages. Just abandoned.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 11:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is indeed a shame. Thanks for bringing this topic out in the open. Shouldn't someone approach the SC with a PIL or something to stop this practice and to promote the formulation of a better approach?
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 12:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
This is indeed a shame. Thanks for bringing this topic out in the open. Shouldn't someone approach the SC with a PIL or something to stop this practice and to promote the formulation of a better approach?
To reduce the pile up and to raise funds, the authorities are auctioning vehicles after 3 months of they being seized.

Link to article
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 12:48   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Impounding yards normally collect fee based on length of parking. People would rather commit harakiri than pay time based charges knowing how long it takes to get court cases finished.

Most of the time vehicles involved in theft or non-accidental impouding are released on "supurdari" / custody against guarantee. But those involved in accidents are kept as evidence. Though seeing the picture I wonder how much of evidence value is left in these junk piles.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 13:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Stupid British era laws, being followed because the respected police force know no better! What purpose does it serve to keep a car involved in a accident case for 1 year? What new findings did the great police men find out over 365 days, that they couldn't have found in a span on 2-3 hours? Is the car by itself alive, for the police to hold it, preventing it from committing one more accident? If there were international moron awards, I am confident our Bharat Sarkar, babus and police would win hands down every year.
I am sure no one in the government knows why are such funny laws being followed, and they are too dumb or busy collecting bribes to care!! A simple clean up of all old archic British era laws, would propel our country to the 21st century.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 14:59   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The 'imports gathering dust in India' thread has a lot more pics. Some really nice rides gathering dust. Click here to see a 1+ crore Landcruiser 200!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 15:36   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

On similar lines, 'Vehicles neglected by owners and gathering dust in apartment complexes/housing colonies'. I am seeing a lot of this. Mainly 2 wheeler's and even cars. Seems like when people upgrade to a car they start neglecting the bike and soon it becomes a heap of rust. In my small apartment complex itself I have counted 5 bikes and one car lying neglected and unusable. Very sad sight to see.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 16:10   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
On similar lines, 'Vehicles neglected by owners and gathering dust in apartment complexes/housing colonies'. I am seeing a lot of this. Mainly 2 wheeler's and even cars. Seems like when people upgrade to a car they start neglecting the bike and soon it becomes a heap of rust. In my small apartment complex itself I have counted 5 bikes and one car lying neglected and unusable. Very sad sight to see.
This is also because proper vehicle scrapping rules are pretty much non-existent in India. You can sell the vehicle to your FNG or local scrap metal dealer who salvages parts out of it, but you can't be sure of liability issues. In such a scenario, most people find 'park it and forget about it' a safer approach, though it wastes space and creates nuisance.

We need better facilities to dispose off unusable vehicles, out-of-commission for whatever reason (legal, ageing or just simply not required by owner anymore).
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2014, 11:15   #14
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Unclaimed vehicles are becoming a big problem now for the Traffic police stations in Bangalore.
Source:
Indian Express Newspaper, Bangalore Edition 27 April 2014 - Story
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 19:08   #15
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

And now, software to help track owners of unclaimed vehicles.
Hope this helps address the problem, seems like a good start with owners of 99 such vehicles being traced.

Source:
New Indian Express, Bangalore Edition 2 June 2014 - Link to story

Most Viewed