Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2006, 16:11   #16
BHPian

Just thinking aloud, what will you guys do in Kolkata in full blast??
Old 19th July 2006, 14:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi
Just thinking aloud, what will you guys do in Kolkata in full blast??

Today Kolkata was under water, although the levels were not as high as recently found in other parts of the country, but nevertheless a large part of my daily 22 km commute had been waterlogged, add to this I had to drop someone to his office and in that process had to drive thru More than Knee-deep water.

Whenever there is water logging, the Battery indicator on my Ikon 1.6 nxt comes on and accompanied with the Steering loosing power (as the drive belt is slipping). So each time out of the pool one has to rev it a bit to dry the belt to regain steering power. But today it was almost not there as there was hardly any dry patch that was lower than calf height so had to drive with a very heavy steering , for 10-15 kms almost at crawling speeds.

But today few things happened, the music sytem just stopped working when I noted that the Tacho had died down, so had the horn , the Wiper was going feeble, but the Engine kept going almost. I was quite sure that the electrical were getting Short circuited and just hoped that the engine does not packup.

Top that with the fact that I normaly "Ford" thru water in first gear and keeping the engine a bit raced, but today there were jerks from the clutch in first gear, so had to go into the second cog and maintain higher momentum. Felt real bad for some padestrians I had to involuntarily splash on, I generally make it a point not to splash on people.

Add to that a nutcase of a SINP (Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics) bus which was happy in the fact that it was way above the waters causing some huge waves. The same bus is usually driven madly on other days, one day I am going to call up the SINP office and complain.

Last edited by 1100D : 19th July 2006 at 14:12.
Old 7th August 2007, 14:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Okay i had started this thread last year but then i faced a similar situation today while comin back from airport but the areas where the same.
Was passing through fatima behind a zen which was at a considerable distance as my brakes because of the constant water logging passes had lost out on its bite.
The throttle is full down and we are going slowly when the zen stops.I honk honk honk but this guy is just standing there.Then he takes a right and goes from the other side and an armada stops and let this guy pass.A taxi had stalled on our side of the road and i pass too.
While i was waitin for this zen guy to move the throttle was 95% down and i noticed that smoke was comin out from the exhaust and as the direction of the air was in our side i saw the smoke which i was surprised on seeing.I could not see smoke coming out of any other cars other than mine.What could it be?Can the excessive revving cause the piston rings to go kaput?My car has never ever consumed oil and i change it every 5000 km or 6 months and before changing the oil i check the oil level and its always on full.
Do i have anything to worry about?After i reached home i asked my mom to throttle down and initially some smoke was visibly coming from the exhaust after which it stopped.
Please advice.
Old 7th August 2007, 14:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Could be the cold water coming in contact with the HOT exhaust system ?
Old 7th August 2007, 14:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Could be the cold water coming in contact with the HOT exhaust system ?
Will this exhaust smell like how it would if something was buring like oil?Can excessive revving for say like a min damage the piston rings or cause oil consumption?
Old 7th August 2007, 21:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Excessive revving can damage the engine especially on a stationary car. The faster compression and heating can cause the head gasket to blow. (althoug Piston rings wont give in that early) Moreover 95% down with clutch in would mean that you were redlining the car. The trick is to just keep the throttle down from the usual position so that the reves are about 2.5-3k not more.

For the Head gasket thing, on a cold car, take of the radiator cap and thenstart the engine, if you see bubbles inthe coolant, thats a sign of the headgasket being blown.

Last edited by 1100D : 7th August 2007 at 21:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks